advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon has an awful and very off putting interface. It’s really annoying coming back to a series like Bosch to try and remember which episode I’ve got up to.

I use both an Apple TV and the native app on a Samsung tv - both ‘bookmark’ tv episodes correctly. How are you watching?

Mick

I enjoyed SEE YOU YESTERDAY, on Netflix. It’s billed as a ‘teen’ movie, but I’m a sucker for time-travel tales, so I gave it a go. It’s surprisingly dark.

Mick

I enjoyed SEE YOU YESTERDAY, on Netflix. It’s billed as a ‘teen’ movie, but I’m a sucker for time-travel tales, so I gave it a go. It’s surprisingly dark.

Mick

I don't like teen movies but I do like time travel stuff. Perhaps I should try it?

Have you seen "Dark" on Netflix?

I meant to say if anyone decides to give The Good Place on Netflix a go, it's worth noting that it's a slow-burner so don't expect to get hooked straight away - it takes time to see past the predictable Hollywoodesque veneer, as it were, and for it to make sense for what it is.

What platform are you using? On my TV it clearly marks what I’ve watched.

Sorry for the late reply. I’m just using the Amazon Prime app on my Sony TV, part of the SEN. Bookmarking is quite hit and miss and often shows blank outlines for episodes, it’s often ambiguous. It’s certainly nowhere near as slick and foolproof as Netflix. Maybe there’s a software update I need to run. I’ll have a play when the news finishes.

Interesting as I’m on a Sony TV too, a 50” standard HD so about 5 years old I guess. Mine definitely shows me what episodes I’ve watched, cues up the next episode & series etc, in fact it will just keep playing endlessly moving onto another series it reckons (always wrongly) might be of interest once I’ve watched all of Bosch or whatever. The Sony is pretty buggy though, e.g. every now and again it will complain the network is too slow (it never is) and the only way to get it to work again is to power-cycle/cold-boot it.

I did check and software is fully up to date and set to update automatically (I thought it was). So I’m not quite sure what’s going on. It’s far from unusable and it’s an absolutely excellent TV, it’s just that Prime is a minor PITA. It’s rock solid in all other respects and I haven’t found it buggy ever, so I’ll live with it.

I did check and software is fully up to date and set to update automatically (I thought it was). So I’m not quite sure what’s going on. It’s far from unusable and it’s an absolutely excellent TV, it’s just that Prime is a minor PITA. It’s rock solid in all other respects and I haven’t found it buggy ever, so I’ll live with it.
Depends on the telly, my Panasonic works fine with Prime, Samsung doesn't track the episodes. Netflix episode number/time left is mirrored on each so easy to move from lounge to bedroom and carry on, Prime doesn't sync so you have to guess. Pic quality Netflix is better, Prime starts low def sometimes then seems to catch up and go HD, have 30Mbps fibre so it should be OK from the get go.

Louis Theroux's Dark States - Heroin Town, on Netflix (and iPlayer) is very good.

He visits the US city of Huntington in West Virginia which has been ravaged by a massive heroin epidemic.

It's a tragic tale. Deindustrialisation causing unemployment and despair, made far worse by the greed of the pharmaceutical industry who pushed doctors into prescribing expensive, very addictive synthetic opiates.

Heroin is cheaper, so...

Louis Theroux's Dark States - Heroin Town, on Netflix (and iPlayer) is very good.

He visits the US city of Huntington in West Virginia which has been ravaged by a massive heroin epidemic.

It's a tragic tale. Deindustrialisation causing unemployment and despair, made far worse by the greed of the pharmaceutical industry who pushed doctors into prescribing expensive, very addictive synthetic opiates.

Heroin is cheaper, so...

The same thing is happening here, but not to the same extent yet! Research shows that " Four in five people who try heroin began with prescription painkillers."

Depends on the telly, my Panasonic works fine with Prime, Samsung doesn't track the episodes. Netflix episode number/time left is mirrored on each so easy to move from lounge to bedroom and carry on, Prime doesn't sync so you have to guess. Pic quality Netflix is better, Prime starts low def sometimes then seems to catch up and go HD, have 30Mbps fibre so it should be OK from the get go.

Both our Samsungs cope with Prime ok, although we only use the native app on the recent one. The other works fine but as it’s eight years old it’s very clunky, so we use an Apple TV for Prime, Netflix and local stuff on a server.
Both Prime and Netflix ‘remember’ across devices too. I can watch half a film at home and finish it at our flat no problem. Probably a nightmare now to decide what tv to buy (if we had to).

Mick

Interesting as I’m on a Sony TV too, a 50” standard HD so about 5 years old I guess. Mine definitely shows me what episodes I’ve watched, cues up the next episode & series etc, in fact it will just keep playing endlessly moving onto another series it reckons (always wrongly) might be of interest once I’ve watched all of Bosch or whatever. The Sony is pretty buggy though, e.g. every now and again it will complain the network is too slow (it never is) and the only way to get it to work again is to power-cycle/cold-boot it.
Interresting. I was having that periodic reboot problem with my LTV, but it hasn't happened lately....

Thanks - that makes sense. My TV is a couple of years older than TonyL's , so I guess the Prime app has been improved at some point.

My Netflix recommendations ..

George Harrison: Living in the material world - beautiful, moving, interesting, long (could’ve been a miniseries) documentary by Martin Scorsese

The Defiant Ones - the music of and the relationship between Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine. Superb.

Derry Girls - enjoyable comedy series.

Hip Hop Evolution Series 1 and 2 - very well made documentary about hip hop.

Devil at the Crossroads - excellent documentary about Robert Johnson

Our Planet - possibly the greatest Attenborough series ever.

Amazon Journey - the Story of The Who. Excellent.

Surviving Twin, Loudon Wainwright - nice acoustic concert

Chasin’ Trane

Suburra - good Italian gangster crap

Sex Education - only watched it because Gillian Anderson is in it, honest. (Actually very good - some stars of the future in the making maybe)

Anyone else noticed some movies on prime failing to load in the correct screen format ie defaulting to 16:9 rather than 2.35:1 etc? Most annoying and only happens on some. Sammy 55KS7000 TV, have followed amazon advice and logout and back in again, TV software is up to date and it's only recently started happening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back