advertisement

Abbey Road, 50th anniversary

Sorry to hear that, matt j. It's no real help, but I've just logged in OK, so persevere. Or email them, they're usually good at responding, and very helpful.

I believe this would be an appropriate thread to ask for an advice...

I'd like to buy Abbey Road on LP as a present for my wive, but I have no idea if I should wait for this issue, or get some of the older issues from 2012 or 2009 (not really sure about the dates).I'm really not a Beatles fun, but I since I will be forced to listen to them, I was thinking at least to try and go for an issue with a decent sound quality.Older out of print albums are not an option for this.

Any advice? :)

The vinyl quality of the 2017 Sgt. Pepper's and 2018 White Album releases are great. Admittedly, they're both remixes by Giles Martin, but the vinyl SQ on both is great - as is the music, but that goes without saying. Anyway, I think the 2019 Abbey Road LP is going to be of the same quality so I'm in for sure :)

The vinyl quality of the 2017 Sgt. Pepper's and 2018 White Album releases are great. Admittedly, they're both remixes by Giles Martin, but the vinyl SQ on both is great - as is the music, but that goes without saying. Anyway, I think the 2019 Abbey Road LP is going to be of the same quality so I'm in for sure :)

Thanks, I was thinking to make the pre-order anyway today.I just need to decide if I should get the 3LP box, or the regular 1 LP album.

depends whether you want to hear all the outtakes, etc.

I will get the 3LP box, anyway it's a present for a person who loves the album, so I will not try to "save" money on it.I saw somewhere on the SH forum that the pressing plant was supposedly different between the 3LP and 1LP, but maybe this was USA related, maybe a rumor, or whatever.To be honest I don't care that much :)

A £350 Brick in a plastic presentation case... consider the shark, jumped.

SharedImage-92124.jpg

https://shop.abbeyroad.com/Abbey-Ro...ginal-Abbey-Road-Studio-Two-Brick/666L00000Y3

Also posted in the Bargain Box Sets thread:

HighResAudio currently have the Super Deluxe "Abbey Road" in 24/96 for £31.20,plus 15% off until the end of September if you use the code HOT at checkout.

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/alb...es-abbey-road-super-deluxe-edition-remastered

Unless you have Sublime it's £56.49 on Qobuz: https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/abbey-road-the-beatles/trrcz9pvaaz6b or £56.50 on HDTracks: https://www.hdtracks.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/877921/s/abbey-road-super-deluxe-edition/

Went from €35 to €50 before my eyes this morning ;-(

I’ve just noticed that myself, £44.50 now. I remember their pricing on the White Album 50th being a bit fluid, hence the early bird approach. At least somebody else saw it, albeit briefly, to corroborate my post.

Even at £44.50, with the 15% off on top of that, it’s likely to be the cheapest non-Sublime option right now.

The LP just dropped through the letter box. There's a problem though, a least I think it's a problem, it's just so quiet - it must be 10 dB down on what you would normally expect. Anyone else...

The LP just dropped through the letter box. There's a problem though, a least I think it's a problem, it's just so quiet - it must be 10 dB down on what you would normally expect. Anyone else...
Hey gavreid, just give it beans ! I noticed the same with the mono vinyl box, lovely sound but dialled back from the 60s originals.

Listened to the 'Super Deluxe' edition on Tidal last night. The demo version of I want you/She's so heavy (Trident mixdown) is terrific; the organ is so grunty. I have the house to myself tonight, so looking forward to cranking it a bit.

Only had one whole listen through the album 'proper' so far (and I may have had a jazz cigarette) but the impression is of a drier, more intimate mix (less reverb on George and John's guitars at some points?), with the bass louder and the drums more distinct; a similar impression to the Sgt Pepper remix. It's great hearing McCartney's bass so clear; melodic, groovy, tight as, but still so sympathetic. He playing really was at the top of his game at this stage.

Warning: There is a version of Maxwell's Silver Hammer which is even more terrible than the album version; I did not need to hear that and now I cannot unhear it.

Was it wrapped in extra thick bubble wrap? Or maybe it landed on the cat?

advertisement

Back