advertisement

A wee night out.

It is a terrible indictment of capitalism and wealth inequality and one of the main reasons why we need a Corbyn gov to tax the rich to help the poor.
The whole concept of "might is right" and "money is power" that the west runs on sickens me to my core... there is loads of money around, it just needs taking from those who have more than they know what to do with and using to rescue the lives of people who don't know where they will even be sleeping tonight!

That anyone actually owns a private jet or ocean going yacht whilst such inequality exists is to me as criminal and disgusting as mass murder... if only more thought this way....
Did some research on Monday after what I seen on the streets early Sunday morning. Many homeless people are under the impression you cant get money because of no fixed address. This is wrong if homeless people go into their local job centre this can be used as a fixed address to claim much needed money. Sadly this information is not given out.

I agree with Arkless on this and although negative equity would be painful it would pass in time. Renting is 'painful' all the time and there seems little real sympathy or action to help renters. High property prices for homes and business' are a real fiscal drag on the economy and one of the reasons the UK is so uncompetitive compared to many other countries.
Agree. You take away the starter property market the rest above will tumble down in price. Will take a good few years but it's coming. Successful students leaving Uni already have mortgage in student loans to clear. Its political crap for here and now politics not thinking of tomorrow.

Agree. You take away the starter property market the rest above will tumble down in price. Will take a good few years but it's coming. Successful students leaving Uni already have mortgage in student loans to clear. Its political crap for here and now politics not thinking of tomorrow.

Of course, if the projected market value of a property is less than the cost of buying the land and building it, nothing will get built. Supply dries up, oh damn, prices increase. It’s actually the Tories who have paralysed the current market, largely due to property taxation. This is creating a highly immobile workforce, hence, many people actually prefer to rent than buy. It gives them flexibility of opportunity.

Of course, if the projected market value of a property is less than the cost of buying the land and building it, nothing will get built. Supply dries up, oh damn, prices increase. It’s actually the Tories who have paralysed the current market, largely due to property taxation. This is creating a highly immobile workforce, hence, many people actually prefer to rent than buy. It gives them flexibility of opportunity.

Certainly where we are in parts of Essex, something like a £75k plot cost then you're doing well to build a three bed under £300k. If people want cheaper houses you have to pay brickies less and find some cheap bricks!

Just done the sums for four build to lets and it wasn't a viable project. There was a 50 house application next door and that's now been scrapped as uneconomic.

Who are "wealth creators?"
You know, as we all do.
I have no objection to those who risk their own money in setting up and running a business, making a lot of money out of their success
Precisely.
, but do bankers fall into this category, or the heads of oil companies looted from the Russian or Saudi people?
Some do, some don't. There's no one size fits all.
Do the members of the board of a multinational put more into the company than the people who manage it at street level.
Generally yes. If they are successful they have a greater effect on overall success and this should be recognised.

Certainly where we are in parts of Essex, something like a £75k plot cost then you're doing well to build a three bed under £300k. If people want cheaper houses you have to pay brickies less and find some cheap bricks!

Just done the sums for four build to lets and it wasn't a viable project. There was a 50 house application next door and that's now been scrapped as uneconomic.
If it's not viable in Essex then God help areas where housing is cheaper. I can buy terraces in places like Grimsby, in decent areas, for under £50k. That's not the price of the bricks. The snag is that that's not hwere the well paid work and demand for housing is.

Edit - I was speaking to someome yesterday who was talking about low cost housing, things like shipping containers, lorry bodies, etc. These have been used in London, unfortunately they became fashionable hence desirable and out of the financial reach of those for whom they were intended.

I think that we place too much emphasis on the home *ownership* thing in the UK. This is not the case in France and Germany. They have a different market where people rent for many years, and they also effectively tax housing. House taxation is MASSIVELY unpopular in the UK, it would be election death. However it would work to resolve the housing issue. I currently live in a bigger house than I need because I can afford to, it's a nice place and it's a great investment that I can use every day. This is made possible by the fact that the annual charges are minimally more expensive than a smaller house. If this were not the case I would have bought a smaller place. Similarly Stamp Duty, while it's low there is no disincentive to buying a bigger house than you need.

Last edited:
I think that we place too much emphasis on the home *ownership* thing in the UK. This is not the case in France and Germany. They have a different market where people rent for many years, and they also effectively tax housing. House taxation is MASSIVELY unpopular in the UK, it would be election death. However it would work to resolve the housing issue. I currently live in a bigger house than I need because I can afford to, it's a nice place and it's a great investment that I can use every day. This is made possible by the fact that the annual charges are minimally more expensive than a smaller house. If this were not the case I would have bought a smaller place. Similarly Stamp Duty, while it's low there is no disincentive to buying a bigger house than you need.

The system certainly doesn't work; we've got big houses around here minimally occupied. It's too expensive to move, renting part of a house turns it into a business for CGT / IHT. There's a very limited market for big houses in a poor location.

We need to encourage flexibility in both private and public housing, maybe a bit more tax for people with too many spare bedrooms?

So a two-up back to back is good enough for anyone ? "You may not desire a more spacious kitchen/living room/ bedroom ? You may not move to the countryside for a better view and a better lifestyle because the government of Jez had decreed that your accommodations are more than adequate for a family unit'. How big is that unit allowed to be in your world ? ......Three kids and you are doing another homeless person out of a room ?...how many homeless people are you putting up in your house this winter ?

It was the Law of the Jungle that made an ape , a very long time ago , to look over an horizon and to reach that little bit further that got the human race out of the jungle.
Your sort of thinking would leave the human race still in the jungle.

