advertisement

Academies and Free Schools. Still a good idea?

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by free school?

Free Schools are a type of academy, the main difference seems to be how they're established; Academies are usually converted from state schools, Free schools established from scratch by a group of founders.

I know I read it (or reddit) in the paper the other week. I think the academies are set up so they can't make a profit. It is by some amazing coincidence that they end up buying all their bits from companies owned by the academy owners. Not at the best prices either. Guess who wins?

Also can we have proper exams. The school results go up every year and we slide down the world tables in everything. Someone is lying. Yes I know this could actually happen but it isn't.

If we can't figure out the best way to educate (theres more on this in a mo) then how can the actual education be any good? There is also the disaster of the post school education. Crap wages for lecturers. Endless cuts. Even adult education, night school classes, are being slashed or the prices are going up and up. Education of all colours is SO important. This is something that really upsets me.

The Channel 4 Dispatches programme 'How Bosses Spend your Millions' still available on catch up. Well worth a watch

Can any ideological or religious zealot with enough money start one up? What does Toby Potato Head teach at his?

The problem is that Schools were either forced or encouraged to apply for academy status. They were told that they could manage the money themselves and finally chose services they felt provided the best for their children. Since then there have been major cuts and many schools are facing multiple redundancies. It is a mess. PFI is also a nightmare and his cost schools dearly.

Can any ideological or religious zealot with enough money start one up? What does Toby Potato Head teach at his?

Toby Young admits he was arrogant in thinking that running a school would be easy, (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/educ...chool-was-harder-than-i-thought-a3241746.html) and regrets criticising teachers, he now appreciates how hard teachers work, apparently. Academies and Free schools can still make teachers work longer days though, so it remains to be seen if his 'regret' extends to addressing workload issues in his own schools.

Toby Young started off on an idealogical footing, found it all too much, but is now director of a Multi Academy trust with, he hopes 10 - 20 schools. (https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-free-schools-nicky-morgan-education-policies)

Ideology gets translated into empire building quite easily it seems? Of course, the whole academisation process has had more to do with Big Business than education (https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-too-important-to-rush-academies-nicky-morgan)

The Tories started by demonising teachers and the teaching profession then set about carving up education into bite sized chunks suitable for private interest to get their teeth into. They're doing the same with Health, the process of demonising doctors has started; thankfully it backfired in the last attemp as public support for doctors has grown, but the demonisation process will not stop, it will just become better organised, and then Health will be carved up like education.

In a few years when the maintainence costs kick in I expect the government will place them back under LEA control. Waste of time and money and all a vanity project for the Tory party.

The problem is that Schools were either forced or encouraged to apply for academy status. They were told that they could manage the money themselves and finally chose services they felt provided the best for their children. Since then there have been major cuts and many schools are facing multiple redundancies. It is a mess. PFI is also a nightmare and his cost schools dearly.
On the other hand arguably Academies are making fairer use of the "top-slice" amount previously retained by the local authority. LA's are also facing massive financial problems and multiple redundancies.

LA's are also facing massive financial problems and multiple redundancies.

As is happening in Free Schools in Sweden.

Of all the things we could have copied from there, PR, child care, focus on children and education, the environment, hatred of litter, we choose something they got wrong.

Stephen

On the other hand arguably Academies are making fairer use of the "top-slice" amount previously retained by the local authority. LA's are also facing massive financial problems and multiple redundancies.

It's not a fairer use of tax payers money when that money is used to pay for inflated wages, luxury cars, holiday homes, expense accounts, golf, fine dining and giving jobs to kith and kin, not to mention the straight forward theft that happens.

I think that by top slicing you're referring to those services supplied by the LA. But all this means in practice is that the mother, brother, wife of the Academy Trust owner sets up a business to run those services and pay themselves....accordingly. I know the DfE is supposed to check these things, but proper checking does not go hand in hand with the apparent fevered determination to convert to academies as quickly as possible. It's worth noting that when questions were asked of the Bradford Kings Science academy, the head, Sajid Raza, just threatened DfE with Michael Gove, and the questions disappeared

But the real point is that there is no evidence that Academies actually improve learning, in fact, according to a recent report by the Sutton Trust, Academies are disproportionately failing pupils from poorer back grounds

It's not a fairer use of tax payers money when that money is used to pay for inflated wages, luxury cars, holiday homes, expense accounts, golf, fine dining and giving jobs to kith and kin, not to mention the straight forward theft that happens.
I think you're conflating Academies with Multi-Academy Trusts (MATs)

I think that by top slicing you're referring to those services supplied by the LA.
that is exactly what "top-slice" refers to - Academies are given all of the funding directly from the EFA and then need to arrange the supply of the various services which would have been supplied by the LA.

In my experience, this has achieved the following outcomes:
1. Academies continue to procure some of the services from the LA, but the LA pricing has become more competitive - they have reduced head-count, and market the expertise of their remaining staff as commercial services with comptetitive pricing.
2. some of the services are procured in partnership with cluster schools
3. some of the services are procured directly.
4. 100% of the "top-slice" is available to the Academy, whereas before conversion the LA could aggregate the "top-slices" and spend more on some schools and less on others and there was a lack of transparency.
5. the major frustration I had with the LA before conversion was their attitude to applications for places. They were very political and unhelpful to the school. They didn't serve applicant parents fairly - eg. they held a waiting list of applicants for our school, but refused to tell parents when spare places became available. Ironically we have had little choice but to retain the LA for handling applications (for several reasons) and now they are more reasonable but due to cuts completely under-staffed.

But all this means in practice is that the mother, brother, wife of the Academy Trust owner sets up a business to run those services and pay themselves....accordingly. I know the DfE is supposed to check these things, but proper checking does not go hand in hand with the apparent fevered determination to convert to academies as quickly as possible. It's worth noting that when questions were asked of the Bradford Kings Science academy, the head, Sajid Raza, just threatened DfE with Michael Gove, and the questions disappeared
So here you are talking about MATs?

At an individual Academy level I can't see any way that I could profit from being a Director/Trustee without it being very apparent very quickly. Business interests have to be declared regardless whether they are relevant. Relationships with suppliers and staff have to be declared. Any direct billing for goods or services have to be declared. The scheme of delegation and the financial handbook in combination ensure appropriate division of roles and responsibilities (SOX stylee) - Orders cannot be receipted by the same person who placed the order. Purchases have to be formally quoted, purchases over a specified amount have to go out to tender.

Even if I wanted to there just isn't any spare money.

But the real point is that there is no evidence that Academies actually improve learning, in fact, according to a recent report by the Sutton Trust, Academies are disproportionately failing pupils from poorer back grounds
I can't offer any causation for Academy status delivering improvements in educational outcomes. I would, though, say that being an Academy has forced Governors to take a more proactive, business-like role, in the governance of the school and the market-place for 3rd expertise - eg. Maths consultancy - seems more competitive and transparent. In our experience we are a much improved organisation with data to prove it (eventually).

advertisement

Back