advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

"These were my people...these were my peers, they were my age and they were living my life."

Flick Thorley, Nurse, London Lighthouse.

We are very much enjoying the first series of Stephen Merchant's comedy/drama 'Outlaws' on the I-player about a group of individuals serving their penance having avoided a custodial sentence. Stars Christopher Walken but my favourite character is the Supervisor trying to keep them in check. Good music too.

TROM ... absolutely superb series based in faroe islands .... think shetland crime drama . wonderful scenery and makes you want to vist . on bbc4 sat 9th july

Watched this absolutely fantastic the scenery is something else it’s like Shetland but even more spectacular.

Forest, Field & Sky: Art out of Nature
Dr James Fox* takes a journey through six different landscapes across Britain, meeting artists whose work explores our relationship to the natural world. From Andy Goldsworthy's beautiful stone sculptures to James Turrell's extraordinary sky spaces, this is a film about art made out of nature itself. Featuring spectacular images of landscape and art, James travels from the furthest reaches of the Scottish coast and the farmlands of Cumbria to woods of north Wales. In each location he marvels at how artists' interactions with the landscape have created a very different kind of modern art - and make us look again at the world around us.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b079ckkf

The Ash Dome is brilliant.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03slqt1

https://www.theashproject.org.uk/david-nash-ash-dome/#:~:text=David Nash's famous Ash Dome,of drawings of the dome.

*would also recommend his Age of the Image and The Art of Japanese Life.

I'm getting down with the kidz at the moment and have started watching...

Wreck - comedy horror set on board a cruise ship; great visual style and some sly commentary on zero hour contracts and shitty working conditions generally. Highly enjoyable.

Red Rose - more comedy horror; haven't got too far into this one yet but it looks quite promising.

Industry - bright, ambitious young things compete in a high pressure investment banking environment - cracking, naturalistic dialogue, tons of sex and drugs, what's not to like?

Actually, I tried Industry when it first came out and really hated it - I just couldn't relate to the characters, who all seemed to be selfish assholes. In retrospect, my moral judgement interfered with my aesthetic judgement and, watching it again, I think it's one of the best things the BBC has put out in recent years.

Last edited:
‘Cunk on Earth’ is newish series and very funny, written by Charlie Brooker & team.

‘Am I Being Unreasonable’ - Daisy May Cooper’s new series is really good, kind of comedy drama mystery thing.

‘Rise of the Nazis’ - the 3rd series has just dropped - The Downfall. Very good. A kind of companion piece to the Berlin series mentioned above.

‘Cunk on Earth’ is newish series and very funny, written by Charlie Brooker & team.

‘Am I Being Unreasonable’ - Daisy May Cooper’s new series is really good, kind of comedy drama mystery thing.

‘Rise of the Nazis’ - the 3rd series has just dropped - The Downfall. Very good. A kind of companion piece to the Berlin series mentioned above.
Yes, watched AIBU over the weekend. Very good. Perfect viewing to recover from COVID to.

advertisement

Back