advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

Good Morning from sunny France.

I joined PFM Jan 12 2004.

I realised over the last few years how much body strength I was losing when moving 1 metre long logs and cutting them in half. Then last year I developed a carpel tunnel problem. While seeing the surgeon for said problem he said ok just an ECG then next week we will operate. After the ECG I was trundled down the corridor to see another Doc. Chatting after further tests he said well you have had a heart attack in the last year!!!

A few weeks later after 4 stents and being informed that part of my heart was knackered here I am still plodding on.

My life was pretty full, dog walking and photography, now I can barely pick up my camera and 500mm lens (bird photography), waiting to come off blood thinners, so I can have my carpel tunnel op. I am 78 by the way.

Dave.

P.S No grammar police please English grammar is not my strongest point.
My daughters dog has added 10,000 steps a day of exercise for my wife.

There seems to be no manual for this old age thing. You get to a stage where a slight twinge stays with you for longer than you expect and you think "Well I've got that for the rest of my life"
Another 54 year old joiner here, it must be the equivalent of Rock and Rolls age of 27 :)

I was remarking on another fave site that in 12 months I've gone from being able to walk several miles.. to struggling with a mile. Also gone from generally active and strong..to feeling weak .slow etc...

?

Serious question. Have you any cardiac history?
What you describe could well fit with ischaemic heart disease/angina. We get many coming in with MIs who have that sort of experience in preceding months.
Might be worth getting checked out if you have no cardiac history - or even if you have.

I'm another of the PFM 73 year olds. Last year's medical treatment knocked my fitness for six. I did very little walking and no lifting for several months. I read somewhere that even the time it takes to recover from a simple operation can cause the elderly to lose several years of fitness. I'm finding out the truth of it.
I've been beekeeping for eleven years. It involves quite a bit of bending, lifting and twisting. and after a couple of hours of beekeeping yesterday I was aching all over. I retired to my armchair. The only way my wife could get me out of it for my evening meal was to pull the cork out of a bottle of wine.
In a few minutes I'll be walking out to get my newspaper. There are several alternative circular walks to the paper shop. Some involve hills. I won't be doing one of those uphill routes today.
There's a small weightlifting gym near to my home. I've never been a gym bunny, but a couple of years ago I started going there a couple of times a week to keep my muscles toned. It was bad luck that lockdown coincided with my recovery, but as soon as I feel confident that the COVID threat is receding I'll be back there.

Yikes, I joined 15 years ago! How did that happen? I had a nice ego boost the other day - I was sitting chewing the cud at the sailing club and I asked how old one of the guys is. He said "I'm 52, about the same age as you". I said "actually, I'm 63"
I've been lucky that my hair has stayed the same colour without help, but my late dad went white overnight in his sixties, so it will happen soon.
It is getting more difficult pushing the boat up the slipway though. I blame it on global warming.

This thread demonstrates how differently we all age. I was out on my daily walk yesterday and met a neighbour who recognised me from seeing me out and about. He asked me how much I walked and went on to explain he is 76 and walks a 20-mile circuit every Monday & Friday. I was eager to get away as I was afraid he was going to ask me to come along with him o_O I must admit, he looked very spritely.

The reason you slow down when you get older is to aid the Grim Reaper so he does not have to run fast and catch you :D

Must admit I am slowing down now at 66 :(

Joined PFM many years ago, as I wanted to follow the mains spur threads that were abundant on here at that time.

Ive been blessed with reasonable physical fitness other than a few bits that don’t work from time to time. Ears have had to be carefully nursed thru the ages due to having ‘glue ear’ as a kid. Recent self medication and by a process of elimination has actually improved the good days I have with my hearing.

Had a bit of a blood pressure scare recently which, thankfully, has vanished as quickly as it appeared - watching brief and frequent home testing for this the new way forward.

The biggest thing for me in my mid 50’s is little aches and pains take much longer to heal. It’s ok your mind being still young, but it’s a bastard when your body doesn’t seem to want to keep up.

When I did my first half marathon, there was a guy who finished almost last...but he did finish.

He was 91 !!
He said that he started doing long distance running at the tender age of 61 , and in that 30 year period had done marathons, half marathons and other distances.

Wow...not for everyone, but you have to respect his commitment.

advertisement

Back