advertisement

Acrylic Platters on Rega Planar 3

Rega use a glass platter because it is the hardest material available at the price and works well with felt. Personally, I’d leave it alone and spend the money on records. Sure it’ll sound marginally different but you’ll spend money for a slight difference. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, why not upgrade the cartridge? That’ll make a proper difference.

Truth is the Rega is in a second system. Was my first proper deck years ago and my original Planar 3 got stolen in a burglary so always hankered after another one.

Has a new cart on it and sits on a Rega wall shelf - probably the best upgrade for a Rega in my mind.

I’m just tinkering really...

The old Rega had a Townsend rock trough on it.That was kinda cool!

They've just dropped the gloss finish on the P1, which I think is a mistake as it looks good. ...

I'm happy they seem to be moving away from the "bling" gloss black, which by the time became a dealbreaker for me, simply got tired of it.
Their P6 have a nice mix of matt and gloss finish, now welcomed matt finish P1 & P1 plus, next is hopefully P2.
They could do with choice of more colors though.

Was my first proper deck years ago and my original Planar 3 got stolen in a burglary so always hankered after another one.

Understand. My first proper deck too, I don't count the Dual 505 ;0)

I'm happy they seem to be moving away from the "bling" gloss black, which by the time became a dealbreaker for me, simply got tired of it.

They could do with choice of more colors though.

Yeah, ok. I think you have a point. I'm not a fan of the looks on my RP10. It looks cheap next to an LP12 and, to a casual viewer, looks pretty similar to one of their cheaper decks.

So is that a complaint? Actually...no.

When I owned that first Planar 3 I realized why it was pretty much the perfect product. Apart from the badging, there isn't a single part of the deck that is there just for show. Every part does a job. It's that single minded focus which has caused Rega to design so many class leading products. Yes, many look nice too but it hasn't come at the cost of performance or value.

A turntable has a job to do. Rega concentrate on making it do that job. How it ends up looking is secondary.

Truth is the Rega is in a second system. Was my first proper deck years ago and my original Planar 3 got stolen in a burglary so always hankered after another one.

Has a new cart on it and sits on a Rega wall shelf - probably the best upgrade for a Rega in my mind.

I’m just tinkering really...

The old Rega had a Townsend rock trough on it.That was kinda cool!

Fair enough, although I can never see the point of tinkering with a P3. Completely agree about the shelf though. They’re already a well sorted thing. I can’t imagine they’d be much as a spare if you want to get rid of the chipped one.

Have had happy times with several Rega's and agree that a suitable wall shelf like Rega's own makes for a significant improvement. For a few years I had a P25 and bought an SRM acrylic platter for it, it was by no means night and day but I thought it helped enrich the midrange a little.

3mm achromat in situ..

Initial impressions are that it is an improvement on the std felt. Leonard cohen's voice is richer and more breathy. Slightly greater separation and timing.

Will live this with a bit and maybe swerve the more expensive platter options..

advertisement

Back