advertisement

Adding storage space in my fanless PC

Magnuska

pfm Member
Hello!

I need advice from you experienced computer audio users out there!

Today I use a fanless PC with 480 gb msata SSD harddrive inbuilt. Very convenient to have less boxes . Now the time has come to add more storage. What would you do? Buy a larger msata SSD ? Next step is a 1 gb large but it costs. Or an external harddrive connected with usb? What option is best regarding to soundquality?

I use the pc locally connected to a DAC , no streamer. Player J-river 20 with gizmo.

Regards Magnus

Have you considered a NAS? The beauty of it is that you can locate it outside of your listening environment and you can also have another back up drive within the same enclosure. I don't use one myself but I use a Vortexbox which offers similar capabilities. Therre will be plenty who do use a NAS and may offer more knowledgeable advice. You may be able to install JRiver on a Mac Mini?

Hello!

I need advice from you experienced computer audio users out there!

Today I use a fanless PC with 480 gb msata SSD harddrive inbuilt. Very convenient to have less boxes . Now the time has come to add more storage. What would you do? Buy a larger msata SSD ? Next step is a 1 gb large but it costs. Or an external harddrive connected with usb? What option is best regarding to soundquality?

I use the pc locally connected to a DAC , no streamer. Player J-river 20 with gizmo.

Regards Magnus
If you are worried about the noise of an hdd then why not get a cheap NAS, put it in another room (connected to network) and just get the PC's music playing software to point at it (assuming that it too is on the network)?
This has the advantage of making the music available for multi room connection if you like.

Thanks for your suggestions regarding NAS.

Not so interested in a networked solution. I use my PC only for music and storage on my rack placed next to a DAC.

You can buy quiet hdds that can be put in your box with a large slow moving fan to keep the disc cool. I'm not keen on small NAS devices. Small devices have either no fans which is not good imho or small noisy fans.

I use a large PC in a large box with large slow running fans but keep it in a room where some noise doesn't matter. I use a cabled ethernet system. Wi-fi can work, but even good stuff is poor in my situation due to the house construction. Most of my network is wired, but I use smart phones and other wireless devices for control.

Thanks Mudlark,

I have a small PC ( NUC) so only small hd is possible like msata SSD.

Would a normal SSD hd in an external enclosure be as good or better as the inbuilt in regard to soundquality?

Thanks Mudlark,

I have a small PC ( NUC) so only small hd is possible like msata SSD.

Would a normal SSD hd in an external enclosure be as good or better as the inbuilt in regard to soundquality?

Just get something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=2tb+samsung+m3&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=63508259437&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16030645002137578169&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5t94zsumzp_b

A little noise when you are writing, and hardly any when reading.

don't worry about SQ:p

atb

Ronnie.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
SSD's were primarily designed to give rapid startup of programs, and in some cases quicker file access may be a benefit BUT in the majority of cases, if you're just storing data, you won't see any benefit in using a bog standard HDD instead of SSD (music files for example).
So save some money, buy an internal HDD (not a USB external drive unless you have USB3 as they're much slower), keep your system and programs on the SSD as C: and put your data on the HDD.
If your PC is the older NUC then I take some of that back as indeed I don't think there's room for an extra internal drive.

SSD's were primarily designed to give rapid startup of programs, and in some cases quicker file access may be a benefit BUT in the majority of cases, if you're just storing data, you won't see any benefit in using a bog standard HDD instead of SSD (music files for example).
So save some money, buy an internal HDD (not a USB external drive unless you have USB3 as they're much slower), keep your system and programs on the SSD as C: and put your data on the HDD.
If your PC is the older NUC then I take some of that back as indeed I don't think there's room for an extra internal drive.

Whilst the above is indeed sound (see what I did there?) advice,

I think that altogether too much emphasis is placed on 'speed'.

A usb2 external or internal HDD @ 5400 is good enough,especially for music.

YMMV and of course, the OP's.

atb

Ronnie.

For sound quality, according to Amarra, you should have your operating system on a different disk to your music. Therefore perhaps consider using an external drive, for speed USB 3.0 interface is faster. RE Drives, a lot of people use 5400rpm drives as they can last longer.

I wouldn't expect any difference in sound quality, although for many it put's the old "what if?" thought at bay.

HTH.

Thanks Ronnie and Chris.

Could it be possible that SSD discs have an advantage sonically over normal HDD since they are very effecient and put less stress on the cpu!?

Thanks Ronnie and Chris.

Could it be possible that SSD discs have an advantage sonically over normal HDD since they are very efficient and put less stress on the cpu!?

