advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

There's a new series of Louis Theroux interviews. In these he's talking to celebrities, and the ones I've seen so far haven't been very revealing. He doesn't seem keen to dig into his subjects, probably because their handlers won't allow it. The interviews are filmed such that the lights, cameras and microphones are clearly visible, which I suppose is a heavy hint to the viewer that what you're watching is staged.

I am quite enjoying these - i think he has dug a bit, but as always with many interviews, lines will be drawn by the interviewee themselves, the agents and publicists.....i am sure questions and topics are agreed in advanced - it might be interesting to see what was edited out.

A recommendation for The English, did the six episodes in two sittings. I really enjoyed it, beautifully filmed too.
BBC2 / iplayer

Thoroughly enjoying Masterchef the Professionals again this year, with some serious talent. I do miss Monica Galetti though and her steely, no-nonsense presence...

On Mother-in-law's recommendation watched 'The Swimmers' on Netflix;
a really good look from another perspective about the trials of fleeing conflict
and gaining acceptance into a safe country, factually based and an excellent watch.

The 3rd series of His Dark Materials is on iPlayer now. We have just watched 8 episodes over 2 nights which is the most TV I've watched for months. It's excellent, don't be put off by the "young adult" tag.

I listened this week to Rob Delaney's reading of his book A Heart that Works on bbc sounds/radio 4. It concerns the illness and death of his young child. Of course, it's a tough listen but not without humour.
One of the major points is the commitment of junior and senior NHS staff to trying to improve and save his son's life at no financial cost to the family.
Rob is of course, no fan of the Tories.

advertisement

Back