advertisement

Advice needed - moving Tannoy Monitor Gold to new house

Gerard124

pfm Member
We are about to move house, I'm going to move the 12" monitor golds in Chatsworth size cabinets myself along with the rest of my Hifi - the hifi is not going in the removal van!

How should I transport the golds? cabinets flat on back with drivers pointing upwards?

Depending on how far you've got to go, would it make more sense to just hire a van for the day and be able to stand them upright and avoid any possible problems? A transit can be hired for little money on a daily rate, and are covered by your existing licence, and are really easy to drive.

You’ll not harm Golds just by shipping orientation. Just be absolutely sure nothing can fall on them. In many ways face down on a blanket in the back of a van is probably the best way as they can’t fall over and nothing else can fall on the drivers.

Assuming you intend transporting them in the back of a car, lying on their backs is fine imo.

I remember when I collected my IMF RSPMs the seller had shorted the input terminals with a piece of bridging wire. Apparently the KEF B139 in a transmission line has a tendency to wobble and shorting the input terminals supposedly holds the cones more firmly in place and reduces cone movement when going over bumps etc. No idea if this works or not but thought it interesting nevertheless! Hard-edge Tannoy drivers have relatively stiff suspensions to start with so are likely more robust again vibration in transit than other loudspeakers.

Hard-edge Tannoy drivers have relatively stiff suspensions to start with so are likely more robust again vibration in transit than other loudspeakers.
A lot of the Golds I've seen fitted to rectangular Chatsworths have been the soft butyl rubber surround variants.
I've seen the cones wobble around a bit when I've transported Tannoys. The state of our roads can be pretty crap and I'd rather they wobble forward and back in the direction the cone is designed to move than in the other plane, which is why I prefer them on their backs.

Oh, just noticed it was 'Chatsworth sized cabinets', not 'Chatsworth cabinets', so perhaps they do have hard edges after all :-/

A lot of the Golds I've seen fitted to rectangular Chatsworths have been the soft butyl rubber surround variants.
I've seen the cones wobble around a bit when I've transported Tannoys. The state of our roads can be pretty crap and I'd rather they wobble forward and back in the direction the cone is designed to move than in the other plane, which is why I prefer them on their backs.

Oh, just noticed it was 'Chatsworth sized cabinets', not 'Chatsworth cabinets', so perhaps they do have hard edges after all :-/
Good point, the OP's 12" MGs may well be the rubber variant, I'm not sure why I assumed hard-edged!

In many ways face down on a blanket in the back of a van is probably the best way

British-comic-actor-Frank-008.jpg

advertisement

Back