advertisement

ABBA Gold cd

julesd68

pfm Member
Just got an ABBA Gold cd - an impeccable collecton of pop songs, but is there anyone else dissapointed with the sound quality of this? I thought it was a counterfeit copy it's so bad so I bought a UK copy and it's just as bad. The midband is just so prominent it screams at you, and bass is very reticent. Am I asking too much from 30 year old recordings or have they messed this one up? Don't tell me to buy it on vinyl!!

Just got an ABBA Gold cd - an impeccable collecton of pop songs, but is there anyone else dissapointed with the sound quality of this? I thought it was a counterfeit copy it's so bad so I bought a UK copy and it's just as bad. The midband is just so prominent it screams at you, and bass is very reticent. Am I asking too much from 30 year old recordings or have they messed this one up? Don't tell me to buy it on vinyl!!

I am the proud owner of "The Complete Abba" (9CD/2DVD) that came out a couple of years back and pretty much everything on it sounds great.
It says that it was remastered from the original Polar masters at the time, but I'm not sure whether "Gold" volumes 1 and 2 had the same sort of care taken with the sound.

I seem to remember the Wikipedia entry on audio compression mentioning this very album a while back (just looked and the article has changed now). I have an early 90's copy of this CD and don't think it sounds particularly harsh. I think you're just a victim of remastering.

Mark.

Correction: It was the wikipedia article on 'Loudness wars' and wasn't this Abba album. Oops.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I seem to remember the Wikipedia entry on audio compression mentioning this very album a while back (just looked and the article has changed now). I have an early 90's copy of this CD and don't think it sounds particularly harsh. I think you're just a victim of remastering.

Mark.

Correction: It was the wikipedia article on 'Loudness wars' and wasn't this Abba album. Oops.

My box set is a 2006 remaster and sounds very good to my ears- Why don't the record company follow suit with a similar remastering of "Gold"- Very lazy.

Mark.

Well Well....I noticed in the Wiki article that amongst others they have used "One Of Us" from my box set as an example of the dreaded compression.
I must admit I've always found the box overall to be ok sound wise (dare I say it very good in places).
Others on the list such as Keane's "Perfect Symmetry" (my missus likes them not me) do sound bloody awful (a harsh wall of sound effect with blobby bass
and treble that will cut through glass).

advertisement

Back