advertisement

ACD3 help please!

antinchip

pfm Member
My ACD3 lost output in one channel so I sent it back to Les to check out and repair if possible. Les told me it was and odd issue, mech was changed several times but not solved, original mech was fine (I have a spare in any event). Eventually the issue was apparently resolved and the ACD3 sent back to me.

However when hooked up on return, whilst it powered up just fine and disc spinning, there is no output at all. Perhaps transit damage, although transit screw in place, foam in the mech to secure the laser and double boxed. Took the sleeve off, no visible internal damage, nothing loose.

Unfortunately Les is unable to explain works done or help me further at present (genuine reasons) and I have no electronics experience or knowledge. I am nervous about shipping it elsewhere but would be keen to hear from/or suggestions for, someone who might be able to assist. I am based near Chippenham in Wiltshire.

Meanwhile I am in the market for a suitable replacement to tide me over, either short term or otherwise (maybe comparison if the ACD3 is revived), budget in the region of £400. Musical taste in the prog, classic rock genre. Very much enjoy the ACD3 sound. I prefer a rich presentation and dislike anything too strident. Rest of system;

WTA GT with DV20XX Mk2.
Rothwell Headspace head amp.
Croft RIAA-R.
Croft 25R pre-amp.
Croft 7R mono's.
Tannoy Turnberry SE's
Streaming via iphone and AEX or Pure i20 dock.
Legacy Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2 DAC (unused).
Beresford Bushmaster 2 DAC (unused)

I would be interested in any suggestions for a suitable replacement player (Linn Genki on the shortlist, don't like the look of the Regas) and may well do a "wanted" post in the Classifieds section. Many thanks.

Cheers

Anthony

My ACD3 lost output in one channel so I sent it back to Les to check out and repair if possible. Les told me it was and odd issue, mech was changed several times but not solved, original mech was fine (I have a spare in any event). Eventually the issue was apparently resolved and the ACD3 sent back to me.

However when hooked up on return, whilst it powered up just fine and disc spinning, there is no output at all. Perhaps transit damage, although transit screw in place, foam in the mech to secure the laser and double boxed. Took the sleeve off, no visible internal damage, nothing loose.

Unfortunately Les is unable to explain works done or help me further at present (genuine reasons) and I have no electronics experience or knowledge. I am nervous about shipping it elsewhere but would be keen to hear from/or suggestions for, someone who might be able to assist. I am based near Chippenham in Wiltshire.

Meanwhile I am in the market for a suitable replacement to tide me over, either short term or otherwise (maybe comparison if the ACD3 is revived), budget in the region of £400. Musical taste in the prog, classic rock genre. Very much enjoy the ACD3 sound. I prefer a rich presentation and dislike anything too strident. Rest of system;

WTA GT with DV20XX Mk2.
Rothwell Headspace head amp.
Croft RIAA-R.
Croft 25R pre-amp.
Croft 7R mono's.
Tannoy Turnberry SE's
Streaming via iphone and AEX or Pure i20 dock.
Legacy Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 2 DAC (unused).
Beresford Bushmaster 2 DAC (unused)

I would be interested in any suggestions for a suitable replacement player (Linn Genki on the shortlist, don't like the look of the Regas) and may well do a "wanted" post in the Classifieds section. Many thanks.

Cheers

Anthony
Where are you buddy? I could loan you a Genki for a few weeks and provided it doesn’t void any warranty with Les, I can look over your ACD3. I’m in the West Midlands.

Hi, linnfomaniac, I am in Chippenham, Wiltshire. Thank you for the kind offer, which may well be of interest. Let me know your town so I can check journey time and we can perhaps have a "conversation" to see if things might work for us both. Thanks again.

Cheers

I’m in Shire Oak, near Brownhills, between Walsall and Lichfield.

Thanks for that. A four hour round trip it seems, but happy to do that. I will drop you a PM over the weekend so we can establish contact and discuss the possibilities.

As this might be an opportunity to try something different I will be interested in any suggestions from the Forum. I know the Rega's are often recommended but not sure a top loader would work in my rack layout. I might be interested to try a Micromega Stage (?), and the Linn Karik has always been of interest. I remember auditioning the first iteration back in the day but chose to be more frugal and started my CD journey with an Arcam Alpha+. Long since skipped due to failure of the laser. Used an AAA5 and ACD3 since.

Probably worth noting that my main listening has always been vinyl. LP12 until last year when the WTA GT took it's place.

Cheers

No problem, I’ll be at the Wigwam HIFI show on the 22nd, there’s a difference of about 15 minutes extra travel time in each direction for Kegworth but you could kill two birds with one stone. You’re still welcome to come here though.

Thanks Martin, appreciated. I will PM to see if we can sort something out.

Linnfomaniac, I will see if Martin can help first since he is only 20 minutes away. We will see what transpires.

Thanks to you both.

Cheers

advertisement

Back