It is the desire of some to want more, to explore potentials , that brings us all up. They are the inventors , the investigators and the creators. Good God man ..you're one yourself ! Without those people who want more ( and that expression is all encompassing ) we would all still a small tribe of about 100 apes sat around scratching our arses.

You are sat typing this bollox on a computer invented by someone who wanted more. You send that bollox down a telephone line invented by some one who wanted more. You send it to a website set up by someone who wanted something more.

Your simplistic world view won't wash..sorry.

Much as your fascist opinions are offensive bollox, at least the first part which you give as a bad example is actually how things should be! Yes you should not be allowed too many kids... we live in an overpopulated world.
Yes the size of your home should be limited. Yes you should be prevented from moving to the countryside for a better view. It is greed, selfishness and all the things that go with "wanting more" that take from those with the least! There is always a loser when someone becomes "a winner" and this must be stopped by force.

Much as your fascist opinions are offensive bollox, at least the first part which you give as a bad example is actually how things should be! Yes you should not be allowed too many kids... we live in an overpopulated world.
Yes the size of your home should be limited. Yes you should be prevented from moving to the countryside for a better view. It is greed, selfishness and all the things that go with "wanting more" that take from those with the least! There is always a loser when someone becomes "a winner" and this must be stopped by force.

So basically you want to live in a highly authoritarian dictatorship. If you have a look around there are some available and I’m sure they’d welcome an electronics engineer perfectly happy to work whatever hours required for low wage and to live in a shit grey concrete high-rise somewhere dull!

So basically you want to live in a highly authoritarian dictatorship. If you have a look around there are some available and I’m sure they’d welcome an electronics engineer perfectly happy to work whatever hours required for low wage and to live in a shit grey concrete high-rise somewhere dull!

You know, it would be such a weight of your shoulders to just come out of the closet... to stop putting the photo of Maggie face down when visitors are round:D

The system certainly doesn't work; we've got big houses around here minimally occupied. It's too expensive to move, renting part of a house turns it into a business for CGT / IHT. There's a very limited market for big houses in a poor location.

We need to encourage flexibility in both private and public housing, maybe a bit more tax for people with too many spare bedrooms?
I don't think that a bedroom tax would work. Too easy to knock down an internal wall, or for flats and bungalows is that a bedroom or a dining room? Oh, it's my office, I run a business from it. Taxing the value is simpler.

What do you mean by "encourage flexibility?"

And Jez , look up the meaning or 'Fascist' will you...cos I don't think it means "someone who's opinions I don't agree with"

I’m half Russian and all our property and belongings were seized by the state and my family either thrown out or shot. The few that remained lived in shit grey high rises somewhere dull.

So I’m a whisker to the right of Jez.

Yes you should not be allowed too many kids... we live in an overpopulated world.
This would be a highly authoritarian society and one in which nobody would want to live. I for one would be the first onto the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry.
"You should be prevented from going to live somewhere with a better view"? Really? Good luck with that one, where you you live, Gasworks Street, off Sewage Works Road, Hartlepool? No desire to live in a place slightly further out?

And Jez , look up the meaning or 'Fascist' will you...cos I don't think it means "someone who's opinions I don't agree with"

Fascist. Usually votes Tory, one of the lowest forms of pond life, this species can often be found congregating with other scum at places such as golf clubs and country clubs where their disgusting Range Rover Vogues which they use to entice small children for their vile practices will usually be found clogging up the roads for miles around. Often recognisable from the gammon tinge to their skin and can be somewhat cross-eyed due to looking down their noses for so long....
Can also be spotted in the ****-ryside where their laughable attempts at camouflage, usually involving green wellies, are exploited to enable them to slaughter innocent animals and birds plus any unfortunate oiks who get in the way of said Range Rover Vogue...
Unfortunately not an endangered species....

This would be a highly authoritarian society and one in which nobody would want to live. I for one would be the first onto the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry.
"You should be prevented from going to live somewhere with a better view"? Really? Good luck with that one, where you you live, Gasworks Street, off Sewage Works Road, Hartlepool? No desire to live in a place slightly further out?

yeah I did say everyone should live 'int box 'int middle of road and eat coal then father beats them to death every night before they do a 28 hour shift... but yer tell it to kids these days and they don't believe yer!

Fascist. Usually votes Tory, one of the lowest forms of pond life, this species can often be found congregating with other scum at places such as golf clubs and country clubs where their disgusting Range Rover Vogues which they use to entice small children for their vile practices will usually be found clogging up the roads for miles around. Often recognisable from the gammon tinge to their skin and can be somewhat cross-eyed due to looking down their noses for so long....
Can also be spotted in the ****-ryside where their laughable attempts at camouflage, usually involving green wellies, are exploited to enable them to slaughter innocent animals and birds plus any unfortunate oiks who get in the way of said Range Rover Vogue...
Unfortunately not an endangered species....

Steady on Jez.... I know a few Tories and they think tend to think of themselves as reasonable/responsible individuals. Of course they are deluded by voting Tory, as are many in this country, but they are not Fascists. I have a deep dislike of the Tory party but in the main they are not Fascists. However Tories are supporters of the minority of the UK's population who own land and in effect they are supporting a dirty corrupt system that works for the few, not the many.

There are 23.9 million home owners in the UK who most likely feel they own the land even if it is mortgaged.

That's how Tories get there support. Not from some corrupt minority clique.

.. just applying the logic from above.

advertisement

Back