advertisement

Acid Techno Revival

dss

Musical Bons
News from Black Market Records in Soho is it.

They are having a big Acid Techno section, with releases from Tortured, Pounding Grooves, Electrix, Cluster, Stay Up Forever, Pneumatix and the like. These labels are making a comeback. There is a return to straight ahead 4/4 drums beats with less shuffling in the Minimal Techno vein.

Had a good chat to the person behind this, Billy Nasty, who has made a lot of good tracks over the years there.

So, somewhere down South to get this type of music, other than Chewns in Weymouth and that.

No Donk though, perhaps that would be pushing it.

DS

There used to be an Acid Techno records shop there, but it turned into a tattooist is it.

But I will have a look round next time I go, but not that often now MVE has gone.

DS

There today, racks on the wall behind you as you face the counter is it.

Plenty of Tortured / Cluster there, and Billy on hand to advise.

DS

Acid techno certainly made it's way from Camden Market and Zoom Records where Billy Nasty used to work! It worked it's way down to Club Uk in Wandsworth on Friday nights circa '95 and even to the Ministry but they weren't keen on letting common people in to listen to it.
Had the pleasure of spending a few evenings travelling to Billy's sets in the UK with him and Adam his driver.
Good to hear Billy is still involved. Must pop into BM and have a look around as over the years I've just assumed that it was concentrating on 'front room' house.

Yes, despite the moniker, an approachable guy, with lots of history on the scene and an ear for a top rhythm is it.

Here he is:

DS

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like 90's Bristol techno club scene all over again. Acid techno was the only kind of techno to fill the clubs, hard for anything else to a look in. Lots of Billy Nasty and Stay Up Forever style acid bangers and crusty raves. Not a revival for me. :) (nothing against crusties by the way, the music wore me down).

Perhaps Billy could fund the new acid techno scene by licensing Horsework to Tesco's Aldi's and Findus?

[YOUTUBE]?v=6LzCtpj9YN0[/YOUTUBE]

Sounds like 90's Bristol techno club scene all over again. Acid techno was the only kind of techno to fill the clubs, hard for anything else to a look in. Lots of Billy Nasty and Stay Up Forever style acid bangers and crusty raves. Not a revival for me. :) (nothing against crusties by the way, the music wore me down).
yup, Bristol liked it hard and dirty then.

Some will recall Billy Nasty helmed one of the Journeys by DJs mixes back in the days when cd mixes were a big deal...aside from tapes of course :)

You just needed enough speed and it was great.

My main memory of club uk is the sweat dripping off the ceiling and my hands being too wet to roll a smoke.

Those were the days.

advertisement

Back