Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice required on cheap car - to £1,500

Discussion in 'off topic' started by glenda, Aug 12, 2022.

1. glenda

glenda pfm Member

Hi folks,
    We live around 1.5 miles from a small town with excellent public transport but the track leading to our property is onto an A road with no pavements. The path at the back of the house leads to a paved cycle path.
    We are hoping to house a Ukrainian family from the end of the month , a woman and 3 girls over 12.My wife is between jobs so can do the driving for a month.
    After that, we're not sure. I was thinking of lending/giving the family the money for a car.
    I know nothing about cars and am a non driver. Can you buy a reliable car for £1500 max? Just comparing it to a bike where I would never recommend a £100 bike.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tony

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  2. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Ford Focus of the appropriate age

3. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

glenda likes this.
  4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Just a thought, try contacting a local 2nd hand car dealer and see if they could help. People are mostly very positive about the plight of Ukrainians so an association with such would be a bonus for any business involved.

glenda, AnilS, Nic Robinson and 3 others like this.
  5. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Excellent idea
    They could go for the publicity and cheap or even free

6. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

I use a 1998 Ford Focus to commute to work. 40 mile round trip. Cost me £600 four years ago and never fails. Only have wear and tear repairs on the yearly service. It's a Ghia so the CD player is decent enough as well. Appreciate a lot of people would not want to be seen driving a 25 year old car (my son is one!) but it certainly doesn't bother me.

glenda, Durmbo, matt j and 3 others like this.
  7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

my Dads Ford Focus has been bullet proof. His early one rusted away.

8. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Me too, I ate one sour too.

This - they may have a P/X knocking around you could borrow.

Failing that, as a connoisseur of low budget motoring, a manual Ford Focus or Peugeot 307/308 5 door or estate spring to mind.

9. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

You should be able to find a Honda Accord at around that price. Honda reliability and ample room, especially if you can source an estate.

glenda likes this.
  10. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

"They all do that, Sir, it's a feature". Mechanically they are bulletproof as you say, they do tend to rust. Mazda 3 and Volvo S40/V50/C30 are based on the same platform as the Late-2000s model Focus

11. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

Good shout Nic, lot of bargains on there.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Ford badge, 10+ years old, ideally below 100k miles. Petrol engine if you can find one. Yes, fuel use will be more but they won't be doing mega miles. Ensure 6+ months MoT. £1500, take your pick, even in the current world of elevated prices.
    I run older cars, my current car is a 2009 diesel Audi A5 with 188k miles on board. I had great service from a Ford Mondeo 1.8 petrol, 2003. Bought it in 2014 with 95k miles, covered 60k incident free miles in 4 years at a cost of about £300 a year in servicing and MoT repairs (the usual run of brakes, suspension bushes, bearings etc). 38mog average over that time and tyres at £50 a corner. It was nice to drive too, against the odds. I'd have a Mondeo, Focus, Fiesta as a daily hack tomorrow, without hesitation.

Andy Stephenson and hifinutt like this.
  13. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

Something Japanese or unloved brand with a long MOT locally.

stevec67 likes this.
  14. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Panda

glenda likes this.
  15. AnilS

AnilS pfm Member

16. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

I would get an insurance quote and see how driver licencing works before worrying too much about vehicle specifics. That sorted, a 10-15 year old Ford Focus/Fiesta seems sensible.

glenda and hifinutt like this.
  17. stuwils

stuwils pfm Member

before you buy a car check its MOT and mileage using the gov uk site or dvla mot and tax checker app for smartphones, gives a detailed history of mot's and any advisories issued.
    https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status
    Rgds
    Stuart

glenda and AnilS like this.
  18. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I would be thinking that insurance is as big a financial issue as buying the car. Is a Ukrainian driving licence / record acceptable to a UK insurance co.?

glenda and hifinutt like this.
  19. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Definitely check insurance first and don't forget vehicle licence duty as well, differences there can be huge.

I'd say for a car at this level the make and model of the car is rather less important than the condition and history. I'd be looking for a 10+ year old small engined petrol car owned by an older person that doesn't drive a lot and has it serviced every year.

glenda likes this.
  20. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Yes insurance could be twice the cost of tha car . Good luck with that