advertisement

Adding Mojo to Nac52

linntroika

pfm Member
I am very happy with my CDS3 and dont foresee any change to my main source anytime soon . I use the Mojo in my headphone setup and i really love what it does for the money . I would like to add the Mojo to my main hifi setup and would budget an additional £1k to incorporate it in . I dont really want to add the Poly as i have heard it has been problematic . Therefore looking for advice on streamer , NUC or anything else that may be suitable
Ps i do have a ipad floating around somewhere so maybe use it as a control panel

Thanks in advance

I am using the mojo into a Nac 72/140 and it works perfect for me. I use the standard Allo DigiOne. A good budget setup. I’m in IT so a RPi setup like the digione is no problem for me.

I would also consider the primare np5 or the meridian 210 if I had to buy it again.

All under gbp 1000 :)

Get a DAC with volume control* (mine is a Lakewest modified MDAC - others are available!) and a raspberry Pi with PiCorePlayer, bin your preamp, and you may find the CDS3 (although possibly one of the best CD players ever) is redundant. I went this way many years ago, when CD players (mine was an original CDS) had some residual value - mine went to Japan, and I got my money back after a decade of use.

I now have a system with £10k speakers, a 1960's power amp and a £30 source - not exactly flat earth anymore...

Although I had been a great Naim fan (probably still am...) and loved their preamps, when I removed my NAC82+ 2 x HiCap etc from my system, the leap in sound quality was quite scary. Using a preamp in a one source system was also a bit daft...

* I don't think the CDS has a digital out, so you may be stuck with a preamp for now.

Cds3 and Nac 52 together more than the sum of parts. Think of changing my set now and then. Nac 552 ? Cord Dave ?
Maybes aye , maybes no.
Would to have to visit a dealer and listen at some point. How much money to better ?
I may not bother.
Could spend a fortune and regret.

Indeed, been there, done that. We were a few days away from getting a NAC 252 / Supercap / Naim DAC to upgrade our system having discovered that the LinnDS outperformed the CDS but we preferred the DAC in the Behringer DEQ2496 to the inbuilt Linn DAC. Then the much promised but not delivered MDAC actually arrived. Comparison between NAC 82 + 2 x HiCap + Naim DAC vs MDAC using Linn DS as source took about 20 seconds.

Mojo into Olive here too, driven by a Pi with a digi hat into spdif and a first generation Amazon fire TV over optical. Great supplement to Vinyl and CD if you aren't already streaming.

Setting up the Pi does need a little understanding but there is plenty of help available from other fishies - check out the threads.

2 Pi's in the house (and an old SB3!) playing internet radio and ripped cd's served from another Pi.

Jim

Cds3 and Nac 52 together more than the sum of parts. Think of changing my set now and then. Nac 552 ? Cord Dave ?
Maybes aye , maybes no.
Would to have to visit a dealer and listen at some point. How much money to better ?
I may not bother.
Chord music cable between them?

I would like the convenience of a DAC/Streamer and have tried many hi end versions but they dont substantially sound better than my CD player . I do love the Mojo and think its tremendous value , having previously had a Hugo 1 .I did use a AR Lunar to connect the Hugo to the 52 previously which i may buy again . When funds are available i would like to audition the Hugo TT into the setup , just currently looking for a source for the Mojo

Or would i be better of going for second hand linn /naim streamer (ebay - for about 1K) or Bluesound Powernode 2,Cambridge CXN V2 ?

Chord music cable between them?
Between cds 3 and nac 52 I use an old Chord anthem. The black thick woven one. Out of production long ago. Best I've heard. Also use one with my Ra Opus 21 now and then.
I have loads of cables at all price ranges - all pre owned and bought over many years. Anthem subjectively for me best of all for top players into various pre amps.

Lunar ? Currently available. Cost ?
Tbh id be gobsmacked to notice a difference between it and anthem.
But - you never know until.....

I've been running a Chord 2Qute for a while now into Naim amplification and the combo works very well. I did demo the mojo at the time side by side for a week and felt that the 2qute easily justified being double the price.

I too have moved to a dac preamp so no longer have use for the chord. See classifieds!

The chord works well with the Chromecast audio for a simple solution which can also be setup as a roon endpoint. I also run the Allo digione with either LMS or Volumio. Volumio was dead easy to setup or you can buy the digione with it preloaded. LMS rather complex and requires a lot more time and support to get working but does offer more scope.

I've been running a Chord 2Qute for a while now into Naim amplification and the combo works very well. I did demo the mojo at the time side by side for a week and felt that the 2qute easily justified being double the price.

I too have moved to a dac preamp so no longer have use for the chord. See classifieds!

The chord works well with the Chromecast audio for a simple solution which can also be setup as a roon endpoint. I also run the Allo digione with either LMS or Volumio. Volumio was dead easy to setup or you can buy the digione with it preloaded. LMS rather complex and requires a lot more time and support to get working but does offer more scope.

Another dac/dig pre convert!
I wonder how many of us on the forum have gone this route?

advertisement

Back