Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Sep 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

I thought The Irishman was wonderful. De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Scorsese at their brilliant best.

ducatiman, Gerard124 and PhilofCas like this.
  2. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Looking forward to an evening with this one!

35451 and maxflinn like this.
  3. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

You have Netflix, Prime and Apple TV, comrade?

4. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

Well opinions differ, I thought it was awful. The digital de-aging was all over the shop and even though I like Scorsese and the now venerable cast of actors I just didn't think it worked. To me it was like a nostalgic pastiche of their former work. Not to be encouraged otherwise we'll get more of this instead of new interesting material from other directors/ actors.

BJP likes this.
  5. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

I can’t disagree really except to say that I loved it regardless.

6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I just finished watching The Irishman myself and I thought it was great. I sometimes find that my mind wanders when I'm watching film and tv at home but I was pretty much tuned in from start to finish. Recommended viewing :)

ducatiman and maxflinn like this.
  7. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

OMG 3.5hrs!

8. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

I didn’t get bored anyway :)

Fatmarley likes this.
  9. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

I’m only half way through it. The de-aging worked pretty well on most except de Niro I thought. Pesci manages to be very understated compared to his Goodfellas character but still commands every scene he’s in.

10. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

On reading a couple of members here liking ‘The Crown’ on Netflix, have started watching from series 1 (currently it’s at 3) and it’s very very good indeed, as young Elizabeth might have said.

Really getting into and enjoying learning more about the Windsor’s and their staff. Really insightful.

BLACKMASS and Andrew C! like this.
  11. 35451

35451 Guest

Been enjoying The Kominsky Method on NF.

Michsel Douglas is excellent in it. Funny.

12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

maybe i'm more sensitive than most with the visual aspect of visual art, but the de-aging was nauseating and i gave up after 30 minutes. a 40 year-old deniro does not look like this:

[​IMG]

13. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

Very good chemistry between Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. Their various age-related illnesses are something I can relate to. Oh, and even better, no canned laughter!

darrenyeats likes this.
  14. 35451

35451 Guest

Yes they are a great blend of curmudgeon and sweet together. No canned laughter is a major plus. Just started second series last night.

darrenyeats likes this.
  15. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

The Kominsky Method goes to the state of things, really, for in a sea of crime & punishment shows adorned with tits and ass, something with even the slightest day in the life character exploration stands out.

I've split The Irishman into 3 parts and finish tonight. You can't deny good acting, but the mafia genre is about as played as Hollywood's WW2/holocaust obsession.

16. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I didn't find it terrible. I think you're perhaps not effectively suspending disbelief if that aspect killed it for you. On the flip side, they did a good job aging Domenick Lombardozzi.

17. BJP

BJP Pink is the new Blue

Spot on , I had to forget what they looked like in say Good Fellas to get through it , once I put that to the back of my mind it was ok .

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I stated a separate thread on this as I totally agree with you. Anyone who says it is a career highlight of the various protagonists does not understand film, sorry but I feel rather strongly that we have been sold a pup.

crimsondonkey likes this.
  19. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

This really is excellent

darrenyeats likes this.
  20. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

My thoughts too, brilliant film.

ducatiman and windhoek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.