advertisement

Abbey Road, 50th anniversary

On the Steve Hoffman forum there is much discussion of the QRP vinyl having a whooshing sound. My copy has this but through speakers it doesn't bother me as it's faint. There is a couple of pops on side 2 and a slight warp. I judge it as acceptable but I suspect if i had anything other than a microline stylus or I did my listening through headphones it would be going back.
It seems a lot of North American customers are seeking Optimal pressings.

I've only skimmed through this thread so may have missed things, but I'd the CD worth the money given that I've already got an old copy of it?

On the Steve Hoffman forum there is much discussion of the QRP vinyl having a whooshing sound. My copy has this but through speakers it doesn't bother me as it's faint. There is a couple of pops on side 2 and a slight warp. I judge it as acceptable but I suspect if i had anything other than a microline stylus or I did my listening through headphones it would be going back.
It seems a lot of North American customers are seeking Optimal pressings.

For £30 it's not good enough. I played the digital version through Tidal (not even the Hi-Fi version, I think the standard version is 320k MP3) and it trounced the vinyl. I have a 1976 repress that is quieter than this and it's not even a good copy!

After believing I was set to get a shiny new Abbey Road of some description in my xmas stocking, I was surprised when I found there none.

So, what to buy? Is the additional content something worth keeping for the longer term? I can listen to it on streaming and buy the single vinyl. Or go all-in and buy the ‘super deluxe’! Decisions, decisions. It is one of my all-time favourite albums, but I already own it umpteen ways...

What’s the vinyl like (pressing-wise)? And are the high-res versions at all worthwhile (considering the limitations of the original recordings)?

For the price of the super deluxe CD I can have AR, White and SP all on anniversary vinyl.... tempted!

Listened to the 'Super Deluxe' edition on Tidal last night. The demo version of I want you/She's so heavy (Trident mixdown) is terrific; the organ is so grunty. I have the house to myself tonight, so looking forward to cranking it a bit.

Only had one whole listen through the album 'proper' so far (and I may have had a jazz cigarette) but the impression is of a drier, more intimate mix (less reverb on George and John's guitars at some points?), with the bass louder and the drums more distinct; a similar impression to the Sgt Pepper remix. It's great hearing McCartney's bass so clear; melodic, groovy, tight as, but still so sympathetic. He playing really was at the top of his game at this stage.

Warning: There is a version of Maxwell's Silver Hammer which is even more terrible than the album version; I did not need to hear that and now I cannot unhear it.
I have just read your comments and was so tickled by the “jazz cigarette “ , I remember them back in the day, they were a fantastic aide to a better musical experience!

advertisement

Back