advertisement

ABBA - Voyage

I did listen to the album. Sorry, I didn't - I dozed off and when I woke up Roon had chosen some previous ABBA to continue with.

Wife wanted to hear it - we did not get very far on the kitchen Alexa. And that track 3! - they have some bad advisors somewhere - or they were too lazy to find a better song to fill up the time with.

Our occasional lock down quiz ran again this weekend and one chap put up a round about ABBA (on the pretext that a recently moved away neighbour of his had been 'responsible' for the ABBA GOLD album back in the day - which did rather well in the sales charts). I got a miserable 3 or 4 points on the round.

Not sure it’s worth commenting on in any depth. For some people it’s the second coming whilst for the rest of us it’s plodding and mediocre. Pays your money and makes your choice. A few years from now no-one will be playing these songs.

I agree, I’ve just had the Yellow Vinyl LP delivered and it’s, erm not very good to be honest and I’m a big ABBA fan. The vocals hide behind the over produced synths and it’s just plain dull IMHO ..

Tickets booked for 22nd July 2022. It should be fun.... hopefully :D
OK, just got back from the ‘concert’ (thanks for closing the M11) and thought I had better report in. It wasn’t just fun, it was almost trippy. I know it’s not Abba on stage, I know it’s all digital rendering, but my brain was having none of it such is the jaw dropping technical tour de force on show here. It’s as close to the real thing as you can get without it being real and it’s so close you will be fooled even if you think you won’t. Even if you don’t like ABBA’s music you’d have be impressed with what they’ve created. The Whitney Houston thing a couple of years ago looked crap frankly and I feared the worst, but this is a whole different ball game.

There is a 10 piece live band, visuals and lighting better than anything I have ever seen clarity and vividness wise, great sound and of course ABBA… in their digital form. The set list is a mixture of the big hits, two from Voyage and some welcome lesser played tracks like The Visitors, Eagle and When all is said and done. It is probably the best thing I have ever seen from a technical perspective and I can’t help but feel it’s a game changer. Put it this way, those that have the rights to Michael Jackson’s, The Beatles and Queen’s back catalogue have probably already been on the phone to ILM.

An utterly stunning show and truly innovative to boot.

We are there on 14/8. Really looking forward to it!
Myself, wife and 13 year old son are going next Saturday. Seem to have avoided train strike that day. Looking at reviews, it likely to be great. If anyone is there next Saturday, I will be the one wearing the Mott the Hoople tee shirt! (my wife does not know that yet...:D)

Well, I have to agree that the show is 'something else'. Was not sure what exactly to expect, but it was visually stunning, and a 'show', not just a digital gig. The parts with the band 'on the stage' looked so real, I could barely distinguish it from real. There was a mix of big screen visuals and a couple of tracks with a kind on Animé animation, which added to a great show.

You don't need to be 'hard core' ABBA fan to go or appreciate it. I would definitely like to go again at some point, maybe on the dance floor....

52252111443_30686ef73d_b.jpg

advertisement

Back