advertisement

Active Crossover Build

S-Man

StrivingON
Finally got this project completed, so I'm now one project closer to the NCC300 build.

Actually this one is for a friend, then I need to rebuild my own test mule version in a similar fashion - and stop fiddling with it!

image0.jpg

And here's the test mule:

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

The mule contains:
1) The opamp based XO
2) A discrete high pass section based on the "Time Aligned" filter with a TPR regulator
3) A discrete no-global-feedback error correcting buffer configured as a high pass. http://www.fidelityforce.com/keantoken/content/Kuartlotron.php

After intermittent tweaking over some years I have finally decided that the opamp version sounds best. I have tried many different regulators with each solution (fewer with the K-buffer) and ended up with the orginal 78/7912 with the opamps. Surprising, but that what my ears tell me. Actually the local decoupling makes more difference to the sound than the regs!

Application:
Low pass quasi-LR4 at a mixture of 80Hz and 120Hz
High pass LR2 at 120Hz - which needs the speakers to have a 2nd order rolloff at 80Hz (my main speakers were measured and used to set this frequency. It also works well with e.g. JR149s and LS50s with the fart tube blocked).
This is used to convert my 2-way speakers to semi-active 3-ways. The stereo LF units are flat from <<20Hz to >300Hz with a 1st order rolloff = excellent transient response.

advertisement

Back