advertisement

Afghanistan withdrawal.

Is anyone else slightly dubious that one bomb vest killed almost 200 people?

There are some reports that the attack was one PBIED and gunmen, possibly two (*).

(*) It's quite easy to hide in plain sight if you're a beardy chap with an AK-47.

Having seen bomb vests and lots of other ordnance detonate, I’m finding it hard to credit a single IED vest having enough explosive power to kill 169 Afghans and 13 servicemembers.

Sad but true. If anything, I think it underlines the point that the US, in particular, needs to be out of Afghanistan immediately if not sooner.
There’s no solution is there, that is the problem. I always roll my eyes whenever people pontificate about the Middle East.

I just feel for the people as they will continue to suffer & things are not going to get any better. Makes you appreciate how lucky we are in the UK.

Heard on Aljazeera the bomb went off and then multiple gun men opened up with machine guns

That would make a lot more sense. As I wrote, I'm having a hard time fathoming a bomb vest being able to kill that many people. Not to be indelicate, but a human body absorbs a lot of explosive force. If there were multiple shooters that makes a lot more sense.

Where is the 200 dead figure coming from? Sky are reporting 95 (Sky News), which is still obviously absolutely horrific. I think I heard elsewhere that it wasn’t a single explosion/event too.

Where is the 200 dead figure coming from? Sky are reporting 95 (Sky News), which is still obviously absolutely horrific. I think I heard elsewhere that it wasn’t a single explosion/event too.

The Washington Post and New York Times are reporting "in excess of 170 deaths."

Where that number comes from I do not know.

'Islamic Terrorism' is a lazy term that ignores a history fraught with complexity. In any case it was/is a reaction to the terrorism of others. There was no 'Islamic Terrorism' a few decades ago. In fact the Muslim world gave protection to Jews fleeing Christian terrorism for centuries.
The nation states of the Middle East were largely imposed by Western Imperialism: in what sense should they be 'proper' ?
Christian terrorism on a grand scale was seen in the illegal invasions of Iraq and Libya. And before them in Algeria, Yemen etc Much to be ashamed of so better to avoid the use of such emotive terms.

Pakistan helped create the Taliban in the 1990s It was one of three countries to recognize their government. It will be interesting to see how they play this.

Pakistan helped create the Taliban in the 1990s It was one of three countries to recognize their government. It will be interesting to see how they play this.

The current Government will be watching with great interest. The last thing they want is their population taking inspiration from Afghanistan for a change of leadership to a less moderate regime.

Statement from President Biden:
This morning, I met with my national security team in Washington and my commanders in the field. We discussed the strike that U.S. forces took last night against the terrorist group ISIS-K in Afghanistan. I said we would go after the group responsible for the attack on our troops and innocent civilians in Kabul, and we have. This strike was not the last. We will continue to hunt down any person involved in that heinous attack and make them pay. Whenever anyone seeks to harm the United States or attack our troops, we will respond. That will never be in doubt. I thanked General McKenzie for his leadership of that mission, and for his commitment to the safety of our troops in Afghanistan.

The situation on the ground continues to be extremely dangerous, and the threat of terrorist attacks on the airport remains high. Our commanders informed me that an attack is highly likely in the next 24-36 hours. I directed them to take every possible measure to prioritize force protection, and ensured that they have all the authorities, resources and plans to protect our men and women on the ground. They assured me that they did, and that they could take these measures while completing the mission and safely retrograding our personnel.

Despite the treacherous situation in Kabul, we are continuing to evacuate civilians. Yesterday, we brought out another 6,800 people, including hundreds of Americans. And today, we discussed the ongoing preparations to help people continue to leave Afghanistan after our military departs.

The 13 service members that we lost were heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our highest American ideals and while saving the lives of others. Their bravery and selflessness has enabled more than 117,000 people at risk to reach safety thus far. May God protect our troops and all those standing watch in these dangerous days.

Not good at all. This is only going to escalate the situation. I have a bad feeling about this...

Watched a fascinating film on the opium trail on Amazon prime, 15 years old but gives a real flavour of life smuggling opium to Iran, meanwhile the Taliban were burning the schools and local people were not bothered as the children could go back into the fields to work. Worth watching if you get a chance

Watched a fascinating film on the opium trail on Amazon prime, 15 years old but gives a real flavour of life smuggling opium to Iran, meanwhile the Taliban were burning the schools and local people were not bothered as the children could go back into the fields to work. Worth watching if you get a chance

One of the reasons they were not worried about the burning of schools is because if the children were educated and left there would not be anyone to look after the old, now if there was some kind of social care of the elderly plus education for the young then maybe….

Yes I did say the US was more than complicit in much of this, and indeed its military or 'humanitarian' interventions have slain large numbers. Putting all the blame on the West for the Middle east's never ending turmoil however is also a very lazy trope. No Islamic Terrorism in the Middle East a few decades ago, not the 1979 Iranian revolution ? Are you aware of the amount of Terror unleashed there? The amount of people executed by the Ayatollah's regime, some of whom were his allies at the beginning. Saudi Arabia uses Terror on a daily basis as part of its state apparatus. As I said a large part of the Middle Easts problems is it's Tribalism, it's Sunni/Shia schism, it's lack of democracy, and the sooner it comes into the modern world, the better for its people.

Not all the blame: just 95%.
The 1979 Iranian Revolution was a direct result of the 1953 CIA/British overthrow of the legitimate democratic Government of Iran.
Saudi Arabia's internal politics cannot be termed 'Islamic Terror' in the sense anyone would understand it.
USA or the UK are hardly a good example for democracy or the modern world (whatever that means), especially now.

They may be old and wrinkly resembling shrivelled anchovies but at last Biden has grown a pair:

This morning, I met with my national security team in Washington and my commanders in the field. We discussed the strike that U.S. forces took last night against the terrorist group ISIS-K in Afghanistan. I said we would go after the group responsible for the attack on our troops and innocent civilians in Kabul, and we have. This strike was not the last. We will continue to hunt down any person involved in that heinous attack and make them pay. Whenever anyone seeks to harm the United States or attack our troops, we will respond. That will never be in doubt. I thanked General McKenzie for his leadership of that mission, and for his commitment to the safety of our troops in Afghanistan.

The situation on the ground continues to be extremely dangerous, and the threat of terrorist attacks on the airport remains high. Our commanders informed me that an attack is highly likely in the next 24-36 hours. I directed them to take every possible measure to prioritize force protection, and ensured that they have all the authorities, resources and plans to protect our men and women on the ground. They assured me that they did, and that they could take these measures while completing the mission and safely retrograding our personnel.

Despite the treacherous situation in Kabul, we are continuing to evacuate civilians. Yesterday, we brought out another 6,800 people, including hundreds of Americans. And today, we discussed the ongoing preparations to help people continue to leave Afghanistan after our military departs.

The 13 service members that we lost were heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of our highest American ideals and while saving the lives of others. Their bravery and selflessness has enabled more than 117,000 people at risk to reach safety thus far. May God protect our troops and all those standing watch in these dangerous days.

The current Government will be watching with great interest. The last thing they want is their population taking inspiration from Afghanistan for a change of leadership to a less moderate regime.

Let's kill a few hundred thousand Pashtuns for something that had nothing to do with them but hope that their brothers and cousins across an artificial border be OK with that... aka stay moderate. :rolleyes:

advertisement

Back