advertisement

A thread to discuss great music you can't buy

In terms of music you can't buy, I like to play my own. Probably nobody else will ever hear it, but I enjoy it more than listening to somebody else's.

I was surprised

and then I looked in the rack and realised that I had them both

D'oh

I waited a long time to get Animation ny Jon Anderson

right

Big Daddy - What really happened to the band of '59

anyone got that?

Dave

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on VINYL

Oh wait, it's being reissued next year. Eventually most make their way there. :)

The old guy and his band playing some stompin' (if that's the right word) traditional jazz outside the Abbesses metro to-day. Wonderful voice, and that band could really play. Fans from 80 to 8 were tapping their feet and having a whale of a time.

Jon Hassell - Aka Darbari Java.

Pretty much the rest of his albums are in print*, but for some reason this one isn't.

*though if anyone's got a copy of The Vertical Collection hanging around that they don't want, I'm sure I could give it a good home.

The Larry Williams Show featuring Johnny Guitar Watson (1965) Storming Soul/Blues/Rock LP briefly reissued on Edsel in the 80's and 90's. Represses go for £25 S/H and are pretty scarce and not great quality.

Was (Not Was) - none of the first few albums are available. Pretty much the only thing available is the 2010 compilation Pick of the litter. Even that misses out on some of the album cuts, subbing in single edits.

A lot of power-pop from the 70s and early 80's is also MIA, notably the Rubinoos first albums, the Romantics first album, the Shoes, 20/20 and so forth. Other interesting works include both the soundtracks for Akira and Ghost in the Shell which have an interesting Holger Czukay vibe.

regards,

Giles

The first Was (Not Was) album was reissued a few years back as Out Come The Freaks, complete with extra tracks - not sure if it's still available though.
There was also a compilation of early singles called The Woodwork (Squeaks).

Weren't Ze Records great?

advertisement

Back