advertisement

Acoustic sounds oscar peterson night train

Subharmonicon

pfm Member
Picked up the Ryan Smith re cut yesterday and compared to my first pressing is a whole lot better in every area. I do hope they do the oscar peterson West Side story next, I'll be all over that one!

I’ve held out on this one as to be honest I’m not a huge fan of this era of Peterson. I actually dug my UK 1st press out the other day and it did little for me. I love Oscar Peterson, but the stuff he did later for MPS (the Exclusively For My Friends series) just eclipses Night Train in every way. That is my goto Oscar in every way.

I’ve held out on this one as to be honest I’m not a huge fan of this era of Peterson. I actually dug my UK 1st press out the other day and it did little for me. I love Oscar Peterson, but the stuff he did later for MPS (the Exclusively For My Friends series) just eclipses Night Train in every way. That is my goto Oscar in every way.
It's funny, as I don't really like any of the mps stuff

This is the Oscar Peterson album I want to hear:

2110317753_78657da23b_b.jpg

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/03/19/oscar-peterson-roland-pianoplus-tb-303-tr-606/

Ignore the hyperbole, Beato analyses a performance of the Oscar Peterson Trio at Ronnie Scotts in 1974... Look at Barney Kessel's face, as Beato points out :)

Night Train is an odd, phasey recording. Cymbals are a mess. I haven’t found a good version yet, and maybe the recording has just always been bad.
So bad that I just can’t enjoy the music, and I wanted to love it, after the great We Get Requests.

It doesn’t sound like one. I love the sound of delicate rivet or chained cymbals. That one is awfully recorded.
The stereo is odd, too. Better press the mono button.

Edit: just litening to it again on iTunes with my AirPods Pro 2 and the recording starts to make sense. Mmm… even the ESL’s don’t like the recording, and the Apple earbuds do? :eek:

By the way, have you noticed?
You Look Good To Me: only Spotify has a perfect version, with no wobble at the beginning.
Every other version I’ve tried has the wobble.

It doesn’t sound like one. I love the sound of delicate rivet or chained cymbals. That one is awfully recorded.
The stereo is odd, too. Better press the mono button.

Edit: just litening to it again on iTunes with my AirPods Pro 2 and the recording starts to make sense. Mmm…

By the way, have you noticed?
You Look Good To Me: only Spotify has a perfect version, with no wobble at the beginning.
Every other version I’ve tried has the wobble.

Likely a digital correction then. There's some mic distortion I think on the final track in the original recording

advertisement

Back