advertisement

A Tory vs A Labour Brexit - What Real-World Consequences?

Tony Benn will anoint Jezza with Kremlin vodka, and the Labour Party will sing The Red Flag, as the UK falls over the No Deal precipice.

Johnson or some other Brexit nutter will become PM. He will try and force a No Deal through on October 31st, even if he has to suspend Parliament.

If there is a vote to stop it, I reckon at least as many Labour MPs, if not more, will cross the floor to vote in favour of a No Deal Brexit.

Labour will enable Brexit, because some of their MPs are hardline Leavers. I don't think Corbyn really gives a monkey's either way, as long as Brexit happens.

Jack
Jack, this thread asks what differences there may be between a hard Tory Brexit and a Labour Brexit.

Can you not leave the hysterical Labour bashing out of it, and try to stay on topic?

Jack, this thread asks what differences there may be between a hard Tory Brexit and a Labour Brexit.

Can you not leave the hysterical Labour bashing out of it, and try to stay on topic?

Fair enough. Personally I don't want Brexit in any form. Plus there is only on withdrawal deal on the table and it's May's.

Jack

Assuming, for the sake of argument, that a VONC follows the appointment of a new Tory PM, leading to a GE, and a Labour led Government, how would this look:

The incoming Labour administration rescinds Art50, or goes to the EU for a long (c2 year) extension, on the promise of a careful rethink of our position. The promise is that we may still leave the EU, but we’re going to make that decision collectively, after an extended period of fact-finding, citizens’ assemblies, Inquiries, and so forth. At the end of that, we’ll be in a position to make a properly informed decision and there’s an outside chance we can get at least some of the opposing sides back on speaking terms.

I could accept a Leave decision on those terms, even if I’d probably still prefer a Remain decision.

Thanks. I reckon if there's a GE and Labour prevail the EU will have to open discussions with them.

Apparently several of the bureaucrats there have said favourable things about Labour's Brexit plan in the past.

They might have discussions Max, but EU representatives have said over an over again in the past few days that another deal won't be negotiated. I trust their word rather than Labour's. Hence I am going to vote Green during the next general election, because Labour is a Brexit Party.

Jack

They might have discussions Max, but EU representatives have said over an over again in the past few days that another deal won't be negotiated. I trust their word rather than Labour's. Hence I am going to vote Green during the next general election, because Labour is a Brexit Party.

Jack
Why not participate in the thread in good faith on topic? It looks like you’re trolling, something you accused another member of the other day.

Why not participate in the thread in good faith on topic? It looks like you’re trolling, something you accused another member of the other day.
Seems fair enough to me and a legitimately held view which is on topic.
That there is little difference in the outcomes, as they both stuff the country for party political gain.
Both are brexit parties, both are absolute fvcking disgraces.

Seems fair enough to me and a legitimately held view which is on topic.
That there is little difference in the outcomes, as they both stuff the country for party political gain.
Both are brexit parties, both are absolute fvcking disgraces.
Yes, it would seem fair enough to you.

Thing is, the anger and intransigence of hard-remainers doesn't do their case any good and will work against such people should there be a second referendum.

Last time I looked I thought the Labour manifesto was a really good.
Have a read. https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/

Yes, it would seem fair enough to you.

Thing is, the anger and intransigence of hard-remainers doesn't do their case any good and will work against such people should there be a second referendum.

Last time I looked I thought the Labour manifesto was a really good.
Have a read. https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/
A really good what? Religeous text? Comic? Wipe? You intrigue me...

Seriously though, re the manifesto, I like this statement of intention very much, and would certainly be all for it, were labour to remove the ludicrous price tag they have misguidedly attached to it...

And apologise, of course. Always a good move in the wake of sly just turning out to have been stupid.

I think this is the view of many on here. Not anti labour per se, but anti one particular labour policy.

Small point. There are no ‘hard line’ remainers, there are remainers. There’s only one form of remain but a multitude of leaves. Adding a Trumpian adjective doesn’t make this any less the case.
Sorry but this is simply incorrect.

