advertisement

Advice Please Possible Paypal Fraud

I didn't think it was a big deal to have stuff sent to an alternative name and address?

My boss has a trade account with RS, he gave me the password and I ordered some stuff and just put my name and address at the checkout and it came to me, all be it with his name also on the shipping label, however I went to my sorting office and picked it up with ID in my name not his.

Hi Mark, yes the firmware has been updated twice I think currently running

Current Firmware Version: 3.9.0_BT

Where do I go to check the DNS settings?

Thanks

Tony

Have a look on dashboard and then probably WAN2, and the second tab has a DNS box primary and secondary server option, see what is in yours if any, mine are the OPENDNS servers, yours will be whatever you set. Maybe post a screen shot.

In that case I'd be asking questions of JL, that is somewhat alarming to read.

Just asked my daughter again there and she said the name change was done on the Paypal account not the JL account otherwise the Sonos would have been delivered here however when she checked her PayPal account there wasn't a name change and her name is still on the account so the fraudster has obviously made the change on the PayPal account and provided John Lewis with different delivery details including a name but probably not the same name on the Paypal transaction email on the first page of this thread.

Have a look on dashboard and then probably WAN2, and the second tab has a DNS box primary and secondary server option, see what is in yours if any, mine are the OPENDNS servers, yours will be whatever you set. Maybe post a screen shot.

sVRZfe2.png

Your daughter's likely mistaken re PayPal name change. It's all holes in jl.

PayPal sent her an email today saying that there’s no valid direct debit set up on her account so she may not be able to make purchases with her PayPal account :D

One thing that you can do to protect yourself against a network that has been compromised is to use VPN software. With mobile phones using so many networks, many of which may be compromised, I would install and use a VPN. It encrypts the outgoing stream and sends it to a safe server somewhere that then decrypts the stream back to normal and sends it to its target location. This may not have helped in this case, but in general should make things more secure.

I may have missed the whys and wherefores, so apologies if I have, but the most likely cause of most account issues are data breaches. There have been numerous large scale data hacks that have put username and password combinations into the hands of troublesome people. Check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your daughters email address has known to be compromised in a data breach. If it has, and she used the released password on either of the JL or paypal account, or worse both ...

As mentioned up thread paypal offers extra security you need to turn on where by not only a username and password is required to make payments but a one time code texted to your mobile you link to the account.

Use strong unique passwords for every account, at least 12 characters, varied case, numbers and special characters.

I hope I'm wrong and it was a sophisticated attack, however many of us don't use different passwords for every account and I know I have had at least one data breach releasing a username and password combination I used. Thank you LinkedIn you useless bastards.

Good luck it getting it all sorted out, you have my sympathy.

Well looks like someone has access to my daughter’s PayPal account and is trying to obtain funds from her bank account but fortunately her bank won’t allow PayPal transactions at the moment.

She received this email from PayPal today, she’s currently working a long shift and wouldn’t have tried to do this anyway.

Dear Elizabeth *********** ,

You recently attempted to transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account.

Your bank declined the funds transfer on 15 Jul 2019.

We have cancelled this transaction, because the transfer from your bank account failed.

Transaction Details
Transaction Type: Electronic Funds Transfer into your PayPal Account

If she hasn't done so already, immediately change the PayPal password to a very strong unique password and turn on two factor authentication.

Thanks yes she’s changed the password but I don’t think that she has the two stage authentication switched on.

She really needs to close the account but I don’t think that PayPal will allow that until this fraud thing has been cleared up.

She’s tried to call them numerous times but she either can’t get through or they’re closed when she finishes her shift.

I told her that it’s their problem and sooner or later they’ll make contact worth her.

Turning into a nightmare this.

Here’s the entire email that she has received from PayPal, I’m not entirely sure if it’s PayPal who are attempting to take funds to cover the Sonos purchase or it’s someone trying to obtain funds from my daughter’s bank account.

Date: 15 July 2019 at 09:40:27 BST
To: Elizabeth
Subject: PayPal: Your bank declined your electronic funds transfer

Dear Elizabeth ,

You recently attempted to transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account.

Your bank declined the funds transfer on 15 Jul 2019.

We have cancelled this transaction, because the transfer from your bank account failed.

Transaction Details
Transaction Type: Electronic Funds Transfer into your PayPal Account

Transaction ID: 27417963A4102823G

Transaction Date: 2 Jul 2019

Transaction time: 10:52:54 BST

Transaction Amount: £355.95 GBP

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

Copyright © 1999-2019 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions Registered Office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal PPX000189:N/A:ebc4b2ede7bd3

Log in from a new computer, off your network, and redo PayPal passwords and add two factor authentication. if she hasn't done two-factor since it was mentioned over a week ago, shes beyond help. I hope you're wrong about that.

I love the wording, you tried to transfer funds.... did she heckers like, they tried to draw funds...

Thanks, she’s not stupid btw she’s a doctor on shift work and this issue is stressing her out plus some guy ran into the back of her car last week so that’s another issue she’s trying to deal with out of normal working hours.

I guess stating the obvious, if she does update her account, they will try to take that payment again.

Very annoying and frustrating, I hope she gets it sorted without loss

Another update guys.

PayPal have been on the phone this morning and basically called my daughter a liar they’re maintaining their stance that she authorised the order so are basically demanding the money that they paid to John Lewis for the Sonos.

I’ve told her to not react to their intimidatory tactics and let them take her to court which won’t happen anyway so the next step will likely be debt collectors contacting her.

That makes it appear that JL have shipped the product and taken the money from PP.

I assume between the two companies they have no idea where the product has actually been shipped to if at all

There is something that I think is missing.

A crime has been committed. Report it to the police.

I would stop making or accepting phone calls and emails.

I would send both paypal and john lewis a registered letter informing them that it is now a police matter.

advertisement

Back