advertisement

Acoustic guitars

I take it you don't fancy a Gibson then, Tony? I spent a fair bit of time trying different guitars and it was the J45 that eventually won me over. It's a non-blingy workhorse with great tone and a short scale length so it's easy to play. Mine isn't perfect, I bought her from someone off PFM as it happens, but I'm looking at her now and I daresay we'll be together a while. She deserves better than me, for sure...

I've had quite a few, Martin, Patrick Eggle, Gibsons, Yamaha, Guild, and now have two keepers. I must add, like you, Im self taught, and probably pretty rubbish in comparison to a real guitar player, but I get by, so ease of playing has also been important to me as sound.

Taylors, while absolutely beautiful to look at are far more high pitched and trebbly than a nice sounding guitar should ever could be. I wanted to like them so much, but they just sounded harsh, there was never any body in them. My brother has a Taylor and still records with it today, but never my bag. I want a guitar to sound like wood, not glass.

I had a couple of Martin D18's, specifically the 2012, which was the year they changed the bracing and made it a special guitar. Wonderful instrument, you could almost feel and smell the deep south wood and open fires in its tone. A lot more top and middle than mid.

Then I picked up a Gibson J45 and Hummingbird, at first the standard J45 and Hummingbird sounded terrible, compared to the Martin they felt empty, soul-less. Next came the Vintage versions of those and the whole world opened up to the sound I had been searching for all my life. Hence to say, I sold every other acoustic to pay for them both, and I doubt I'll ever change them. The J45 Vintage with the aged wood is just a marvel of what a 45 from the 40's sounds like (but without the 15k+ pricetag).

The J45 gives a real deep low down thud, its the guitar you play to let all of your demons out and let your soul be free. Set it up with a set of MArtin Vintage strings, and it sounds like its 60 years old.

The Hummingbird Vintage is sweet like Tennessee whiskey, a midrange silk and tinkly highs and oodles of low drawn out bottom end. Its the guitar you play where everything sounds amazing.

Needless to say, it has to be the Vintage versions of the these guitars, the standard ones, sounded terrible, and as ever with Gibsons QC, you have the find the right one. GAK in Brighton ordered me no less than 5 J45's till the 'ONE' turned up. The Hummingbird Vintage however was perfect on the first one, and from Amazon randomly when they made a pricing error, and I picked up a 3k guitar for £1300. That was a day of joy :)

If you need the wider string spacing have a look at the Martin D18 and D28 Golden Era reissues, they have the wider fretboard like the originals, the 2012 models had the thinner performance neck (easier to play though).

I think for my Dreadnoughts are where my sound is at, but I do like a GA/GC body. Being more of a finger picker these days a parlour guitar would probably work better, but I like versatility, I want a guitar that can do everything from fill a room with some bid chords to be gentle and quiet with picking, the J45 Vintage does just that. It's the guitar I'd keep over everything else and the one I protect with my life.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=122740439363

If you're wanting something more on the budget side of things, Ibanez have released some new acoustics using the thermally adged wood process, Ive yet to play any but friends have and they have been really rated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-AVD10-BVS-Artwood-Vintage-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar/232255717047?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l9372

Picture is left to right, J45 True Vintage 2012, J45 Vintage 2016, Hummingbird Vintage 2016, D18 2012

21o3b7d.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
What you want is a Lowden, the same as mine. These are made in Ireland by one of the worlds most respected luthiers. No slave labour involved and quite a waiting list if you buy new.

I bought mine second hand and in my case is totally wasted on me because I am just plain bloody useless with it. I will just pass it on to my grandson as he is becoming quite a fluent in recent years.

It ticks all your boxes, it is hand made in Ireland by craftsmen and is a definite financial investment, just like Naim and prices are going up all the time. I was once having a jolly good time in a Spanish restaurant somewhere up in the hills and some old Irishman hippy was playing in the background. I struck up a conversation with him during his break and I told him about my Lowden and how useless I was and he went mental. He offered double the price that I paid and wanted to fly back with me to collect it and then fly back again to Spain and he was almost on his knees begging for it.

Do some research and see what you think.

[
I take it you don't fancy a Gibson then, Tony? I spent a fair bit of time trying different guitars and it was the J45 that eventually won me over.

US made Gibson are certainly in contention.

