advertisement

Active Xover

john & Jake

Jake was smarter than me
Hi,
Comments welcomed please on the suitability or otherwise of this active Xover circuit with Bariks in mind.
It seems fairly easy for me to build although members who have seen my handywork, ron in particular, may disagree.

xover.gif

Using these values the Xover is set for 310Hz and 3100Hz.
I'll have to research the proper Barik values I think one is 350Hz.
cheers
dogrun.gif

This looks a very standard 24db/octave circuit. I think the Naim design uses 18dB/octave, but this should do at least as well.

You probably need to add some pots on the outputs to allow the levels to be matched.

As the Barik is not a phase coherent speaker (it has multiple drivers spaced far apart), I wouldn't worry about getting phase matching right.

For the 2C values, you can just put two of your C size caps in parallel.

The exact crossover frequency is usually less important than the matching, both between low and high pass and between left and right.

Use reasonable quality opamps, and decent PSU, and it should get you started very nicely - you can always throw better parts at it if it seems promising.

Hi, thanks for the advice, more confident to go with it now.
Theres a handy component c value calculator here http://sound.westhost.com/project09.htm#download_esp_lr
which makes things a bit easier.
I use Rod Elliott's XO PCB for my 3-way active Maggies. As PigletsDad has noted, you do need output level controls ... Rod supplies these on his PCB.

Rod also has a PS suitable for the XO - Project 05.

If you decide you want 18dB slopes instead of 24dB L-R, this can be arranged with a minor circuit mod.

Regards,

Andy

I use Rod Elliott's XO PCB for my 3-way active Maggies. As PigletsDad has noted, you do need output level controls ... Rod supplies these on his PCB.

Rod also has a PS suitable for the XO - Project 05.

If you decide you want 18dB slopes instead of 24dB L-R, this can be arranged with a minor circuit mod.

Regards,

Andy

cheers Andy,
was it easy to build and more importantly how does it sound?

dogrun.gif

cheers Andy,
was it easy to build and more importantly how does it sound?

Hi john&Jake,

Easy to build - yes! :) I had soldered things like speaker passive XOs before but didn't have much PCB soldering experience. Rod's instructions are great and building his actives gave me the confidence to go on and build amp kits afterwards! :) And Rod is a very helpful guy if you have any Qs.

However, some of his PCB tracks are very thin so you don't want to go resoldering too many times (or they'll lift)! :(

How do they sound ... well, IMO - fantastic! :D However, I've never substituted any other active (like a digital one) to compare. I did spend the money on top-o-the-line opamps and caps, though.

I also then substituted another PS for Rod's "Project 05" PS ... which made it sound better still.

The only comment I would make, though, is that yes, you can use Rod's calculator to work out what component values are needed for, say, a 310Hz or 350Hz bass lowpass filter but once these components are soldered in ... you've gotta unsolder them and replace the components if you want to change the XO frequency slightly.

Whereas Marchand make analogue active XO kits which have XO modules which you insert ... so you could buy an 18dB module for 310Hz, 330Hz and 350Hz, say, and play around to getthe one you preferred the sound of. But the Marchand gear is much more expensive ... but then again, it comes with a nice case, already drilled with the bloody holes! :)

Regards,

Andy

I have Rod Elliots P09 and it is powered via his P05.

Totally transformed my listening experience.

Its a clever little x-over, using a Linkwitz Riley topology.

The P5 psu board is run just off a wall wart and does the job nicely, though i might super reg in future.

Get those tweeters protected with Motor Run Caps / high quality X over caps.

Andy:

What Maggies are you using & what amps?

Have thought about trying to convert my MGIIIa's to active crossover, but a bit of a greenhorn when it comes to modding so would be iterested to hear your experience with this xover kit.

I'm curious how, with these off the shelf active xover solutions, people factor baffle reinforcement into the equation?

Andy:

What Maggies are you using & what amps?

Have thought about trying to convert my MGIIIa's to active crossover, but a bit of a greenhorn when it comes to modding so would be iterested to hear your experience with this xover kit.

Hi ntom,

I think you recently sent me an AA PM about "activating" IIIas ... to which I replied. :) Please PM me here on PFM if you didn't get it.

Regards,

Andy

I'm curious how, with these off the shelf active xover solutions, people factor baffle reinforcement into the equation?
Hi Mark,

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "factoring in baffle reinforcement". Maggies use very simple XOs since their drivers are almost entirely resistive. Maggie XOs therefore consist of pairs of LP/HP filters which can be reproduced actively ... 1 pair for 2-ways; 2 pairs for 3-ways.

Regards,

Andy

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "factoring in baffle reinforcement". Maggies use very simple XOs since their drivers are almost entirely resistive. Maggie XOs therefore consist of pairs of LP/HP filters which can be reproduced actively ... 1 pair for 2-ways; 2 pairs for 3-ways.

I've just realised that these are panel speakers so my earlier question is probably not relevant...

advertisement

Back