advertisement

Advance Audio Australia Dimension 4 turntable

screwball-53

Hi
Is there anybody out there with an Advance Audio Australia Dimension 4 turntable.
This was produced in the 1980s by Peter Riley of Melbourne,who has sadly passed away recently.
There were only about 100 of these produced.
Mine is fitted with an Alphason Xenon arm and At OC7 cartridge, and also a power supply.
I would be pleased to contact anybody with one of these turntables
Cheers

screwball-53

Out of sheer curiosity, please could you post a picture of the turntable. I can't find anything about it online!

By sheer coincidence, I fired up my Advance Audio, Dimension 4 (D4) turntable today after receiving my vintage Naim amps back from overhaul. Loved the sound of vinyl that I've not heard for an age. Actually, it's been 21 years since I last used the D4!

Sadly, the age showed as I got a nasty loud pop followed by quite a bit of smoke from the base of the D4. Curiously, the D4 continued to work just fine whilst I reached for the power-off switch.

I did a quick removal of the base to reveal the circuitry and found (you guessed it) a blown capacitor. Darn!

So, my question...... Does anybody know of a reputable electronics repairer in the West London area who could do a re-cap?

Thanks (in advance)

PS Tried to attach pic, but seems I can't upload as http// link only seems to be available. Help with this pls?

Instructions how to link a pic can be found in the site FAQ (link just below the site logo).

If it is an old belt-drive or idler deck the blown cap is likely just a spark suppressor and could be easily replaced by anyone capable of soldering.

Thank you Tony for your quick and helpful response.

I think I now know what to do. So let's see if this link works...

Image for Advance Audio DImension 4 Turntable:

Thank you Tony for your quick and helpful response.

I think I now know what to do. So let's see if this link works...

Image for Advance Audio DImension 4 Turntable:

Dimension%204%20Turntable_zpspsguhmyz.jpg.html

That's a really interesting deck.

Hitherto, the only Aussie decks I was aware of were the Commonwealth broadcast idler and the Continuum.

If it has the usual AC motor, there will be a capacitor of around 0.22/0.33 uF used a s a phase-shifter, and, as Tony said, an anti-surge cap across the switch.

If the platter won't start, but spins with some manual assistance to get going, it will be the former.

I know this a very late response, but my dad John used to hand-make these turntables with Peter, they both ran a shop Sound Images in Dandenong in the late 80's. He is not all that computer literate, but loved seeing discussions on something he created.

If any one is getting rid of an old Advanced Audio Australia Dimension 4, please let me know.

If any one is getting rid of an old Advanced Audio Australia Dimension 4, please let me know.[/QUOTE]

Hi Aaron,

Im in Bendigo and have met a guy interested in selling his dimension 4 along with a William's tube pre amp.

Jeff41 thanks and see PM.

If any one is getting rid of an old Advanced Audio Australia Dimension 4, please let me know.

Hi Aaron,

Im in Bendigo and have met a guy interested in selling his dimension 4 along with a William's tube pre amp.[/QUOTE]

Here are some pics including platter off, as well as the underside of the top board showing the motor/electrics and part of the spring suspension.

The motor pulley and drive hub appear to be very nicely machined alloy parts (assuming they are original), with the hub, in particular, looking rather Systemdek like. The motor mount is straight up Rega O-ring. It appears that some extra attention has been paid to the electrics beyond the typical resistor/capacitor network.

Mr. Riley certainly didn't skimp on platter mass, with 20mm float glass! Perhaps the extra weight was needed to get a good balanced float with what appear to be none adjustable top board springs.

@Aaron906

Would your father have any recollections of the power supply and/or other design aspects that he'd care to share?

Craig

Last edited:
Craig,
Thanks for sending the photos, they have sent dad (John) on a trip down memory lane. He is glad that there are still a few D4 turntables around.

He says that the motor pulley and drive hub look to be original. The only thing we think we is not original is the belt and stylus. Although they used two or three different arms, but it is probably original.

