advertisement

Acoustics, acoustics, acoustics!

Purité Audio

Trade: Purite Audio
Our main listening room here is not great, main axial length node is around 28Hz
with corresponding second and third order issues.
Huge 20dB plus peaks and almost equally large nulls.
Ten years ago I naively purchased huge quantities of acoustic foam ,which I plastered almost randomly around the room, I was completely ignorant, the foam over absorbed the mid range without even scratching the surface of the lower bass .
Digital room correction seemed a god send, for the first time no bass resonance,
I experimented with the various manufacturers solutions , finally settling on Dirac, choosing just to correct the of the bass frequency problems.
I read one day of the tuned membrane bass traps developed by the Frauhofer
Institute, in conjunction with RPG Acoustics .
These really do work , the only passive solution I have found that really can tackle lower bass, but you still need a large surface area of these traps to really make a difference.
A couple of years ago I read of Christof Faller and his work in acoustics, and of his then new company Illusonic.
The Illusonic IAP processors are a pre amp, DAC, ADC, phono stage, sophisticated EQ, equally sophisticated tone controls, asynchronous USB, and the ability to create your own DSP crossovers for your active loudspeakers.
The IAPs can also seperate who channel audio into multi channel setips, separating the direct, reverberant and ambient sound.( the processor can also play any native multi channel format).
One has to carefully measure one's room from multiple positions , first measurement from the sweet spot, then left ,right, forward and rear.
The measurements and the accompanying WAV files are sent to Christof at Illusonic and he creates the equalisation.
The results are breathtaking, one can easily flit from the corrected to the 'passthrough' ( uncorrected ) so it is simple to compare states.
I now enjoy the finest sound quality I have experienced in my room by a large margin.
If you doubt the importance of your listening rooms contribution to the overall sound quality , then you must try professionally implemented equalisation.
Keith.

Si Hi, when we had Trinnov, their initial correction was to a flat response, which of course no one particularly enjoyed! Often we ended up with more or less the same curve as before, the other stumbling block is that we are all used to the sound in our room, and it was often quite difficult to convince customers that the 'trouser flapping' bass was really just a standing wave.
The equalisation that Christof ( Illusonic) set isn't as flat as DRC but the sound is just much more vital, more alive, and the Illusonic IAP uses some clever processing to seperate direct,
reflected and ambient sound, which like all the other parameters you can adjust.
The combination of passive treatment ( RPG's Modex ) and the Illusonic processing have brought about the best sound quality ,I have heard here.
I have Dirac's DRC here too, and I will compare that with the IAP tomorrow.
Keith.

advertisement

Back