advertisement

Advice for Elbow lover

murphydog

Canine member
Any recommendations for bands along the same lines? I particularly enjoy the first album, the prog elements are subordinate to melody and song structure which is how I prefer it.

I love Elbow. Apart from the obvious things (Peter Gabriel, David Sylvian, Blue Nile, Talk Talk etc) ,I'd recommend;

Mercury Rev (Especially the last 2 albums)

No-man (Especially 'Returning Jesus' and 'Together we're stranger')

Tim Bowness (My Hotel year)

Henry Fool (perhaps more overtly prog?)

(I have to admit a connection with the last couple of albums - I'm on them! But hey - I feel they're great albums I'd buy if I wasn't ;) )

Sigur Ros

Godspeed you black emperor (more overtly 'prog', I guess).

I feel that later XTC might float your boat?

You may also like Muse, Tool and The Mars Volta - though they don't do anything for me.

Regards

Stephen

Thank you Mr Bennett,there are certainly some names on your list which are new to me and I shall investigate. Although one of the attractions of Elbow is accessibility I find the more experimental side of things perhaps has more potential, otherwise there is danger of heading into Coldplay territory.

Mercury Rev? Eh? Don't see that one, sorry Stephen (and IMO the latest MR album is not a good thing).

I'm not a fan of Elbow, but things that are of that ilk (IMO) are:

Doves (a bit gloomier)
My Vitriol (a bit rockier)
South (a bit poppier)

Some more will come to me later, I'm sure.

Originally posted by alexgerrard
Mercury Rev? Eh? Don't see that one, sorry Stephen (and IMO the latest MR album is not a good thing).

I think the new Mercury Rev has a lot of song based proggy elements. The previous one, 'All is dream' is practically a concept album! I guess they remind me of early Caravan (more song based prog). Nothing exactly like Elbow, of course, but what is?

murphy; you just summed up why I can't get on with Coldplay/Travis/Keane etc. It's all 'nice' but.....

Regards

Stephen

Its certainly a tricky business playing the "if you like this, you'll also like this" game. after all, one of the things that struck me about Elbow was how much they didn't sound like anybody else.
nice to see Caravan getting a mention I've always enjoyad the Canterbury sound although it can get a bit jazzy at times

Stephen - I know what you mean about the proggy side, but I would never have thought that MR and Elbow are even remotely similar.

Murphydog - Gallon Drunk?

This'll prabably get me in trouble, but I've alwats found Elbow a bit Radioheadesque. I'm sure you've got Kid A which is the only thing by Radiohead I listen to regularly.

You could also look out the more restrained moments of Spiritualised: Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space shares some common ground with Cast of Thousands.

What about Mark Lanagan's Field Songs or even Screaming Trees Dust? Similar in spirit if not in sound. The Lanagan record is pretty fine.

Kevin

Interestingly, Kid A and a couple of Lanegans were the things I followed Elbow with. I don't know Field Songs, I'll check it out. Have you heard Bubblegum?

advertisement

Back