advertisement

Acetates etc: The In Groove vs. Analogue Planet. Fight!

When I ventured back into the s/h hi fi market in 2019 to buy some pieces after many years of just enjoying what I had, I was astonished that two of the sellers I visited to collect demonstrated their items with Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac respectively. Neither was old enough to have bought those releases first time around.

You dodged a bullet there - you could have been subjected to anything on the Sheffield Labs label or even, "Jazz at the Pawnshop". :D

You dodged a bullet there - you could have been subjected to anything on the Sheffield Labs label or even, "Jazz at the Pawnshop". :D

Jazz At The Pawnshop may well have been my gateway drug into jazz as a genre. I’m pretty sure after hearing it at various dems in the very early ‘80s it was the point where the ‘I actually like jazz’ switch flipped in my brain. I certainly can’t recall owning any jazz album prior to that unless one counts say Gong’s Camembert Electric and a few related spin-offs. I’ve still got it and even dig it out for a play now and again.

Ken Kessler

Just back from Audiojumble where I flicked through some records on the stall next to Ken's. He was telling a punter how great The Beatles were and why his parents generation didn't like them. Fair enough I guess but I don't think he stopped to draw breath for the ten minutes I was there!

Budget didn't quite stretch to that I'm afraid. Though after Tony's recent thread I was tempted by some of the Roberts radios on offer.

A friend of mine has been having a clear out and found his sister’s Philips small valve radio from the 50s (she was much older than him). It’s a beautiful Bakelite design and still works. I hope he’s either going to gift it to me or sell it for peanuts. Needs a bit of cleaning restoration.

advertisement

Back