advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

After a prostatic problem (surgery on its way), two herniated discs, an awful acute lumbago (one week not able to stand), a deep venous thrombosis, a brain stroke, I’ve just been diagnosed another nice thing called leukodystrophy.
I’ve yet no idea what it is exactly but there it is.
Ageing is a bugger. And I’m only 57. Damn.

It's the name for a group of genetic disorders. Crikey, you don't have the best of health luck do you? I do hope all your ailments get sorted. below is a link to a UK charity for some more info

https://www.thebraincharity.org.uk/...ice/a-z-of-conditions/43-l/187-leukodystrophy

After a prostatic problem (surgery on its way), two herniated discs, an awful acute lumbago (one week not able to stand), a deep venous thrombosis, a brain stroke, I’ve just been diagnosed another nice thing called leukodystrophy.
I’ve yet no idea what it is exactly but there it is.
Ageing is a bugger. And I’m only 57. Damn.

Sorry to hear of your situation. Let's look on the bright side. There are many in a worse position.

You have your mind in good shape...we have proof here on pfm.

Best wishes...

It was a recipe for 'Supershit'..which basically seemed to involve dissolving the stuff in petrol, filtering off the solids and then evaporating the petroleum to leave a yellowish solid,...

That name would have referred to the consequences, surely.

I did. Very carefully, over time. Just enough each time to give me a bit of a buzz. It was also rather tasty on a savoury biscuit.

Nothing went to waste except the slightly wasted.

Thing is, five years ago my health was perfect, or so I thought.

That's a sorry tale, Chartz and I wonder if you have any idea of why all these ailments have come about in such a short time AND at your young age. I thought you were an Anglais living in my favourite wine region; never thought you were French (by your written English, of course).

I'll take that as a nice compliment then, thanks!
Yes, I wonder about the odds too.
I'm a rather relaxed kind of person and I have a job I love, I'm happily married, and I am fortunate to have great kids too, even though my youngest also has a rare disease (2/million).

Last edited:
And you have mine. Thanks.

And mine.

I urge you and your family to include a small amount of seaweed in your diet on a daily basis- as a preventative (possibly) to deter future adverse health consequences.

I have done so for many decades and have had no illness. I should have died half a century ago- given my state and how I was living.

Seaweed is a natural product. It contains, in balanced form, many vitamins and trace elements missing from farmed products, due to the soils they are grown in being depleted by chemicals, fertilisers and unwise commercial practices.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but instead of creating another related thread I figured best to search for an existing one, and this is about the closest I could find, so I'll append what I was going to write on a new thread here, so it's amongst kindred spirits etc...
---
My father, who has been on his own now for about nine years, is starting to struggle with stairs and has a lot of the 'old man problems' that you'd expect of a nearly-80-year-old who carries too much weight. His nice home is starting to decay due to his inability to keep on top of the routine maintenance, the garden is getting beyond him and he's also getting to be very stubborn. I'm about an hour and a bit away, my sister two hours away, and other than our visits, he barely sees anyone. He's - how can I put this - not exactly the most agreeable old gentleman, so over the years friends have fallen away (either through apathy, his cantankerousness, or just by passing). His social circumstances are a bit grim, and he shows no interest in doing much more than sitting at home, watching crap daytime TV and complaining about everything.

My sister and I are thinking about buying a flat near to her (something on the ground floor in a modern, quality development in a good part of Aberdeen - in fact, on the same street as my sister) and have seen a couple that would work well. Problem is, he refuses to give in to common sense. To be fair, he'd be far better off in a smaller, modern place, closer at least to my sister and her family. We already technically own his home (he passed it onto us a while back, but remains living there) and it probably needs a fair bit of work, which would be easier without having to work around him. Plus, he'd cope better with a nice, warm, easy to heat flat (that's actually very nice).

I figured others here have probably been through this, so looking for any advice, stories from the trenches, persuasive arguments for awkward old sods, even practical thoughts on whether we should even be considering this. Left up to him, he'd be happy - well, that's the wrong word - shall we say, resigned? - to living out his remaining days in a cocktail of bored isolation and increasing squalor (he's not cleaning the house well and refuses our offer to get a cleaner in a couple of days a week).

I know, I know, a very open-ended and contentious subject, but I - no, we - are at a loss here. You'd think he'd jump at the chance to be around family and the grandkids, but no.

Anyone?
So your dad's about the same age as Keith Richards and you want to tie him down.

I feel I’m becoming number one and fear progressing to number 2 and 3. I first noticed a couple of years ago that young women were holding doors open for me and shop keepers were unusually helpful and solicitous.

I feel I’m becoming number one and fear progressing to number 2 and 3. I first noticed a couple of years ago that young women were holding doors open for me and shop keepers were unusually helpful and solicitous.
I feel I score points whenever I’m called ‘love’ or ‘dear’ by a supermarket cashier lady under half my age and mentally punch the air with delight if they offer to help me find the right change.

advertisement

Back