I think for my Dreadnoughts are where my sound is at, but I do like a GA/GC body. Being more of a finger picker these days a parlour guitar would probably work better, but I like versatility, I want a guitar that can do everything from fill a room with some bid chords to be gentle and quiet with picking, the J45 Vintage does just that.

After researching body shapes a bit more I think my AJ10 is a dreadnought, and I want smaller and quieter than that. I think either parlour or Martin 00 type size is about what I’m after. That or a classical.

Do some research and see what you think.

I actually had a friend’s Lowden sitting round here for about half a year attempting to get it to play better. A lovely sounding guitar, though his was an elderly one and had suffered a little deformation of the top leading to an action far to high for low-action electric guitar wusses like me to ever cope with even after working on the truss rod and bridge to get it playing as low and fast as I could. It really did have a beautiful sound though.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The price step between the first one and the dream is nothing like the step between what I would expect to pay for a decent guitar and 3 grand!!!!!????

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Im not sure why that 30's 00 is so cheap to be honest...I know the J45 was the more expensive model of that age, but Ive seen 00's fetch over 10 grand for an original....could be a bit fishy

The more I think about it the more at this stage I’m drawn to a nylon classical guitar and to approach it as a fresh instrument as a total beginner. I rather fancy the idea of a whole new instrument to approach with a clean slate and to try and learn some of the traditional picking etc.

Here’s an Andertons video putting nylon guitars into a more folk/rock setting and they sound very decent to me, though there is not a lot of strumming on display.

I need to find a video of one being played by someone who has no classical sensibilities whatsoever, i.e. do they sound nice with a more folk/pop/jazz technique or are you just wasting a beautiful instrument?
Rather than watching a video, I would have recommended spending 1-2 years at your local music academy (yes, a proper teacher rather than an obscure player who calls himself 'teacher' in order to grease the wheels) and learn the instrument from scratch. Neck is much wider so if your playing position is bad, you will hurt yourself. If I were you I'd try with a C40, have a few lessons and decide from there.

You might not have any 'classical sensibilities', but such an approach would be radically different from your current playing and certainly open some doors for you.

I have a C-40 and it's quite an easy guitar to play, but I imagine there are better options out there for not much more. It's certainly not nearly as nice sounding as higher-up-the-range Yamahas...

I don’t think the classical neck width will freak me out too much, especially coupled with far lower string tension. The Hanika default is 52mm, though as an add-on cost you can specify down to 48mm (I’d just go with the default and learn it). It would be good for me as it will force a correct thumb on the neck back rather than wraped-round stance! I have a feeling I’ll enjoy it as the string spacing will be nearer to my bass and I suspect I’d find picking way easier as I’ve always been crap at that on a guitar as the strings just feel so close together to a bassist! I’m more concerned by the action which is apparently 4-5mm on a classical guitar, which sounds crazy high to me if that is a 12th fret measurement (for comparison my Shergold bass is 3mm on the bass side, my Yamaha SC1200 electric under 2mm). I’ve always liked a very low action.

I’ll maybe toy with the idea of lessons, but I suspect I’d be a truly infuriating student as I’ve never had the slightest interest in playing any pre-existing music and have no interest in learning to read. I’d really love to understand how to pick properly though, but I may be able to make some headway there from YouTube.

I can highly recommend Cort guitars (and basses!). I have a SFX-6B acoustic which plays great, sounds great and has built in tuner and pick up etc in case you want to plug in/gig with it. IIRC about £350 when I bought it about 12 years ago. Also bought a Cort bass guitar.... both were purchased after comparison with Yamaha's, Ibenez's etc at up to 3 times the price of the Cort instruments...

Just to keep the thread awake, not something Tony would want to play but it's just beautiful (the piece I mean, and the playing :)).

I can highly recommend Cort guitars (and basses!). I have a SFX-6B acoustic which plays great, sounds great and has built in tuner and pick up etc in case you want to plug in/gig with it. IIRC about £350 when I bought it about 12 years ago. Also bought a Cort bass guitar.... both were purchased after comparison with Yamaha's, Ibenez's etc at up to 3 times the price of the Cort instruments...
On this I agree, they are great instruments for the money, and I still have a Cort electro-acoustic. In many ways it’s better made than the (much more expensive) J45 Historic that I have, but that’s Gibson for you. One thing, though: Tony may have a problem with Cort’s oft criticised labour practices, though that may all be resolved/improved now and/or a non-issue, depending on how it squares with his ethics.

advertisement

Back