advertisement

Advice on wall-mounting a plasma TV

When I was fitting some wall hung vanity units to a tiled plasterboard wall, I found this useful:

Units were about 45kg each with basin (or bison for our West Midlands viewers ;)) as I recall, and went for (M4) butterfly toggles, as they were pretty strong and did not need a tightly toleranced hole to work properly (it was an ordeal drilling through the tiles though). A couple of years later, all still good.

According to the specs it draws 400 watts, at current pricing of circa 29p a KwH that's around 15p an hour, 60p a day at 4 hours, 18 quid a month, nearly 220 quid a year.

The specs may say 400W but the actual consumption is much lower. When I measured with my Maplins plug-top power meter it draws around 170W on my typical settings, which is pretty close to the 180W that AVForums measured in their review, and also consistent with the 185W stated on the Energy Efficiency label. Admittedly it's still almost double that of the average OLED display but given I'm only using it for 3 or 4 hrs a day I don't think the extra expense is worth worrying about, especially considering the much higher running cost of other household items such as tumble dryers etc. I minimise my electricity consumption elsewhere so can sleep at night with a relatively clear conscience. :)

TBH I'm somewhat surprised by the advice to send a perfectly functioning electrical component to landfill, which is at clear odds with our good host's thoughts on Sustainability. Next folk will be telling me to toss out my Class AB amp in favour of Class D! :p

Besides, I'm sure the wall mount I use for my plasma will be backwards-compatible with the latest and greatest OLED when the time finally comes to upgrade...
Also do you have a reason that prevents you doing it yourself? My dad would have stuck it in the bin if I placed such demands :)
If I didn't have cerebral palsy the telly would have been on the wall years ago!

If I didn't have cerebral palsy the telly would have been on the wall years ago!

Now that is fair enough, get yer dad on it!

I am working through the various electrics I have as we are 400+ a month now, ouch. My server is the worse, delivering a tasty 44 quid cost per month! That's now decommissioned.

I think my TV is circa 300 watts, have chosen not to look at the hifi.

Reference hanging the TV, I have a fair share of wall mounting options and like everything else, spend a few quid. You certainly will want the one that is in two parts that allows you to simply hook the TV on the mounted bracket. believe it or not they are not all like that.

Now that is fair enough, get yer dad on it!

I am working through the various electrics I have as we are 400+ a month now, ouch. My server is the worse, delivering a tasty 44 quid cost per month! That's now decommissioned.

I think my TV is circa 300 watts, have chosen not to look at the hifi.

Reference hanging the TV, I have a fair share of wall mounting options and like everything else, spend a few quid. You certainly will want the one that is in two parts that allows you to simply hook the TV on the mounted bracket. believe it or not they are not all like that.
Our leccy consumption is around 6,900 kWh annually (used to be 7,800 kWh but we've become more energy efficient over the years). Gas central heating is still a killer though, - in summer months our consumption is a 'negligible' 500kWh/month on hot water and cooking but in winter it rockets to 10,000kWh/month to keep the house at a mildly chilled 17C! :eek:

Can't be arsed to read the whole thing. But it's super easy to mount a telly on the wall, come off it.

My Sony 65 inch 4k is pretty heavy. The mount cost about ten quid and I've got a tiny bit of trunking going from below the telly to cabinet below.

With a drill and ten mins of time you could have it on the wall, easy peasy.

Get on with it. Get it up there. Move on.

Good luck!

Can't be arsed to read the whole thing. But it's super easy to mount a telly on the wall, come off it.

My Sony 65 inch 4k is pretty heavy. The mount cost about ten quid and I've got a tiny bit of trunking going from below the telly to cabinet below.

Good luck!
Suggest you be arsed and read what was written, there’s a reason ToTo isn’t able to “Get it up there. Move on”.

Good luck!

Read the thread man, and you'll see why your post is inappropriate

If it’s batten and plasterboard over brick, just get some really big screws and plugs. If it’s studwork, get a stand.

