advertisement

A thread to discuss great music you can't buy

Was (Not Was) - none of the first few albums are available. Pretty much the only thing available is the 2010 compilation Pick of the litter. Even that misses out on some of the album cuts, subbing in single edits.

A lot of power-pop from the 70s and early 80's is also MIA, notably the Rubinoos first albums, the Romantics first album, the Shoes, 20/20 and so forth. Other interesting works include both the soundtracks for Akira and Ghost in the Shell which have an interesting Holger Czukay vibe.

regards,

Giles

Try googling powerpocriminals blogspot.

Lot's of out -of print powerpop, often in .flac.

Chris

As I posted on the Piano Jazz thread.

Ray Bryant / Alone With The Blues. Remaindered 80s reissue vinyl shows up very occasionally, but $185 for the CD on Amazon resellers? Puh-lease.

Holger Czukay - Movies & On the Way to the peak of Normal. Fantastic albums and currently £50 a piece for S/H second-rate CD reissues.

Misty in Roots "live at the counter eurovision" 1977(?). When I look for the cd it comes up at around £95.

Misty in Roots "live at the counter eurovision" 1977(?). When I look for the cd it comes up at around £95.
After a five year mission to find a sensibly priced copy, I recently found one (on discogs) for US$15.
It was still sealed too! Hopefully it will get the reissue it so badly deserves, but don't give up Barry. :)

The first Was (Not Was) album was reissued a few years back as Out Come The Freaks, complete with extra tracks - not sure if it's still available though.
There was also a compilation of early singles called The Woodwork (Squeaks).

Weren't Ze Records great?

Yes I've seen it in the odd second hand place on Amazon (both UK and US) Unfortunately being in Oz, most second hand US/UK places are loath to post except by exorbitant courier rates...

Re Ze Records I was lucky the other day with a record shop clearing out its back shelves. They had two great Ze Records compliations on CD - the Zetrospective series both of which were released in 1991 and which were mint!

More recently a Ze 30 double album was released which had some of the rarer Ze stuff - A Larry Levan remix of Something Wrong in Paradise, the long version of Suicides Dream Baby Dream and James White and the Blacks contort Yourself. Ah Mutant Disco, Those were the days of my youth....Always glad to meet another Ze aficionado.

regards,

Giles

Holger Czukay - Movies & On the Way to the peak of Normal. Fantastic albums and currently £50 a piece for S/H second-rate CD reissues.
They seem to be available according to the Spoon Records website.

Get the SPV Revisited version of Movies. It only came out 4 years ago and must still be available for a lot less than £50. It also has the single mix of Cool in The Pool. It also doesn't have one of those terrible Spoon Records Solo Editions cover layouts!

Yes I've seen it in the odd second hand place on Amazon (both UK and US) Unfortunately being in Oz, most second hand US/UK places are loath to post except by exorbitant courier rates...

Re Ze Records I was lucky the other day with a record shop clearing out its back shelves. They had two great Ze Records compliations on CD - the Zetrospective series both of which were released in 1991 and which were mint!

More recently a Ze 30 double album was released which had some of the rarer Ze stuff - A Larry Levan remix of Something Wrong in Paradise, the long version of Suicides Dream Baby Dream and James White and the Blacks contort Yourself. Ah Mutant Disco, Those were the days of my youth....Always glad to meet another Ze aficionado.

regards,

Giles

Those Ze comps have got some absolute crackers on them.
I was incredibly pleased when the August Darnell Going Places comp got released a few years back, as I'd been after Cristina's cover of Is That All There Is for ages.

I found out this weekend that Dexy's classic "Don't stand me down" is unavailable yet again. It bombed on release, so disappeared. Then Alan McGee decided it was too good for that, so re-issued it on Rev-Ola, but Kevin Rowland insisted on messing around with it - different art work, inferior mix and different track order. The nCreation went bump and it disappeared. Then a deluxe re-issue, again with Rowland messing about with it, but this time to good effect, but that's disappeared too.

I have the original vinyl and the Creation re-issue on CD. Of course the one I'm missing is the definitive version which now goes for silly money. Grrrr.

That is a real pity, because the directors cut of DSMD sounds much better.

A couple of others that have been on my hunting list for more than a decade -

John Cale - music for a new society (described as his bleakest album, which given Fear and others is a major achievement - my vinyl is so worn out)
Eno - Box 1 Instrumentals (this is my benchmark for silly money, in Oz it hasn't been sighted for less than $450 for years...)

regards,

Giles

advertisement

Back