You've got some people who voted and still want to remain but have accepted the result and want to move on, ranging to people who basically brand anyone wanting to leave as far-right fascists.

There are very different types of remainers out there.

You've got some people who voted and still want to remain but have accepted the result and want to move on, ranging to people who basically brand anyone wanting to leave as far-right fascists.

If they want to move on - implicitly from their remain position - then they are surely no longer remainers. Obviously.

So remainers who want to leave are remainers, even though they want to leave, and remainers who want to remain are ‘hard line’ remainers because they want to remain.

Incidentally I don’t think everyone who wants to leave are far right fascists, but I can guess what the far right fascists voted for.

Pedantism.

The notion that there is only one form of remainers is nonsense.
Less of the hard remain for those who have a known position, and have maintained it, and a bit more of the former - or Quisling - remainers for those who have compromised their position.
Apart from that your posts make perfect sense.

Sorry Max, hardline Remainers is Labour Leave propaganda. It's another example of how desperate Labour are to pull themselves out of the Brexit ditch they've knowingly driven into.

They look more and more idiotic as time goes by. Waving the big, bad bogeymen of Boris Johnson and the Tories to try and persuade Remainers to vote Labour in many cases won't work.

If Labour turned into an official anti-Brexit Party and said the public could have a second referendum on whether to leave the EU, I might possibly vote for them but trust would be gone. When Corbyn went for the Leave vote after an advisory referendum, that's when they joined the Lib Dems. They became a dodgy Party willing to ditch principles to try and gain votes.

Corbyn knew nationalists and racists voted to Leave and he still went along with it. That's shameful.

Jack

Je suis un remainer! Simply because I have been made poorer since the referendum and this will not improve if Brexit is ever enacted.
If that makes me a hardline remainer, so be it, but know this, anyone who knowingly makes me poorer and actually approves the process that causes it is...err...not the top of my pops.
Perhaps some leave minded person could tell me when this artificial drop in the value of my below national average wage will return to pre-referendum levels. I've asked a few on here but so far I've been talking to the void.
Until then, Brexit? GIRFUY!

A really good what? Religeous text? Comic? Wipe? You intrigue me...

Seriously though, re the manifesto, I like this statement of intention very much, and would certainly be all for it, were labour to remove the ludicrous price tag they have misguidedly attached to it...

And apologise, of course. Always a good move in the wake of sly just turning out to have been stupid.

I think this is the view of many on here. Not anti labour per se, but anti one particular labour policy.
Close but not quite. The missing word was meant to be.... ‘one’. :) Wipe made me laugh.

Fair enough. I just wouldn’t let one policy dominate over everything else.

I support Labour values but I believe there is always going to be something they might do that I wouldn’t support. For example, I don’t think there should be a second referendum on EU membership, but if promising one is what it takes for Labour to be elected to govt, I would take it because they are just so much better than the tories in every respect that is important to me.

Last edited:
Sorry Max, hardline Remainers is Labour Leave propaganda. It's another example of how desperate Labour are to pull themselves out of the Brexit ditch they've knowingly driven into.

They look more and more idiotic as time goes by. Waving the big, bad bogeymen of Boris Johnson and the Tories to try and persuade Remainers to vote Labour in many cases won't work.

If Labour turned into an official anti-Brexit Party and said the public could have a second referendum on whether to leave the EU, I might possibly vote for them but trust would be gone. When Corbyn went for the Leave vote after an advisory referendum, that's when they joined the Lib Dems. They became a dodgy Party willing to ditch principles to try and gain votes.

Corbyn knew nationalists and racists voted to Leave and he still went along with it. That's shameful.

Jack
Jack, rather than giving your thoughts as to whether or not there is such a thing as hard remainers, you take the opportunity to blame Labour for coining the phrase 'hard/hardline remainers'?

With respect, you're obsessed with castigating Labour.

Do you not see this?

advertisement

Back