advertisement

Adventures with a Sony Walkman, 2019-style

Got one of these for review and very impressed!

https://www.itwriting.com/blog/11672-mad-but-great-sony-walkman-2019-nw-a105.html

I started off by thinking it was expensive but given the quality I'm beginning to think it is quite a bargain. On the other hand I haven't heard the much cheaper (but non-Android) A55.

Tim
I’m looking for a quality Dap. I just wanna replacement for my old (still working) I pod. Don’t need streaming or other apps. Just my library on a microcard. Should be easy enough? Nah. As Catweazle used to say...”nothing works!”

I’m looking for a quality Dap. I just wanna replacement for my old (still working) I pod. Don’t need streaming or other apps. Just my library on a microcard. Should be easy enough? Nah. As Catweazle used to say...”nothing works!”

What's the problem with something like the Sony?

Tim

Theres sdxc card mods for iPods. My classic v7 has 400gig plus of memory in it via a quad sdxc card adaptor. Leaves space for bigger batteries, I get 30 hours run time from mine, sounds great.

I’m probably gonna get an aw45 if it remains cheap but there have been some dodgy reviews. I’ve tried a Fiio m6 (terrible) and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious winner out there

I have a SonyNWZ 15 which is the forerunner of the above. It also had a few mixed reviews. But, it's great. Native FLAC, expandable storage, decent DAC, Bluetooth aptly. Simple interface, but that's great. It sounds better than any Apple iOS device I have. And I have a few.

Combined with a FiiO headphone amp and my se 846s of P7s, it delivers plenty of sonic thrills, its tiny, has great battery life, and cheap (£140ish)

Sony still do decent sounding portables. Try one.

Techmoan has reviewed the Anniversary Sony:

Looks cool, though I agree with him in that I’d have preferred it to be a proper fully bespoke device rather than just an Android phone without the phone bit.

I have tried a few FIIO and the like, ended up with Pioneer 30R, you can get one around £150 off the bay. Simple memory card Flac player.

https://www.headphonecheck.com/test/pioneer-xdp-30r/

Looks cool, though I agree with him in that I’d have preferred it to be a proper fully bespoke device rather than just an Android phone without the phone bit.
Sony do both so you can choose. Trade-off. Android gets you access to all the streaming apps, Amazon music etc. But it is less efficient.

Tim

Sony do both so you can choose. Trade-off. Android gets you access to all the streaming apps, Amazon music etc. But it is less efficient.

Tim
I’m very happy with my Sony player, which I only really use to play music from SD cards. I couldn’t care less that it runs Android, it works, sounds great, and has a huge battery life.

I still use my ( proper ) Sony Walkman, both for tapes and radio use.
You can keep this ‘Walkman’ as far as I’m concerned...

Techmoan has reviewed the Anniversary Sony:

Just listened to this. Interesting, he says his review is all about the user experience whereas I am pretty much focused on the sound quality; and unlike him, found the wired connection better quality than Bluetooth though of course I have different headphones.

Tim

I almost decided to go for the 45 but just read the latest review on Amazon. Scary

Is that someone who finds the UI awkward? Haven't had any real problems in that respect with the A105. But I think if you prioritise ease of use over sound quality there is probably something better.

Tim

Why is it so hard to find a replacement for a 12 year old iPod? Hasn’t technology moved on?

What's hard about it? The main thing that's happened in 12 years is that most people are using mobile phones and streaming but there are still plenty of nice portable players out there.

Tim

advertisement

Back