advertisement

Advice please? Speaker refurb

effinity

pfm Member
There is a single spike at bottom, centre, front of each speaker which allows a small tilt adjustment for tweeter/driver angle, I’m guessing.

On one speaker it’s fine, fits flush, spike screws in straight.

Two photos show the second, damaged countersunk holder which causes the spike to lie at about 35deg angle.

Final photo is the ok one.

The extraction tool (lever type) I have available is not wide enough to get a grip on the 8mm spike (when screwed in to damaged hole) to lever out.

Q1.What extraction tool is available/name for this? Or the best way to remove?

Q2. Once I’ve got it (name?) out what filler should I use In the hole?

Q3. Exact name of countersunk receptacle I need to fix in and insert the spike so it operates properly?

Ideas and suggestions welcome

EBFB3C3C-7BC3-4676-AF47-9232B41B0C3B.jpg

53-E99-F80-90-E7-4679-8602-A45879-C66777.jpg

Now the ok one......
0970-F0-A0-067-F-495-C-8439-42904-F8978-F6.jpg

It looks like a threaded insert you should be able to unscrew it with the right size Allen key.

Car body filler will fill the hole push the insert in while it's soft but cover the hole in the end first.

Pete

It looks like a threaded insert you should be able to unscrew it with the right size Allen key.

Car body filler will fill the hole push the insert in while it's soft but cover the hole in the end first.

Pete
Very much appreciated Pete, had to go out and buy a 10mm Allen as 8mm was my largest.

Did the trick and the threaded insert was intact so reusable once I’ve cleaned and filled the hole so am now optimistic I’ll end up with a straight spike.

No problem, I hope there isn’t too much damage to the cabinet, it did look well pushed in.

Pete

No problem, I hope there isn’t too much damage to the cabinet, it did look well pushed in.

Pete
Yes indeed, if one is going to ship speakers at least do a bit of risk assessment! By some miracle none of the 6 drivers suffered at all and they play beautifully. It’s a learning curve which I’m quite enjoying, all coming together now. I don’t have to, but having got quite good results with sanding down and colour matching I've decided to re veneer the tops and apply some good matching stain and finish with Danish oil.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back