The D4 turntables were designed to be top-end turntables. Peter and John designed the turntables locally, and sourced locally made parts (e.g. the arms were from Interdyn (Alex Encel)). Peter was an 'audio nerd' and everything had to be perfect, and it was!

As you say, the motor mount is based on the Rega O-ring. The electrics were also made locally, and they were definitely beyond the typical resistor/capacitor network. We can not remember the details of the power supply or electric system (it was over 30 years ago!).

The extra platter mass was done for noise and vibration reduction, and the springs were not adjustable.

Unfortunately, it was such a long time ago, and John is struggling to remember more of the specific design aspects!

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Aaron

Here are some pics including platter off, as well as the underside of the top board showing the motor/electrics and part of the spring suspension.

The motor pulley and drive hub appear to be very nicely machined alloy parts (assuming they are original), with the hub, in particular, looking rather Systemdek like. The motor mount is straight up Rega O-ring. It appears that some extra attention has been paid to the electrics beyond the typical resistor/capacitor network.

Mr. Riley certainly didn't skimp on platter mass, with 20mm float glass! Perhaps the extra weight was needed to get a good balanced float with what appear to be none adjustable top board springs.

@Aaron906

Would your father have any recollections of the power supply and/or other design aspects that he'd care to share?

Craig

Advance Audio Australia Dimension 4 turntable.

My recollections of the Dimension 4 Turntable for Posterity!

Peter Riley was the original designer of Dimension 4 T/table.
He had also managed and designed Encel’s Hi-Fi Stereo store in Richmond, Melbourne.
Encels were the largest Melbourne Hi Fi shop at the time and they had at least 5-6 demo studios!
By comparison TSC had one single speaker demo studio, having just stepped onto the Linn “Shining Path” and matching Flat Earth Society.
In the mid 1980’s, Peter Riley brought his Dim 4 prototype into
“the sound craftsman” (TSC) for evaluation as a potential product.
TSC was the local Linn/ Naim dealer and sold basic Japanese T/Tables along with Rega 2 & 3 and Linn Axis & LP12.
We listened to the Dim 4 against Rega 2 & 3, Dim 4 on par with 2 and the 3 out performed the Dim 4.
Graham Rodwell who owned TSC, disassembled the Dim 4 and saw where improvements could be made.
Peter and Graham retired to the TSC workshop (lathes and drill press etc) and spent the next 5-6 months investigating materials and construction methods to improve the sound quality. Every couple of weeks they would bring in the latest variant for audition. (Linn LP12, Linn Axis and Naim NAP 250 ,Linn DMS system used as reference)
At the end of this time the Dim 4 was well ahead of the Linn Axis in dynamics and clarity and very quiet in terms of record surface noise.
Linn Axis was still an excellent turntable at the price point, which as I remember being $1200 ex tonearm. The Linn Basik 10 or Basik + were $400 to $500 at the time, then a phono cartridge needed. Most commonly fitted were AT95e mm $30 for budget, AT 140ML mm $199 and TSC’s own Garrott Brothers P-82 mm $199 .
The final Dim 4 prototype version and a Linn Axis were fitted with Linn Basik 10 Tone arms and Garrott P-82’s. This was the big shootout!
Linn Axis still excellent but the Dim 4 was now decidedly quieter and more dynamic. The
VFM equation now came into play

The equivalent turntable combinations
Linn Axis combo was $1850.00 rrp

Dim 4 combo was $1350.00 rrp
(Linn LP12 combo was $2550.00 rrp)