Have now read it. Assuming plasterboard, you can easily mount in excess of this weight with plasterboard plugs, just use beefy ones and lots of them, far more than the TV mount suggests. So 6 or 8, rather than the 4 which would be typical. You may have a plasterboard screen over a solid wall, we found this on one wall in our 100+ year old solid wall house. A builders trick to save having to take wall right back before replastering.

Either which way even if plasterboard this will easily take 23kg (my old flat was completely plasterboard everywhere and we regularly our up shelves with real heavy weights / plus old skool very heavy TVs, on custom shelves far in excess of 23kg).

If in doubt get a professional. Otherwise crack on. As above, use small still bits to start and go steady. But 23kg is not much weight for a wall to take if mounted properly.

Get a new OLED, and get a pro to fit the mount[/QUOTE]
your plasma will probably only last a few more years then you'll have to go through the shenanigans again.

Our spare room has our old Pioneer plasma that is 20 years old and still working fine with a great picture as is our 8 year old Panasonic plasma in the theater room (sounds posh but its really a dark painted spare bedroom!), the old Pioneer and Panasonic plasma's are power hogs but seem to last!

If you have studs / plasterboard just find the studs with a studfinder and use big wood fasteners, most wall mounts have enough holes / slots to allow you to mount to studs.

If you have studs / plasterboard just find the studs with a studfinder and use big wood fasteners, most wall mounts have enough holes / slots to allow you to mount to studs.
I agree _ Ok I have a smaller 42 inch screen mounted on a bracket that hinges forwards and tilts if needs be. Found the studs and used lag bolts - six in my case.

I’ve not read all of this but if it is still a debating point, do not drill into mortar to hold anything up, the drilling will be easier but the screws/plugs invariably fall out sooner or later (unless, I suppose, you have plugs that fill the whole gap between brick courses and big fat screws). Drilling into brick will give you a real solid fix if you do it properly.
It’s surprising how much weight a solid wall and a few screws can take

If you have a gap between the wall and plaster board a spacer in a must otherwise you are likely to pull the rawlplug out when you tighten the screw.

Pete

Why do you have to wall mount it?
Richers and others do a range of pedestal stands so you can ground support it and not make holes in the wall.

Nothing wrong with older Panasonic Plasmas, I have an old 42" GT60 as well as a newer Panasonic 55" OLED.

Get it on the wall, no issues.

Don't cheap out on the mount or fixings. For mounts, I really like Unicol, I have one of these and its bombproof!

https://unicol.com/products/wall-mounts/universal-wall-mounts

Also, a decent set of RawlBolts, you can get some quite long ones which should bridge any gap in the plasterboard. Added bonus is they are usually re-useable if you move house (or location of the TV).

https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/shield-anchor-bolts/cat840436

That is unless there is a large void behind with the actual fireplace? Then I've no experience of just fixing to plasterboard.

The position of my hifi and tv have now been finalised so I'm ready to go ahead and wall-mount the TV.

The centre of the screen will be 1.6m above the floor and the seating distance will either be 1.7m or 2.4m, depending on what speakers I'm using. I watch tv in a reclining chair so neck strain won't be an issue (from 2012-2021 my tvs were sat on top of a 1.1m high hifi rack at a viewing distance of 2m and my neck survived). However, I suspect a tilting bracket would be a good idea to guarantee the optimum viewing angle and minimise reflections.

I've narrowed it down to the following two Vogels mounts. The first one doesn't tilt, the second tilts up to 20-degrees:
Comfort Fixed 3605 40-100inch 75kg max
Comfort Tilt 3615 40-77inch 35kg max

The tilting version is rated for much less weight than the fixed, 35kg vs 75kg, but both should comfortably take my 24kg screen.

I emailed Vogels to ask why the tilting version is rated for less than half the weight of the fixed version and their UK distributor replied that it "compensates for the tilt mechanism".

Does this mean that a tilted screen places twice as much load on the wall? If so, then presumably the additional load can be reduced by reducing the tilt, e.g. tilting the screen by 5-degrees instead of the maximum 20-degrees?

Yes I would be very wary of the way that tilts, it looks like it going to put a lot of pressure on the wall and infact on the tv as its tilting right at the bottom, a most unusual way to do it. See if you can find one that is tilting through the middle?

advertisement

Back