advertisement

Advice please - Primare NP5, Digione Sig or..?

The Innuos Zen Mini seems to be ticking a lot of boxes. Is there much practical difference between the Mk2 and Mk3? I can see the Mk3 has a SP/Dif out, but it seems most favour the USB-out anyway. There are pre-loved MK2 and Mk3s available for sale with their bespoke LPSUs, but there is a few £hundred between the cost of the two models.

I wouldnt know, I've never heard a Mk2. I personally wouldnt go backwards for the sake of a few hundred quid, you want something that will last as long as it can, and the digital world moves at a fast rate.

The LPS's are a must to get the best out of them.

No matter what DAC you use, you will hear distinct quality differences with different streamers. I've finally settled on an Auralic Aries G2, and I have had about 15 transports from Nodes to Naim's and the G2 was incredible in comparison.

The whole bits are bits argument is outdated and old fashioned. There are some good threads on Hifi Wigwam about this stuff. The easiest way to check this, is run a Chrome Cast Audio and an Aries G2 through the same DAC...if you cant hear the monumental difference then you probably just need a 90's Midi system and be done with it.:)

How would it compare to a Pi-based streamer or a Node 2i?

I had Node 2i before N15D for a 2 months. Let say it's a different league, nevermind that they are very similar priced. Sonically I found noticeable improvement with Cocktail Audio. Much better balance, more space between instruments, very powerful 3D effect, timbrally more correct. Node 2i has much intuitive app for mobile phones than N15D. But it's a minor advantage in my case. After few comparative tests during days I had both of them, I am looking on Node 2i as very good lifestyile gear, nothing more.

I had Node 2i before N15D for a 2 months. Let say it's a different league, nevermind that they are very similar priced. Sonically I found noticeable improvement with Cocktail Audio. Much better balance, more space between instruments, very powerful 3D effect, timbrally more correct. Node 2i has much intuitive app for mobile phones than N15D. But it's a minor advantage in my case. After few comparative tests during days I had both of them, I am looking on Node 2i as very good lifestyile gear, nothing more.
Interesting. What DAC was this into?

I certainly like the Innuos stuff, and would also think maybe the Lindemann bridge or network might be another one to throw into the mix?

As you say, there’s not much out there on this. Sounds interesting, but a fair bit more expensive than the other options (which is fine if it’s worth it!). Is it worth the premium against the other suggested options?

Hi Luceo,

I bought it having listened to MANY other options including: Sonore; dCS; SoTM; NUCs; and, Raspberry Pi.

I spent a couple of years on this journey including PSUs, cabling and many other options.

Yes, I think it is excellent VFM .....although 'limited' to 9624.

This is what I assume too, but lots of people swear that the upgrade to Digione Sig/Shanti brings lots to the party, so got me curious what else is out there.

I'm relatively late to the streaming/digital party, so probably retreading old ground. There seem to be the bits-is-bits camp who think any streamer will do, and for those who do think the streamer makes a difference there doesn't seem to be any consensus about what model(s) is best.

For modern asynchronous USB systems jitter is not really an issue, but coupling of EMI noise from computer systems into a DAC can be an issue. Usually it is well-sorted, sometimes it is not.

For SPDIF, high jitter can be a varyingly significant issue, depending on when your DAC is using ASRC/true reclocking, or is using something more basic like a PLL. Vintage DACs without “jitter rejection schemes” can “come alive” with a modern ultra-low jitter source, like an Allo DigiOne.

For modern asynchronous USB systems jitter is not really an issue, but coupling of EMI noise from computer systems into a DAC can be an issue. Usually it is well-sorted, sometimes it is not.

For SPDIF, high jitter can be a varyingly significant issue, depending on when your DAC is using ASRC/true reclocking, or is using something more basic like a PLL. Vintage DACs without “jitter rejection schemes” can “come alive” with a modern ultra-low jitter source, like an Allo DigiOne.

interesting. I find a problem telling the difference between an ‘ancient’ DACMagic100 and a Chord Mojo with the Digione as source and very decent head-amp and phones at the other end. It’s not that they are the same it’s just I’m happy with either. The DACmagic is more convenient so gets a lot more shelf time…

Interesting. What DAC was this into?

