advertisement

Advice Please - Linn Karik Transport Noise

Pete The Cat

pfm Member
Clearly there are many worse things in the world than this, but I thought I'd ask some chums.

My (late version) Karik has always had a silent drawer and transport. Just recently, after the drawer has been closed with a CD inserted, there's been a scuffing / light scraping sound for a couple of seconds. This is before a track is selected. Similarly on pressing eject, the same sound then the drawer opens. It plays fine as ever.

Portable CD players make as much noise so in many respects this is irrelevant, and the rest of the action is silent. It's just that having been so quiet previously I'm wondering if it's a sign of age and if I should be doing something to intervene and prevent a real problem. Service ? Some, erm, lubricating ? Advice gratefully received.

Pete

As the same noise occurs on spin-up and spin-down, I'd suspect disc slippage.

Suggest cleaning the drive hub and clamp surfaces.

Craig

Many thanks for the suggestions. The problem goes away for a while if I open / close the drawer a couple of times. I'll begin with a cleaning session and take it from there...

Cheers.

Pete

I am guessing, but when the drawer closes on some transports a lever allows a spring actuated clamp to hold the disc onto the hub. If the top is off and it's that type of mechanism you will easily see what is going on. It's possible that the spring is slightly weak or there is some sticktion in the clamp bearings which may be just plastic. I woul;d guess cleaning the bearing might help and lubrication with some appropriate stuff.

My quad 66 used to suffer this problem.

I am unable to suggest a suitable lubricant so you will have to research that. The stuff needs to be light and minimal cos you don't want to damage the plastic or have residues that will pick up more dirt and make the situation worse. Also this may be bad long term advice!!

Cleaning the parts with fluff free cloth can't do any harm.

advertisement

Back