advertisement

Advice on wall-mounting a plasma TV

Toto, my apologies if you’ve already looked at and dismissed this type but I have panel TVs mounted on this type using 8mm bolts and rawlplugs tightening with socket set. Never had a problem and didn’t find it necessary to pay someone to come in and do it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08D3GLT4J/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Is there a distance to the wall? Yes but not enough to worry about

The only exception is the 55” OLED which has a smaller VESA fitting (20cm) and there I coughed up for the matching LG wall mount which swivels as well as tilts and cost a lot more.

Will finally hide cables away in the coming weeks as part of other work.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Toto, my apologies if you’ve already looked at and dismissed this type but I have panel TVs mounted on this type using 8mm bolts and rawlplugs tightening with socket set. Never had a problem and didn’t find it necessary to pay someone to come in and do it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08D3GLT4J/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Is there a distance to the wall? Yes but not enough to worry about

The only exception is the 55” OLED which has a smaller VESA fitting (20cm) and there I coughed up for the matching LG wall mount which swivels as well as tilts and cost a lot more.

Will finally hide cables away in the coming weeks as part of other work.
I appreciate the suggestion but I don't really have a need for a swivel bracket and I suspect that this kind of bracket puts more load onto the wall than either a flat-mounted tilt or fixed bracket.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My bad, mine don’t have swivels either (except for the OLED) and so my old link had expired. Same basic shape and look ignoring the swivel and one sits behind the tv in the photo and you can probable see this type tilts which I find useful.

I used a Vogels bracket to mount a 50” Pioneer plasma to the wall in my last house. Can’t remember exactly which model but it was one of the cheaper ones (like £50). The bracket is very well designed and installation was super easy. In our current flat I paid a professional to mount a 77” OLED on the wall with cables hidden in the wall. I think the cost was about £400.

https://www.vogels.com/en-gb/c/tv-brackets

I appreciate the suggestion but I don't really have a need for a swivel bracket and I suspect that this kind of bracket puts more load onto the wall than either a flat-mounted tilt or fixed bracket.
I don't think that you need worry about the wall loading, it's already holding up the roof and floor above so a TV isn't a big deal.

If you haven't done so already, consider taking some of the wall away to see what's there. If it's been a fireplace at some stage, previous owners may have covered it up with plasterboard, or breeze block, or whatever. You need to take some of it away to find out.

You could also consider spreading the load - let's say the TV is 50 x 30. Make a mounting board of thick plywood, say 40 x 20, and use umpteen fixings to fix that to the wall. Then use hefty wood screws to attach the TV mount to the plywood.

If you haven't done so already, consider taking some of the wall away to see what's there. If it's been a fireplace at some stage, previous owners may have covered it up with plasterboard, or breeze block, or whatever. You need to take some of it away to find out.

You could also consider spreading the load - let's say the TV is 50 x 30. Make a mounting board of thick plywood, say 40 x 20, and use umpteen fixings to fix that to the wall. Then use hefty wood screws to attach the TV mount to the plywood.
This kind of thing is a good trick and very effective. If you really want to go for it you can buy T nuts to screw into, and 2 or 3 T nuts can hold up a car.

When putting up the telly consider if you have room to put a larger screen on the same bracket. When you eventually come to replace it is likely you might want to consider a larger one, say a 55.

We had a joiner in fitting a new window today so I took the opportunity to ask his advice on the wall. He reckons it's lathe and plaster with studs and brickwork in behind but he'll cut an exploratory hole when he comes back to fit the mount in a fortnight. If the wall construction is as expected then he says he''ll use long screws which will go through not only the studs but also into the brickwork behind for a more secure mounting. Total cost will be in the region of £50, - cheap at twice the price if it means my dad can sleep easy at night! :D

All I need to do is order the mount and also a set of screws to attach the bars to the back of the tv. The tv owners manual calls for an M8 screw with minimum length of 10mm and maximum length of 16mm. I poked a narrow plastic straw through one of the screw holes on the back of the tv to measure the total depth and it's 18mm so a 16mm long screw should be fine. I am however curious why they'd state an acceptable range of 10mm-16mm instead of just simply stating 16mm because surely longer = safer, provided it doesn't exceed the maximum length of the insert?

Regarding mounts, I've decided on this one as it not only looks robust but also provide lots of scope for aligning the screw holes with the studs.

Given how long this thread has been running, when it was resurrected today I was expecting to find something like this...

umfh3wa2f28z.jpg

advertisement

Back