They implemented Sabre ES9018K2M Reference dac chip into "Pinacolada". Honestly decent sounding streamer in this price range. Also good as transport via spdif. In my case paired with Hegel HD11 as external dac.

Im not sure anything of any calibre comes in a box that small, maybe a DCS Network Bridge but then again the price of those is massive.

Maybe an Innuos Zen Mini? They are pretty small and considerably better than the Node and Primare.

Auralic Aries Femto's often come up for sale pre-owned, they are pretty small.

Use an LPS with the above, and you get a pretty decent entry level streamer.

Have you directly compared the Innuous Zen Mini against the Primare NP5? the latter being on my short list, and to the OP, Elite Audio stock both Innuous and SOtM, might be worth giving them a call before finally deciding.

Have you directly compared the Innuous Zen Mini against the Primare NP5? the latter being on my short list, and to the OP, Elite Audio stock both Innuous and SOtM, might be worth giving them a call before finally deciding.

Not to the Zen Mini, I compared the Np5 to Merdian 210, Bluesound Node, rPi, Naim ND5XS2 (transport only mode), Zen Mk3, USB out of my LPS powered NAS, Innous Zenith Mk3 and Auralic G2.

The sound only got 'good' at the Naim and Zen level, so for me, having linear power supplies is vitally important. The Zen Mini can have an LPS , so would imagine it would be close to the Zen with it, which was really good.

Id wait for the new NP5 which is due out in August if purchasing one of those, and add a good LPS or at least an IFI Quiet Power.

Elite will sort you out, I bought my Aqua La Voce from them, and also the Zenith, but I returned the Zenith as the G2 worked better in my system. Elite really rate the SOTM stuff, I just didn't like the look of them. They are a good company to deal with for sure.

Not to the Zen Mini, I compared the Np5 to Merdian 210, Bluesound Node, rPi, Naim ND5XS2 (transport only mode), Zen Mk3, USB out of my LPS powered NAS, Innous Zenith Mk3 and Auralic G2.

The sound only got 'good' at the Naim and Zen level, so for me, having linear power supplies is vitally important. The Zen Mini can have an LPS , so would imagine it would be close to the Zen with it, which was really good.

Id wait for the new NP5 which is due out in August if purchasing one of those, and add a good LPS or at least an IFI Quiet Power.

Elite will sort you out, I bought my Aqua La Voce from them, and also the Zenith, but I returned the Zenith as the G2 worked better in my system. Elite really rate the SOTM stuff, I just didn't like the look of them. They are a good company to deal with for sure.
Isn't the new np5 a result of having no more or a certain chip, so a redesign was needed.

I rate Elite as well, having bought my Boenickes from there. I was in touch with them yesterday about a Zen Mini 2 they had, but I’ve gone for a Mk3 as suggested. Apparently there is a new Roon-like OS for the Innuos products as well, which is a bonus.

I rate Elite as well, having bought my Boenickes from there. I was in touch with them yesterday about a Zen Mini 2 they had, but I’ve gone for a Mk3 as suggested. Apparently there is a new Roon-like OS for the Innuos products as well, which is a bonus.

Yes, InnuOS 2.0 is very good, and if you havent bought into Roon and need its multi-system abilities, the InnuOS 2.0 is the best there app there is for this.

Theres a Mk3 Zen Mini with LPS on HifiWigWam for a £1k and he is open to offers.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately trying to do it on the cheap for a 3rd system, but still trying to make the sound 'good' ;):D

Isn't the new np5 a result of having no more or a certain chip, so a redesign was needed.

Yes that's correct - the lack of a certain chip forced them to build another np5 - sound quality it's identical I've been told. The main difference is full MQA whereas the original did the first unfold (if you are that concerned about MQA).

Just to close this off, I now have an Innuos Zen Mini (+LPSU) up and running and sounding great. There is a very noticeable gain in sound quality - Radio paradise in particular sounds WAY better than it did before. As well as sound performance improvement, the new OS is a pleasure to use and much better than my previous Volumio.

Thanks to all for your suggestions, and to @flutteringwow for the initial suggestion of the Innuos.

advertisement

Back