advertisement

A very personal account of a broken society...

tuga

Legal Alien
Working Class Women
Four Thought
Rachael Gibbons discusses class, social mobility and Imposter Syndrome.

In a talk recorded at the Green Man Festival in mid-Wales, Rachael discusses her experiences as a working-class woman. She asks what social mobility means when you find it difficult to fit in at grammar school or university, while at home your friends do different things and you're no longer part of their circle. She tells stories about her imposter syndrome, and how she overcame it. But at the heart of her talk is another syndrome - the so-called 'Jonah Complex', where you're afraid of your own success. Rachael recognises this not just in herself, but in many of her working class friends, she reveals: a fear that success will alienate you from what and who you know and love.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00094hj

I'd also echo recommending people listen. I happened to hear it this morning on the radio, and stopped what I was doing to listen. Struck home with me as I recognised at least a large part of what she described. Ring of truth. You can gain a lot, but lose contact with what you had.

Thanks tuga, I'll give it a listen too as this is a subject with great personal resonance for me. As the son of a steelworker (soon to be unemployed in the Thatcher era) at Oxford, reading Jackson and Marsden's classic study, Education and the Working Class had a huge impact on me (life-changing, I would say).

advertisement

Back