advertisement

Active IBL's - a shortcut needed

lagavullin10y

pfm Member
Hi, I'm having a Nac 72, hicap, IXO, some various Naim poweramps, IBL's and SBL's around.

I'd like to experiment a bit but I honestly need my hicap in another system.

Is there an unnaimish way of borrowing the preamp power rail from a Nap 200 to the Nac 72 so that I can run a while without the hicap?

Setup would be: Nac 72 --> IXO --> Nap 200's --> IBL's or SBL's.

... saving pennies for another hicap currently :) ...

You could do it, but you'd need a custom cable making up with four DIN sockets. The middle two would connect power from the NAP 200 to the pre-amp, then there would be one from the same pre-amp DIN to take signal to a DIN to be plugged into the IXO and another to take signal from the IXO to the NAP 200 terminating in the same DIN taking power from the NAP 200. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can probably make one yourself, but DINs are fiddly otherwise you could ask Flashback to make one, but I suspect it will be costly. In my opinion (FWIW) I think it will be a bit of a dog's dinner, why not get a Flatcap as they are relatively cheap and negates the need for custom cables. However, and again this is just my opinion mixing Flatcaps and IXOs with NAP200s may cause a bit of a mis-match in terms of quality of components. None of my business really so you can ignore that should you choose to. :D

Thanks Tiggers. I'm afraid you are right. I'll borrow one of the hicaps from my other system and see what it does to the IBLs and SBLs. If it tastes good, I might start a charming offensive against my wife.

Having heard passive and active SBL (and owning passive IBL, so interested in your outcomes) I suspect that the advantages of going active would far outweigh the differences between powering NAC72 with FLATCAP vs. HICAP. *

* IXO being self-powered.

DSC_2569.jpg

Last edited:
Having heard passive and active SBL (and owning passive IBL, so interested in your outcomes) I suspect that the advantages of going active would far outweigh the differences between powering NAC72 with FLATCAP vs. HIGHCAP. *

* IXO being self-powered.

I expect the same, but I'm an Active addict. I expect the difference is bigger on IBLs than on SBLs.

advertisement

Back