Some back ground to pricing.
The exchange rate for the British pound was about 40p to the Aus dollar and stayed that way for years and along with 30% luxury sales tax on imported Hi-Fi,
made Uk hi-fi expensive in our local market.
The Dim 4 went into production, RRP starting at $749 ex tonearm. Encel Stereo, TSC and Sound Images were retail outlets.
I believe 400 + were made as TSC sold at least 1-3 weekly for a couple of years. We were buying 5-6 at a time fortnightly.
Don’t know sales figures for Encels or Sound Images.
The TSC entry level model was Dim 4 , Profile 20 T/arm and a At95e mm. $899.00! ( Rega 3 killer!)
Biggest seller for TSC was the Dim 4, Linn Basik 10 or Basik + and Garrott P-82 $1350.00.
Small numbers of Dim 4 went out with Rega RB300 and Linn Ittok t/arms.
I remember seeing a prototype outboard P/Supply and at least one 78 rpm version was custom made for a TSC client!!!
Basic finishes were Walnut veneer or a Black Satin finish.
Forgotten as to why production finished, maybe Peter moving shops from Dandenong to McKinnon or CD taking “over” in the late 1980’s.
Overall T/T sales died for about 15 years in Australia until early 2000’s.
Just remembering a system we used and really enjoyed at Hi -Fi shows in those years consisting of the following.
Dim 4, Linn Basik +, Garrott P-82
Soundstage Table for T/T (aluminium frame and Aerolam top, Aus made)
Naim Nait 1
Heybrook HB2 and Stands
2 x 3.5 metres Nac 4 or 5
This system was $2995 .00.

This system had synergy in componentry and music play back performance. One of my all time favourites in 30 years of audio retailing.
Favourite demo tracks of the time!!!
Friends of Mr Cairo. Jon & Vangelis
Antarctica Soundtrack. Vangelis
Footloose Soundtrack
Blue Nile, Go West and others long forgotten!
The time scale and Pricing might be a little fuzzy as this was 30+ years ago.I worked at TSC from 1983 - 1999.
The Advance Audio Australia Dimension 4 turntable was well built, reliable and had excellent musical sound and PRAT +.
Definitely World class!

John R Butterworth

Hi All,

Thanks John for the history you posted a year ago and to others who contributed to this very interesting thread

I still have my original turntable. It is working beautifully - never been an issue with the unit - it's just a fantastic turntable

I purchased the turntable in April 1986 at Encel HiFi in Richmond ($700). Just out of uni and looking for an audiophile unit but the competition was a bit steep for my budget. It was purchased with a Grace 707MkII arm and a Grace Ruby cartridge. Alas some years later Grace went out of business as CDs took hold so changed over to a Garrott P77 Cartridge in the late 90's. And that's the configuration it remains in to this very day

The Encel sales rep certainly passed on the advice to keep the lid open when playing. The unit is perfectly balanced in that state. Encel always provided fantastic advice and support. I have fond memories of the demos experienced in that Richmond store

Currently the Dimension 4 is plumbed into my Roksan BLAK amplifier and Spendor A7 speakers. My old vinyl sounds fantastic. Way better than any of my digital sources. So really what we have here is a 34 year old turntable / arm / cartridge (slightly newer!) providing an exceptional source to a more modern amp/speaker combination

I'm in my mid 50's now and am relaying this type of "story" to the younger (20-30's) staff at my work who are now fanatically into high end audio. My advice is "buy good quality equipment" and it could last a lifetime...

The other day I played
- Thomas Dolby "The Flat Earth"
- Thomas Dolby "The Golden Age of Wireless"
- John Fogerty "Centerfield"

20201021-180735.jpg

Regards
Andrew

Last edited:
I just recently dusted off my Dimension 4 turntable, NAD 3120 and Mordaunt Short MS 100 speakers, all purchased from Peter Riley in his Dandenong store over 30 years ago. I spent many friday nights with Peter sharing a beer or three as the dimension 4 was being developed, listening to the various iterations as he optimised design details such as spring locations, platter materials and weights and power supply designs, he was an awesome person and so passionate about this turntable. My recollection was that he was aiming to beat the sonic performance of the Linn Sondek for 1/2 the price and I think he achieved that. As an 18 year old at the time, it was a real stretch to save up for the D4, and I could only afford a low end cartridge, but Peter fitted a upgraded MC one, and the system sounds as good today as it did then.

advertisement

Back