advertisement

Afghanistan withdrawal.

Had a conversation with an Friend of mine from Afghanistan today, and he’s very concerned about their economic future more than their security. The US are blocking access to the reserves in Afghan banks..

The state workers want to work, the Government want to pay them, but the US has blocked access to the Afghanistan bank reserves.

This will not end well.

Anyone else know more about this??

This article might be a good starting point: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/18/business/afghan-central-bank.html?searchResultPosition=1

And this might be more informative: https://www.nytimes.com/search?dropmab=false&query=Afghanistan finance&sort=best

I recognise that the US and its allies have got the objects of their targeting horribly, horribly wrong from time to time but the 20k is an estimate and how do you distinguish between a Taliban member and say a farmer in the aftermath?

There’s a number of accredited independent organisations that investigate civilian casualties killed in drone strikes.

And as for the strike mentioned?, Does anyone consider an apology is enough for killing 10 innocent civilians?, I’d want to see those who authorised the strike to be held accountable at the very least.

None of the Taliban leaders have lost weight

and all those clever people who froze Afghanistan's assets must feel nothing at all - apart from satisfaction of spite

Too many small minded, vested interests want the Taliban to fail.
Those at the bottom can starve and die.
Grim world with Afghanistan just one of the places where people are expendable to prove a point

I've read a few opinions pieces on Al Jazeera that argue that western governments recognise that they'll need to have some sort of relationship with the Taliban regime even if they don't formally recognise it. The problem is engaging in any form of diplomacy without upsetting an electorate who largely view the Taliban as terrorists.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Taliban are a disaster - for women and LGBTQ people in particular - but diplomacy isn't about only talking to the nice people unfortunately.

I've read a few opinions pieces on Al Jazeera that argue that western governments recognise that they'll need to have some sort of relationship with the Taliban regime even if they don't formally recognise it. The problem is engaging in any form of diplomacy without upsetting an electorate who largely view the Taliban as terrorists.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Taliban are a disaster - for women and LGBTQ people in particular - but diplomacy isn't about only talking to the nice people unfortunately.

Quite. It`s not as if the West doesn`t have a long and (in)glorious history of doing mutually profitable deals with very dodgy regimes.

Maybe 'the electorate' should be told that revenge on a small Al Qaeda (itself funded, trained and armed by the CIA) for 9/11 should not have meant killing so many Afghans, destroying their limited infrastructure, occupying their country for 20 years and now starving them. Which part of 'protecting their human rights' is starving them ?
Wasn't it just an illegal war like Iraq ? But USA/UK governments lie about so many things...

This kind of procedure is normal in most of the world. While we who live in the small part of the world with democracy, political stability and civil rights think we are "normal" and they are "savages." And we are really no better, just think of how the highly civilized Germans, with their vaunted code of military honour, murdered entire social classes in occupied areas, and murdered millions of prisoners of war who had surrendered.

Absolute joke.

Mr Marshall said there were "usually 5,000 unread emails in the inbox at any given moment" and "in thousands of cases emails were not even read", including cases from MPs.

Staff in the crisis centre who previously worked for the Department for International Development could not access FCDO computers because "the DFID and FCO IT systems are not yet integrated. They were visibly appalled by our chaotic system".

Mr Marshall described how soldiers were brought in to help but many had not used the computer systems before and so mistakes were made. The computers had to be shared because FCDO IT had not issued passwords to unlock them. At one point eight soldiers shared one computer.

Afghanistan: Foreign Office chaotic during Kabul evacuation - whistleblower

Programme on rad 4 today telling how a surgeon had his hand chopped off as his brother worked for BBC. Pretty shocking and makes you realise why so much panic to escape

advertisement

Back