advertisement

Addis pads - probably the greatest single upgrade ever…in the world!

It’s a shame the Diall bumpers don’t come with the same glue as these Kallstrom EVA bumpers I get here in Spain. I’m sure both makes are from PRC. After 24 hours mine are fixed as if one with the Addis pads. My floostanders are only about 15 kilos each I guess, maybe 20 but they certainly don’t trouble the bumpers when I tilt them.

It might well be that setting time for the Diall bumpers is more than a few seconds. Maybe you can't affix and go, so to speak. Maybe it's fix... and wait... and go.

I left mine 24+ hours before even daring to touch them. If poss. with a book or something to deter the slightest movement.

I just dropped the Addis bomb here @ AVF and here @ Quadraphonic Quad. I haven't been on AVF for ages so I won't be surprised if the thread gets pulled for being spam lol.

QQ is quite American-centric so probably not that much use to most of its members, but I was a regular poster once upon a time so I felt I should share the word regardless.

Anyway, feel free to call me crazy here, there or even there :D

As I was sure was the case, the adhesive on the 8mm bumpers is just a thin layer of adhesive, unlike the 10mm bumpers which have double-sided tape in place for adhesive.

I've scraped off the adhesive from 8 bumpers and taken 16 fresh pads and put the new 'naked' combo beneath my speakers. I'm playing music I've never heard before so I have no reference but it sounds good. In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if I play something familiar later and conclude that it makes very little difference if any at all.

As I was sure was the case, the adhesive on the 8mm bumpers is just a thin layer of adhesive, unlike the 10mm bumpers which have double-sided tape in place for adhesive.

I've scraped off the adhesive from 8 bumpers and taken 16 fresh pads and put the new 'naked' combo beneath my speakers. I'm playing music I've never heard before so I have no reference but it sounds good. In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if I play something familiar later and conclude that it makes very little difference if any at all.
This may happen.

Just a thought derived from a very non-technical daydream. 3 possibilities as to where the “magic” lies : capacity ofthe addis pad material to absorb spurious micro vibration coming up from the floor, down from the boxes themselves or the air inside the boxes transmitted via the wooden boxes; What do the bumpers do ? Act as a funnel/magnet to promote more effective pad effect ? Do bumpers participate in the absorption at different frequencies ? or provide better actual contact (as in lands between headshells and cartridges) In any of these cases, without adhesive between bumpers and pads. In other words are the bumpers just catalysts ? or are the combos the real stars ?
How about a "friction fit " between pads and bumpers (sandpapering the mating surfaces after removing adhesive) ?

Sure you lot can think of loads of other angles.
Glad this is all imaginary, anyway

The naked combo is still pretty solid without any adhesive between pad and bumper as they're both quite tacky compounds anyway. Still, it would be good to know for sure where the magic lies. I suspect it's mostly in the pads but the bumpers augment what the pads alone can do by allowing the pads to deal with a wider range of frequencies.

Still, you don't need to know how stuff works to enjoy it :)

One thing I've noticed about the combo is that when you stack them they attenuate the volume. When I moved from 2 pads+bumpers to 3 pads+bumpers I had to reduce the volume of my rear speakers, and yesterday when I dropped back down to 2 pads+bumpers, I had to boost the rears back up to where they were before. I can't remember whether my AVR makes speaker level adjustments in db or simply apportions numerical values, but the difference between 2 and 3 pads is two full increments (or four half steps). I think it's db but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check it out later.

One thing I've noticed about the combo is that when you stack them they attenuate the volume. When I moved from 2 pads+bumpers to 3 pads+bumpers I had to reduce the volume of my rear speakers, and yesterday when I dropped back down to 2 pads+bumpers, I had to boost the rears back up to where they were before. I can't remember whether my AVR makes speaker level adjustments in db or simply apportions numerical values, but the difference between 2 and 3 pads is two full increments (or four half steps). I think it's db but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check it out later.
They soak up energy and turn it into microscopic amounts of heat. No more, no less. This may mean that you have to turn the wick up a little bit. You could achieve the same with a blanket over the speakers, it would do the same. The difference is that you probably wouldn't like the sonic results. But it's the same process.

