advertisement

A thread to discuss great music you can't buy

Tony L

Administrator
A thread to express moral outrage and indignation about hugely important titles that are currently out of print. I shall start with:

#1 Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man. The revolution will not be reissued, repackaged or rereleased. His greatest album and one of the most important records made in the whole of the 1970s. At the moment if you want a copy you have to buy a compressed MP3, 'unofficial' vinyl, or find a copy of the long-deleted 2001 CD lying around on the internet somewhere. I am absolutely stunned such a wonderful and hugely influential album is unavailable.

#2, #3 & #4. Kraftwerk 1, 2, and Ralph & Florian. Yes Mr Hütter and Mr Schneider, we can see the mound under the carpet where you tried to brush history in the hope no one would notice. But we did notice. We saw what you did there, and many of us still have the original vinyl, and we'll keep telling people about it because we think it's rather good. You can't just slam the car door and drive away from your back catalogue. (amazingly these three titles have never had an official digital release, any CDs out there are pirates taken from needle-drops of vinyl, likewise any non-1970s Vertigo or Philips vinyl is a fake - these are very widely pirated titles, and the same goes for the pre-Kraftwerk RCA Organisation album.)

Next!

Janos Starker playing Bach's cello suites on SACD.

Joe

anything by bix beiderbecke

and the atlantic warehouse fire saw off quite a few irreplaceable masters.

The first Subway Sect album. Albeit this might be veering into the territory of great albums that were never made depending on whose story you go with.

Van Morrison "St. Dominic's Preview", it's criminal that this title is presently out of print. Imagine if Neil Young let "Tonight's The Night" or "On The Beach" go out of print, it's of that magnitude.

What an excellent thread.

Ralf And Florian for me is the big one, I too own the Vertigo vinyl but to hear 'Ananas Symphonie' in well remastered sound would be terrific- I agree with Tony in saying that the other OOP Kraftwerk/ Organisation stuff is no less important.

There's loads of other bands/artists of course.....Microdisney, Andy Pawlak, Friends Again's 1st LP, loads of post punk stuff etc that haven't seen the light of day yet.

Jerry Yester & Judy Henske - Farewell Aldebaran

One of the few remaining genuinely lost classics to be re-issued. A wonderful collection of late 60s songs with a psych edge, though it really defies genres. One of Zappa's Straight releases that has never seen the legitimate light of day (the Radioactive CD is a needle-drop no-noised to death, and the Phoenix release is a needle-drop no-noised to death with the treble then turned up from the same company under a different name).

It's incredibly varied, from the outright rockist:

[YOUTUBE]4vpWds0u-nc[/YOUTUBE]

to the anthemic:

[YOUTUBE]---5FLxqpCY[/YOUTUBE]

and everything in between:

[YOUTUBE]3Bx-_YgTucg[/YOUTUBE]

The first Steve Winwood album remains mystifyingly out of print, particularly considering his subsequent success (with albums nowhere near as good).
Tim Buckley's Starsailor (though with Blue Afternoon finally appearing recently, I guess it won't be long)

I had no idea the Gil and Van albums were out of print - bizarre.

A thread to express moral outrage and indignation about hugely important titles that are currently out of print. I shall start with:

#1 Gil Scott-Heron - Pieces Of A Man. The revolution will not be reissued, repackaged or rereleased. His greatest album and one of the most important records made in the whole of the 1970s. At the moment if you want a copy you have to buy a compressed MP3, 'unofficial' vinyl, or find a copy of the long-deleted 2001 CD lying around on the internet somewhere. I am absolutely stunned such a wonderful and hugely influential album is unavailable.

That album is available on vinyl. Not sure how kosher it is.

Great man, GSH. I had the good fortune of seeing him live in the 80ies and have been a fan ever since. I've named I'm New Here as my 2012 R2D4.

" Air " by Air.. an American fusion ( horrible tag ) jazz oriented band from the early 70's. Lovely album and would cost nothing to put out.

.. and if anyone has the vinyl that they would part with? Let me know.

That album is available on vinyl. Not sure how kosher it is.

As far as I'm aware that's a pirate, almost certainly cut from the 2001 CD. Sony Legacy own Flying Dutchman, and as they don't even have the title in print on CD I suspect the vinyl being legitimate is improbable in the extreme.

The situation with Ralf and Florian baffles me. To my ears it has more in common with Autobahn than the latter does with anything that follows. Also, it's not like Autobahn has the classic 70s line up either. Also, Autobahn was on Philips/Vertigo, so not the EMI/Capitol era either. Great album.

Slightly less great, but still an album from a bands classic era: Hawkwind/Warrior on the Edge of Time. Every CD of this is a boot AFAIK, due to missing masters.

Not every cd of 'Warrior' is a boot, though most of them are. The one issued on Griffin in the mid 90s is legit, albeit not from the original master tapes which are missing presumed lost.

For those interested in English folk music Celtic Music/Dave Bulmer bought the rights to several folk labels (not least Bill Leader's Trailer label) 3 decades ago and refuses to release any material from them.

Well I've just learnt that a few things in my stash might be worth a bit more than I thought they were :)

Jerry Yester & Judy Henske - Farewell Aldebaran

One of the few remaining genuinely lost classics to be re-issued. A wonderful collection of late 60s songs with a psych edge, though it really defies genres. One of Zappa's Straight releases that has never seen the legitimate light of day (the Radioactive CD is a needle-drop no-noised to death, and the Phoenix release is a needle-drop no-noised to death with the treble then turned up from the same company under a different name).

It's incredibly varied, from the outright rockist:

[YOUTUBE]4vpWds0u-nc[/YOUTUBE]

to the anthemic:

[YOUTUBE]---5FLxqpCY[/YOUTUBE]

and everything in between:

[YOUTUBE]3Bx-_YgTucg[/YOUTUBE]

+++++1 on that. The follow up, "Rosebud", is, if anything, even better.

the track "Reno" is one of my all time favourites.

Chris

Tom Waits - Night On Earth.
Not complaining too much, as the vinyl seems to be going for daft money (see also Bone Machine and The Black Rider)*
It'd be nice to have a DVD reissue of Big Time as well - baffling why such a great concert film is unavailable.

*not that I'd part with them.

The situation with Ralf and Florian baffles me. To my ears it has more in common with Autobahn than the latter does with anything that follows. Also, it's not like Autobahn has the classic 70s line up either. Also, Autobahn was on Philips/Vertigo, so not the EMI/Capitol era either. Great album.

Wasn't there some kind of comment to the press back when the re-masters were done a couple of years ago - that at least 1,2 were going to be done shortly after the current "canonical" albums? Clearly the established church of Dusseldorf continues to take a hard line on the apocryphal.

advertisement

Back