advertisement

A Visit to Andrew R

Robert

Tapehead
Popped over to visit Andrew Randle last weekend.
I'd been looking forward to this visit since the system is radically different to the stuff I tend to use, and much of it was built by Andrew himself.

I'd seen pictures of previous versions of Andrew's mono amps about two years ago and got a brief listen at the last Scalford show where they were driving Steve Toy's Tannoys for part of the day. They are the most massively over-engineered sub 20w amps I've ever seen and quite unusual in having no capacitors other than in the PSU, with coupling and phase splitting performed with interstage transformers. Very much a no compromise valve amp and these are designed for 7w output.

Another interesting part of the system for me were the Audio Note loudspeakers, with hemp coned bass/mid drivers and a hybrid horn/reflex cabinet delivering 96dbw sensitivity and some low bass. Often it's one or the other with high sensitivity unless huge cabinets are used, but not here.

The vinyl front end is Lingo LP12/Ekos/Klyde/Linto and this feeds the power amps direct since each has a volume control.

Digital is laptop into Audio Note NOS dac via MF V-Link.

Two parts of this system really surprised me.
I truly wasn't expecting 7w tube amps into the AN loudspeakers to prduce such a powerful and muscular sound. Absolutely no slop or waffle at the bottom, just tight, full and clean. Testament to a quality valve amp properly made.
It will be interesting to see how Andrew develops this as I know he has further plans to push it even further.

The Linn sounded gorgeous and really suited the AN loudspeakers. I always enjoy the sound of a good LP12 front end, and this was excellent. The Klyde surprised me as I'd not heard one previously. Reminded me of the old Asak with lots of drive and guts, and a bit deliberately sweetened at the top.

The AN dac wasn't really my cup of tea and I thought it sounded a bit spotlit and forward, and I found myself preferring the bare signal from the AEX in fact as this sounded closer to the Linn front end presentation. I'm not usually a fan of NOS dacs which might explain my reaction, though Andrew though it was performing below par and needed some attention so the jury is out on that one.

But a lovely sounding vinyl system and one that anyone predisposed to dislike the high sensitivity/low power valve school of system building should definitely hear. It might well dispel a few prejudices!

Andrew was a gentleman as always and I thank him for a thoroughly enjoyable day.

A few pics:

IMG_0073 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0074 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0076 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0078 by trebor1966, on Flickr

IMG_0079 by trebor1966, on Flickr

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the message. I was great to see you, show you the further improvements I made to the amplifiers, show the overall system context and of course play some good music.

It was a shame the Audio Note DAC was not on-form that day (and your summary was spot-on). I had been exclusively using vinyl the past two weeks and the Black Gate capacitors in the DAC needed another notorious warming up cycle.

Having said that, the latest Apple Airport Express is stunningly good. A massive contrast against the early plug-mount version I had, which was dire. The new Airport Express has exceptionally grain-free classy treble and mid, brilliant poise and ambience. Its presentation also gave good tone to the mid and exceptional articulation to the music. The only weakness was some lack of power in the bass. At the price it is a killer bargain.

It has left me wondering:
* What other AK4430 DACs would be like. This was also the first time hearing a DAC with an Asahi Kasei chip.
* Whether the Airport Express would benefit by being opened and having its 3.3V PSU upgraded
* Changing any output caps, but they appear non-existent or hard-to-find in the following tear down http://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2012/06/19/airport-express-disassembly/

I sense another project on the horizon :D

We also discussed Robert's phono stages. Some of the design ideas are really intriguing and unique. This is one to watch.

Andrew

Having said that, the latest Apple Airport Express is stunningly good. A massive contrast against the early plug-mount version I had, which was dire. The new Airport Express has exceptionally grain-free classy treble and mid, brilliant poise and ambience. Its presentation also gave good tone to the mid and exceptional articulation to the music. The only weakness was some lack of power in the bass. At the price it is a killer bargain.

It has left me wondering:
* What other AK4430 DACs would be like. This was also the first time hearing a DAC with an Asahi Kasei chip.
* Whether the Airport Express would benefit by being opened and having its 3.3V PSU upgraded
* Changing any output caps, but they appear non-existent or hard-to-find in the following tear down http://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2012/06/19/airport-express-disassembly/

I sense another project on the horizon :D

Andrew

Some immediate improvement could be made simply by getting some space between the PSU and processing/audio card. There is some induced PSU noise in the measurements. Just letting the circuits breathe is probably a good first step.

advertisement

Back