They soak up energy and turn it into microscopic amounts of heat. No more, no less. This may mean that you have to turn the wick up a little bit. You could achieve the same with a blanket over the speakers, it would do the same. The difference is that you probably wouldn't like the sonic results. But it's the same process.

That sounds about right. Energy has to go somewhere or convert into a different form of energy and thermal conversion is the most likely candidate as to how and why the combo attenuates volume and cleans everything up.

I have 2 very heavy boxes in my system , one is my Norton Airpower ps - ginormous toroidal inside - and the other one, even heavier, isa diy psu for my P10 phono stage - potted tranny and similar choke filter mounted piggy back on the original P10 case. Both have substantial rubber feet and are in fact on the floor inside a cupboard. Before I start risking herniae, what’s your view on a possible response to the Addis treatment.

How did you get on with the Gaia's? Did you keep them.

More importantly, how do they compare to this combo under your speakers?

Overall I'm not unhappy with the sound of my system BUT some tracks can be a little boomy / bassy which muddy's the whole track.

I think the issue is more my placement than anything else but thought I'd try the Giai's to see if they reduced that which they didn't and was my main focal point.

Overell they certainly seemed to enhance clarity but beause of the above and going on holiday I didn't give them enough time and didn't want to be saddled with them as they're not cheap and the eventual solution may be to change my speakers which the version I had may not fit so sent them back.

Once I've resolved the issue I have I'll very definitely try them again but think I need to resolve any underlying problem 1st to give them a "fair" trail. My 1st impressions however were positive, I'd definitely say get a home trial yourself and see what you think.

I have 2 very heavy boxes in my system , one is my Norton Airpower ps - ginormous toroidal inside - and the other one, even heavier, isa diy psu for my P10 phono stage - potted tranny and similar choke filter mounted piggy back on the original P10 case. Both have substantial rubber feet and are in fact on the floor inside a cupboard. Before I start risking herniae, what’s your view on a possible response to the Addis treatment.

I'm sure some users have said they put pads (or pads+bumpers) beneath mains blocks and reported improvements. I'll be getting a new stand for my bedroom system shortly and once I do, I'm gonna put the combo beneath my Norton clone for sure. Considering your two boxes are on the floor it's got to be worth a shot.

Overall I'm not unhappy with the sound of my system BUT some tracks can be a little boomy / bassy which muddy's the whole track.

I think the issue is more my placement than anything else but thought I'd try the Giai's to see if they reduced that which they didn't and was my main focal point.

Overell they certainly seemed to enhance clarity but beause of the above and going on holiday I didn't give them enough time and didn't want to be saddled with them as they're not cheap and the eventual solution may be to change my speakers which the version I had may not fit so sent them back.

Once I've resolved the issue I have I'll very definitely try them again but think I need to resolve any underlying problem 1st to give them a "fair" trail. My 1st impressions however were positive, I'd definitely say get a home trial yourself and see what you think.
Okay thanks.

I already have Gaia's which work fantastically well in my room under my speakers (suspended timber floor).

I was slightly nervous you were going to say the Addis combo was the same as the Gaia's. That's the only place I've not put it, as the speakers are big and very heavy and it would be a monumental faff to do it.

Therefore, I'll leave as-is for now.

Cheers. I have no doubt it’s worth a shot, but is it worth a hernia- they are on the floor but inside a sort of false bookcase and I will need to get inside with them ? I could try my mains block first - much easier. More anon.

Oh shit ! I’ve just put 3 scruffy comboes hastily under my main strip and placed a weight over the opposite end becausecsome of my mains cables are stiffish and tend to anarchy. I swear things have calmed down and Mr. Evans piano tone is sweeter than before. Doctor, what can I take ?

Oh shit ! I’ve just put 3 scruffy comboes hastily under my main strip and placed a weight over the opposite end becausecsome of my mains cables are stiffish and tend to anarchy. I swear things have calmed down and Mr. Evans piano tone is sweeter than before. Doctor, what can I take ?
Take anything you like, if you think that it will work.

advertisement

Back