advertisement

Advice please - Primare NP5, Digione Sig or..?

Luceo non uro

pfm Member
Hi all,

I’m looking to upgrade my existing Allo Digione - no particular reason, just got the itch!

It’s a great little device, so the obvious upgrade is a Digione Signature with Shanti. But I’ve also seen a Primare NP5 for less money. There’s also the Bluesound Node 2i - anything else?

My only requirement is that it has to be small enough to hide behind my existing kit - no more space! I’ll be feeding it into an RME ADI-2, so a built-in DAC won’t be required/used.

Any first-hand advice or kit for sale welcome!

thanks

Thank you both, currently doing a bit of reading on the ifi Stream - sounds good, but can't find a definitive answer as to whether it's a step up from the Digione. Will do some lunchtime reading on the Meridian!

Can highly recommend Node (2i) just for overall ease of use if nothing else, especially software. That's a big deal for me as I'd go mad with a glitchy or illogical interface. All ripped CDs on external hard drive plugged in the back too, if that's relavant.

Edit - notable SQ improvement too over CCA, into same DAC.

Very satisfied with Nova Fidelity N15D Still actual model. Sounds grate as standalone streamer/dac, compatible with all main streaming services. I really don't care about very poor designed app for Android/IOS, better to say I 'm used to ;)

Doesn't seem to get much exposure but I thoroughly recommend the Meridian 210.

As you say, there’s not much out there on this. Sounds interesting, but a fair bit more expensive than the other options (which is fine if it’s worth it!). Is it worth the premium against the other suggested options?

Very satisfied with Nova Fidelity N15D Still actual model. Sounds grate as standalone streamer/dac, compatible with all main streaming services. I really don't care about very poor designed app for Android/IOS, better to say I 'm used to ;)

This looks interesting too. How would it compare to a Pi-based streamer or a Node 2i? I don’t think I would use the onboard DAC though.

Happy to consider a bigger budget for a noticeable improvement. What would you suggest? Only real limitation is form factor - has to be small enough to fit behind the RME on a shelf.

Im not sure anything of any calibre comes in a box that small, maybe a DCS Network Bridge but then again the price of those is massive.

Maybe an Innuos Zen Mini? They are pretty small and considerably better than the Node and Primare.

Auralic Aries Femto's often come up for sale pre-owned, they are pretty small.

Use an LPS with the above, and you get a pretty decent entry level streamer.

Happy to consider a bigger budget for a noticeable improvement. What would you suggest? Only real limitation is form factor - has to be small enough to fit behind the RME on a shelf.
No matter what you get if it's going to be a transport into your RME dac it could be fine margins.

Maybe drop RME a line?

Not much is going to disappear behind the RME except the Allo sig or similar. I have this particular combo but run the sig off battery power. I think you need a complete rethink and new budget to get significant change.

Maybe an Innuos Zen Mini? They are pretty small and considerably better than the Node and Primare.

The Innuos Zen Mini seems to be ticking a lot of boxes. Is there much practical difference between the Mk2 and Mk3? I can see the Mk3 has a SP/Dif out, but it seems most favour the USB-out anyway. There are pre-loved MK2 and Mk3s available for sale with their bespoke LPSUs, but there is a few £hundred between the cost of the two models.

No matter what you get if it's going to be a transport into your RME dac it could be fine margins.

This is what I assume too, but lots of people swear that the upgrade to Digione Sig/Shanti brings lots to the party, so got me curious what else is out there.

I'm relatively late to the streaming/digital party, so probably retreading old ground. There seem to be the bits-is-bits camp who think any streamer will do, and for those who do think the streamer makes a difference there doesn't seem to be any consensus about what model(s) is best.

advertisement

Back