I very much doubt that, cache would be more of a factor IMO, but I'm far from being computer savvy. There are too many people out there wanting to believe and spread such views like wild fire, especially about SSD's sounding better. I would try find some objective theories before spending what is much more money. As posted above, I would rather have a SSD/Flash for my operating system then a 5400rpm drive for a music library.

You might want to check out the computer audiophile forum. Lots of info on this there. Including which brand of drives sound best, apparently ;)

I believe you're thinking too much RE CPU. Anything above a dual core is fine for audio (ok, preferably a bit more), but soon as you get to i5/i7 level audio playback barley touches the CPU.

RAM is key, 8GB or more in an ideal world. Use Audirvana/Amarra, Max out the memory playback and this, AFAIK allows for less wear upon your drives.

Thanks Ronnie and Chris.

Could it be possible that SSD discs have an advantage sonically over normal HDD since they are very effecient and put less stress on the cpu!?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't walk down this road.

I try things and if they work for me (in whatever context) then that is all I ask.

This type of advice/experience seeking can lead nowhere, the ultimate decision lies with yourself.

Just do what you want to do/believe in. If you hear a difference, decide for yourself if it is an improvement (or not).

It's not a life or death thing (or football).

Enjoy!

Ronnie.

While a NAS with a conventional hard disk (5400rpm is more than enough) is what I'd do, I can see the appeal of SSDs in the case of a fanless/silent PCs used for Audio playback, as even some quiet HDs can make some annoying noises at times.

I think you need to determine what options you have for an internal drive.
Can you replace the msata with a larger one, and if yes, what is the cost implication?
Is there space for an additional 2.5" (laptop) conventional hard drive?
My choice would be:
1. NAS or another computer where the music is stored. That can be anywhere in your house on the network. If using a 2nd computer, then you dont even need to set up file sharing, as you can install jriver and serve the library; existing computer becomes a client only (which is what I do).
2. Add an internal drive assuming one will fit. 1tb 2.5" drive for under £45
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009AYVNMQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
3. External usb hard drive with the music files on it, examples already posted on this thread.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thank you Robert. What is the benefit of using a NAS instead of internal or external HD in my setup since I am not interested in using it in the network?
I could see the use if one separates the OS internal HD and having storage externally like someone else said.

I shall perhaps explain a little more about my setup even though many of you perhaps know.

Source is a PC NUC Tranquil fanless I3 Haswell windows 8.1, 8 GB ram
and storage ONLY msata SSD 480gb. I think the enclosure is to small for anything else than msata but I could be wrong. I know the later versions are a bit bigger with space for a normal SSD . If I choose to continue with msata SSD there is a 1 TB choice from samsung called 850 wich would cost almost 350 UKP. This would suit me fine but at a cost, and sort my storage needs for many years to come. And have only flac files no HD files yet. Having only one HDD is of course the hassle when you must add storage. Reinstall OS and all.

PC is powered by a Teddy pardo linear PSU.

Dac is a new Didit DAC 212

Amps are Teddy pardo PR1 and MB-100 monoblocs

Speakers are standmounts Klångedang. T1 ( Solid wood and external crossovers)

I also have a Rega P3 for occasional vinyl listening.

Interconnects are RFC Mercury
Speakercables from Teddypardo

Awaiting an Uptone Regen amber

Regards Magnus

I think you have answered your own question and have made it clear that networking / NAS is not for you. So for £350 I would opt for the larger SSD drive for your NUC and use something like EaseUS to image existing drive and it's free just google it.

The most cost effective way is to store your music on small external portable USB drives. This is what I have done for years very successfully. I also use a music player that will cache the FLAC files that I use in memory. This means that the disks go to sleepy byes whilst the music is playing.

I use a Mac Mini with 8GB RAM and Amarra music player. One big advantage to me is that I don't have to use iTunes.

I actually rip the CDs in my office two floors up from the Mac music player and write the FLAC files directly to the Mac over WiFi and then back up to an identical portable USB drive in my office. Works a treat.

Cheers,

DV

What style of NUC do you have?
There are two different sized of chassis, the taller version supports an internal 2.5" drive as well as the msata drive.

If it has been rehoused into a different case (which I believe it was, as you said fanless and the standard nuc is not fanless) then the addition of another internal drive depends entirely on the case you are using.

From memory all NUCs have an internal SATA connector, so an additional drive can be added (space allowing)

Something like: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-079-AK (obviously need to check which model of NUC board you have to see if it would be compatible)

advertisement

Back