advertisement

A thread to discuss great music you can't buy

Get the SPV Revisited version of Movies. It only came out 4 years ago and must still be available for a lot less than £50. It also has the single mix of Cool in The Pool. It also doesn't have one of those terrible Spoon Records Solo Editions cover layouts!

SPV went bankrupt a while back, so some of their excellent Amon Duul 2/Holger Czukay/Popoh Vuh/Klaus Schulze re-issues are sold out. Though oddly they never got round to Holger's Peak Of Normal (I have the 12" promo copy EMI sent out for that album: "Holger's Message To The Sales Force", which consisted of Holger waxing lyrical about ways it could be sold over a backing of various bits from the album. It's very strange and goodness only knows what thee record reps made of it)

Will have a secondd look for the Czukay reissues, though unavailability has now pushed me down a hooky route.

One other record I'd love to see reissued is the soundtrack to the President's Analyst by Lalo Schifrin et al. A great film and one of his best scores.

£29 to you chief.
I sold that Cale CD on Amazon's marketplace a few years back, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get £29. Out of interest, I have tried selling "rare" CDs at fairly stiff prices (by which I mean over £20) on Amazon, and no-one bites.

For those interested in English folk music Celtic Music/Dave Bulmer bought the rights to several folk labels (not least Bill Leader's Trailer label) 3 decades ago and refuses to release any material from them.

I thought I'd have a quick search here to see of anything came up about the odious Mr Bulmer. He died a few years ago and still his family (wife Ruth and son Calum) sit on the huge archive of folk music he bought up during the 70's and 80's, not allowing the likes of Nic Jones to reissue his early albums to raise funds to pay for his care following a car accident. Domino tried to force their hand with a reissue a few years ago and his son Calum won a case against them on the basis that it was basically theirs to do with as they please.

I thought I'd have a quick search here to see of anything came up about the odious Mr Bulmer. He died a few years ago and still his family (wife Ruth and son Calum) sit on the huge archive of folk music he bought up during the 70's and 80's, not allowing the likes of Nic Jones to reissue his early albums to raise funds to pay for his care following a car accident. Domino tried to force their hand with a reissue a few years ago and his son Calum won a case against them on the basis that it was basically theirs to do with as they please.

I managed to get a copy of Domino's reissue of Lal and Mike Waterson's Bright Phoebus just before they were ordered to destroy the pressing run. It's a bloody tragedy that amazing and important records like these are not available because of one family's greed.

I managed to get a copy of Domino's reissue of Lal and Mike Waterson's Bright Phoebus just before they were ordered to destroy the pressing run. It's a bloody tragedy that amazing and important records like these are not available because of one family's greed.
I'm not even sure it's greed. They make bugger all off it. It's baffling and frustrating. Digitally transcribing the best of it and it and charging for it on SoundCloud can't be that difficult?

It is of course, possible that the tapes have completely deteriorated by now.

I've got the Domino reissue too and it's marvellous, much better than the badly-copied cassette I had before. It's a crime that all this music isn't available. When I was a student at Leeds in the mid-70s Dave Bulmer was often at the university folk club. It's fair to say he wasn't universally popular.

AFAICT, almost the entire On-U Sound back catalogue seems to have drifted out of print. This can't be true can it? Amazon has about 6 titles listed and the label itself only has a few new ones in it's store.

Always was a bit hit and miss finding On-U releases in my experience.
If you go to the artists page on the On-u site you can find a lot of stuff available as downloads. Would still love Noah, House of Dread - Heart on vinyl ( got that as a download some years ago but doesn't seem available now)

Desperately want:

It’s Time For - Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers - never seen a CD.
Any Trouble - Any Trouble - ditto.
Pal Judy - Judy Nylon - ditto.
Kraftwerk - those first too albums.

To follow up my opening post there is now a very nice 2x45 audiophile cut of Gil Scott Heron’s Pieces Of A Man. Not cheap, but some albums are just so essential they are worth paying proper money for. Unquestionably one of the ten best albums of the 1970s (along with at least 50 others).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
To follow up my opening post there is now a very nice 2x45 audiophile cut of Gil Scott Heron’s Pieces Of A Man. Not cheap, but some albums are just so essential they are worth paying proper money for. Unquestionably one of the ten best albums of the 1970s (along with at least 50 others).

Had it on CD as a Japanese import for some time before the UK reissues. A lovely album.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back