advertisement

Affordable camera for mainly videography

cj66

pfm Member
My son has decided his needs, as a budding videographer, have most definitely left the borrow of my FZ150 woefully insufficient.

He's now looking for something more capable though it doesn't need to be a latest model so deals on older offerings are welcome. He's not keen on second hand though.

As alluded to, although he does take stills the video side is far more important to him.

His own research has pointed him to the Canon EOS 70D. Here, there are some clearance deals on NOS units now that the 80D and even 90D have already hit the streets. He can get it with the 18-55 lens for under £600.

Can he do better?

I'd look at the Panasonic G80, now its been superceeded its at a good price (£499 at Wex (and othe rplaces) with 12-60, and you could add 25mm F1.7 for just over £100 notes). It has 4K recording (as well as HD), but also has IBIS, and all the base interfaces that you need along with a microphone input. Body is weather sealed as well.

I Bought one for my son 3 years ago, while he was doing a video/filmaking college course, he's not outgrown it yet and is in his first year at university doing the same subject.

Stills are not bad, the only real downside is low light capability (more noticable on stills) due to the relatively small sensor size.

Not used the G80 for video but it is a very capable camera at the current price. It handles well as stills camera and as I understand it Panasonic have good reputation in video.

My son runs a video and social media company (plug: www.pixelbarnstudios.co.uk ) and uses a Fuji X-T1 and the 18-55 Kit lens along with a Pentax 50mm f1.8 and a couple of longer lenses for motorsport use, plus tripods, stabilisers, handles, microphones etc. He is thinking of X-T4 or X-H1, but he doesn't really need 4K at the moment as most of the videos end up on websites or instagram. X-T1 bodies can be bought quite cheaply and you can adapt all sorts of lenses to the Fuji body. Sony and Lumix seem to be the go-to video tools at the moment, but as I have lots of Fuji kit he can borrow, he's decided to stick with Fuji for now.

Thanks guys. I've passed all that along.
The G80 looks like a possible, better option to me but it's not my choice.

Why ignore savings on used cameras? I’ve bought and sold at MPB cameras many times - including a bunch of cameras for a school - and would at least recommend you have a look.

Agree with looking for good used. Far more bang for the £££ unless he really wants the kudos of 'new' kit. MPB are excellent. Something like a GH4, G80, Fuji XH-1 or XT2.

While I haven't bought from them, I sold all my Canon 35mm gear through Ffordes.

Less risky than trying eBay, they check out the gear and their reputation depends on giving buyers an honest assessment. Ffordes offer a 6 month warranty on used gear.

I would add the Canon EOS RP to the list.
Despite all the hate it gets (mainly for its dynamic range), it shoots pretty nice 1080p video, although the lenses for it probably need to be bought used.
Slightly used, it is sitting at a price point, where I don't think it can get much cheaper.

advertisement

Back