advertisement

Advice on turntable mats for Planar 3, please

PhilipL

pfm Member
I would appreciate advice on turntable mats for my Planar 3. I already have a Gus metal subplatter and motor pulley. Also Isoweight with 2M Blue.

Like most of us I'm trying to get the most sound out of what I've got, so just wondering if different mats would bring a worthwhile improvement?

A friend use the Funk Achroplat in replacement of the glass and feltmat

Also used Funk Achromat 3mm in replacement to feltmat

My 25 year old one has always used the glass platter and the thick(er than planar 2) black felt mat.

What makes you think Rega are too stupid to get it right?

I have tried a few after market mats aswell as leaving the deck stock. For my taste a Thorens cork rubber matt ontop of the felt one supplied by rega sounded best. More bass and mids i felt it was a greater upgrade than the white belt and ruby bearing.

Well, they have made modifications/improvements over time and on more expensive models.

My 25 year old one has always used the glass platter and the thick(er than planar 2) black felt mat.

What makes you think Rega are too stupid to get it right?

I've tried a lot from paper to cork to rubber to plastic
The Rega wool beats all

Agreed.

As to the OPs question of what's better, different materials will give a different sound. If the supplied mat is found wanting you have to try some of the alternatives for yourself. They all change the sound of a Rega - 'better' is down to the individual.

Well, they have made modifications/improvements over time and on more expensive models.

True. However those changes are always born of the same philosophy. They never adopt an alternative philosophy with a different model or improved version.

I've recently changed to the cork/rubber mat from Analogue Seduction and, whilst still evaluating the difference, think there's been an improvement, although that could just be that it's a considerably different sound, more in tune with my tastes. What I won't miss, though is the ridiculous amount of static the original Rega Planar 3 mat used to generate. Using a cf brush on an LP meant that the next time you changed sides or removed it, the mat would lift off attached to the disc! Begone static!!

I have tried a few after market mats aswell as leaving the deck stock. For my taste a Thorens cork rubber matt ontop of the felt one supplied by rega sounded best.

Did you change the height of the arm to match the new height of the mat? If not, won't this change the VTA of the cartridge?

As others say, it's horses for courses, but the Achromat does it for me. It's a subtle change, just tightening up the sound a little, giving it a touch more clarity and bite.

We've had some great results with the Origin Live mat on a variety of decks...

It's quite thin, so checking VTA is sensible, but works really well on Regas if your cartridge isn't fussy.

PM me if you'd like to arrange a listen.

Simon

Try a few, then decide for yourself. I am afraid that I just don't buy the "Rega will have made a perfect product from the off, you will never improve on it" scenario. It's just not true. If you bought a Ford Fiesta, do we all imagine that you couldn't possibly improve on the carpets?

I've just replaced the original, 30 year old, wool mat on my planar3 for a brand new one from Rega. Can't say my ageing ears have noticed any difference, but it sure looks better!

I've just replaced the original, 30 year old, wool mat on my planar3 for a brand new one from Rega. Can't say my ageing ears have noticed any difference, but it sure looks better!

Replaced my older Rega mat because it slipped to easily on the platter and clung to the records and life's off with the record. I ordered a red one because I thought it looked cool and hoped that it would stay on the platter. It does stay on the platter and the sound is somewhat more solid and stable now. I have since purchased two more also in red for my other Rega and my LP12.

advertisement

Back