advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

I think there's a new series showing at the moment but we have just finished series 1 and started series 2 of Motherland on BBC I-Player, will strike a cord with anyone who does the school run.

Cheers BB
1 & 2 very good. 3 is showing signs of tailing off...the writers have changed I think.

Edit: The writing team has shrunk.
Graham Linehan bailed after Series 1 and Sharon Horgan after S2.

1 & 2 very good. 3 is showing signs of tailing off...the writers have changed I think.

Edit: The writing team has shrunk.
Graham Linehan bailed after Series 1 and Sharon Horgan after S2.
Series 3 appears to have become a victim of comedy thinking it needs to deal with serious issues. S3 definitely not up to the standards of 1&2, which were proper funny in places.

There's an interesting interview with Diana, Princess of Wales. Might cause a bit of controversy among those who give a damn.

Just picked up my Proms catalogue today. Some great concerts coming up. I'm looking forward to recording them on my Humax TV recorder. One click and you've got the whole series. I did this for the 2019 series. The hummy forum tells you how to mod the recorder and connect it to your PC network. Then you can easily transfer the recordings to the PC. The recordings are in 48K so better than CD (44.1) quality. Halfway through the 2018 series recordings became encrypted to restrict playback to only from the Humax. But a bright programmer published a Java programme to decrypt them again. I play back my files using VLC, optical out to my DAC.

https://hummy.tv/forum/

Just picked up my Proms catalogue today. Some great concerts coming up. I'm looking forward to recording them on my Humax TV recorder. One click and you've got the whole series. I did this for the 2019 series. The hummy forum tells you how to mod the recorder and connect it to your PC network. Then you can easily transfer the recordings to the PC. The recordings are in 48K so better than CD (44.1) quality. Halfway through the 2018 series recordings became encrypted to restrict playback to only from the Humax. But a bright programmer published a Java programme to decrypt them again. I play back my files using VLC, optical out to my DAC.

https://hummy.tv/forum/
I’m still running a couple of Humax HDR-FOX T2 boxes, with custom firmware. Had them for nine or ten years. Very versatile. The custom firmware allows decryption, audio extraction and downloading, and I’ve grabbed many a concert soundtrack.

Mick

I’m still running a couple of Humax HDR-FOX T2 boxes, with custom firmware. Had them for nine or ten years. Very versatile. The custom firmware allows decryption, audio extraction and downloading, and I’ve grabbed many a concert soundtrack.

We have an ancient Topfield PVR that had a new power supply fitted a few years back when it conked out - quirky but brilliant bit of kit. The only reason it's on top of the wardrobe is because the telly died and a year later we're still debating whether or not to get another one...

We have an ancient Topfield PVR that had a new power supply fitted a few years back when it conked out - quirky but brilliant bit of kit. The only reason it's on top of the wardrobe is because the telly died and a year later we're still debating whether or not to get another one...
We had a Topfield before the Humax (and before that a Pace Twin), and the PSU issue was very well known. There was a guy on the Topfield forum who’d fix the PSUs, replacing all the capacitors, for around fifteen quid as I recall!

Mick

Yesterday - that charming Danny Boyle film (with a hint of rom-com) from 2019 in which The Beatles suddenly never happened... John, Paul, George and who? But one guy remembers and brings their music to life. Recommended :)

Yesterday - that charming Danny Boyle film (with a hint of rom-com) from 2019 in which The Beatles suddenly never happened... John, Paul, George and who? But one guy remembers and brings their music to life. Recommended :)

I preferred the sequel.

I make no apologies for reposting.

I preferred the sequel.

I make no apologies for reposting.

Funnily enough, I remember seeing that before... before I saw Yesterday today. In fairness, the guy in Yesterday 2 did a better job than anything I could come up with following a knock on the head - or otherwise ;0)

I watched The Eiger Sanction last night for the first time. I'm pretty sure I'd heard of the film before but somehow I'd never actually seen it; I was born in '73 so I wouldn't have been old enough to see till the late '80s or so. Anyway, the story seemed a tad weak but the thing is, the climbing scenes are good, quite realistic. I mean, I was starting think Clint Eastwood was actually climbing up and down The Eiger... and it turns out he was - apparently, he did all his own climbing and stunt scenes, which explains why it seemed so convincing.

Anyway, well worth a watch. I also think it could make for a great remake to enhance the story and take advantage of modern filming standards (I don't mean CGI). As for who would play Hemlock, like Eastwood, we'd want somebody who would be up for doing their own climbing and stunt work, I reckon we've got some good choices: Tom Cruise or Mathew McConaughey would be good candidates for starters.

advertisement

Back