advertisement

A vintage Quad thread.

Agreed, I was going to suggest Brasso which is quite fine, but I have a feeling that it might be quite acidic and stain more than T-Cut.

I have something in the shed called Safe Cut but I think I'd be concerned that it might be too aggressive. Come to think of it, I have one of those headlight restoring kits in there too, and that has a very fine abrasive suspension - a bit like the cd polishing fluids.

Nope they were developed as a very cheap and cheerful audio connector by RCA back in the 40's. Any old connector will do fine for audio but at RF things get a bit more tricky...

You’re right, they were used to carry HF signals within radio sets later. They literally were ‘phono’ plugs, as you say.
I don’t like them at all. I prefer DINs or better alternatives like Lemos or XLRs and BNCs for HF.
Anyway, odd that my QUAD 22 had (bad) RCAs and so did my old ReVox gear.

‘Feet marks’ etc may well be irreparable as the same scenario to Dust Bugs may apply where the original paint colour under the Dust Bug is preserved, but the rest of the deck is faded due to being exposed to light for 40-50 odd years. I have a feeling this applies to Quads too.

Yeah you might be right. I may just live with them rather than risking rubbing a hole through the paint, which would be much worse.

Find the lovely wood case for the 33 and FM3 and it is a non-issue! I think I paid about £80 for mine:

14289165530_b389d5889d_b.jpg

One thing I'd like to sort is to find a way to remove the subtle marks from (I guess) the feet of an FM3 or similar that had previously been positioned on the top of the 33. They're just darker little circles towards the 4 corners but don't seem to want to polish off.

There is a seller on eBay with a few NOS 33 cases left at £35.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It is afrormosia, not veneered chipwood, and assembled in a traditional cabinet maker way (angled finger joints).

Find the lovely wood case for the 33 and FM3 and it is a non-issue! I think I paid about £80 for mine:

Yeah but then I'd have to buy an FM3 too, though of course that wouldn't be a terrible thing :D.

Those NOS cases are a good spot though, thanks Marchbanks.

Off topic, sorry, but I’ve seen 18th century chest drawers assembled that way.
But of course QUAD sleeves were machined!

I got mine factory new for the princely sum of £ 90 two years ago (the one pictured above).

missed a brand new quad sleeve by a nats it went for over 180

Blimey! bearing in mind that it's 'real wood' not foil wrap, even a knocked about one can be rejuvenated.

I have one tucked away somewhere, need to look it out and list it...

Jim

I solder, use and enjoy DIN plugs.

Great connectors IMHO. They have separate grounding and shielding when properly done, and of course carry both channels.

High quality ones are widely available. Naim use(d) them too.

RCAs are not true audio connectors by the way. They were originally developed for HF signals.
as long as you power down equipment before unplugging rcas they are no problem, nearly 100% of units have them..whilst visiting sun records one of the guys said they changed to rca in the early 50s for some applications . XLRS WERE USED FOR THE LONG RUNS

Agreed, I was going to suggest Brasso which is quite fine, but I have a feeling that it might be quite acidic and stain more than T-Cut.
PEEK METAL POLISH is one of the best ,very gently on the service silver to ceramics, i use it once in awhile for polishing tape heads

Hello all, the original finish on my Quad IIs is starting to show signs of rust at the edges. I am thinking of preventing further creep by applying turtle car wax to the spots. Does anyone have any better suggestions which won't require me to permanently change the current finish as I want to keep them as original as possible.
Many thanks in advance

advertisement

Back